Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · First studio shoot in almost a year. C&C welcome.

Chip Sprague
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · First studio shoot in almost a year. C&C welcome.

Friend of mine. It was too short notice to find a stylist and she was travelling so wardrobe was pretty limited. Flashpoint 2x4' softbox, beauty dish, reflector, monolights and grid.

Jul 03, 2013 at 01:13 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · First studio shoot in almost a year. C&C welcome.

Welcome back, Chip.

I see quite a few things to improve on in these.

#1. The hat is in focus and exposed well, but once we go lower, the dark tones of hair, dress, shoulder and side of her face are all blending together into one dark area. Maybe the main light should have been on the right where it could light up the front of her.

#2 & #3 Still dark on the shadow side. I think you need more DOF to keep more of her in focus. It's not like you are blurring the background. Again in #4 & #5 shouldn't that nice dress be in focus?

#5 & #10 both seem to have the watch in sharp focus more so than her face.

I do very little studio lighting, so I hope others will jump in with some suggestions for you.

Jul 03, 2013 at 05:17 AM
kvandrews
• •
p.1 #3 · First studio shoot in almost a year. C&C welcome.

Hi Chip.

Lovely model. 10 is my favorite. Lighting seem a little hot in many of these. You may consider moving your strobe a little closer and reducing power for softer lighting. Also consider adjusting the reflector to better expose the shadows on her left side. I also agree with Jim.

Jul 03, 2013 at 09:29 AM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · First studio shoot in almost a year. C&C welcome.

7 would be my pick.

What was your goal for these Chip? Portraits? Modeling? What qualities are you trying to convey here.

Jul 04, 2013 at 02:52 AM

Peter Figen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · First studio shoot in almost a year. C&C welcome.

To my eye, and I do a LOT of studio lighting, the light is the biggest problem here. I feel that your not getting any wraparound, or at least not nearly enough. If it were me, I'd be moving that light as close as possible to her and pay close attention to the angle to your subject. I feel like your backgrounds are either too light or too dark and consequently are fighting your subject for attention. It also feels like she could use a little makeup, or some powder at least. She feels just a bit too shiny. A little digital makeup is in order then. The images where you can see her watch, it's way too prominent and distracting. Overall, the last shot (#10) is the most successful of the bunch. She looks great except for the watch. The light is nicer than in most of the others and the background and color balance are working for you as well. I'd like to see a version of that with the watch retouched out, which should be a pretty simple job on this image - just to see if my hunch is right.

Jul 04, 2013 at 08:34 AM
Chip Sprague
• •
p.1 #6 · First studio shoot in almost a year. C&C welcome.

Thank you for the thoughts thus far. This was impromptu; no stylist available. She has never modeled. We just had a small room to work in and no pre-designed backgrounds (just my pop up muslin and plain colored walls). That said I did have a couple of hours and some real grip to work with so any shortcomings I definitely take ownership of.

In 06 and 07 I started out trying to emulate William Coupon and migrated to these - they are my favorites of the bunch. The rest are just playing around with an old friend and seeing what works. My overall goal was simply to make portraits of my friend that capture her personality. The whole range together does that - 5, 6, 7 and 10 together do that actually.

07 is my favorite too, Evan. It was also the instant favorite for her. Her mom actually preferred 01.
08 I have done once before but it has been a few years. I was just revisiting the technique and liked the smile.

As to specific critique:
-I like the falloff. We were going for a make believe album cover. Again, I started out the session thinking William Coupon so I was okay with dropping to black.
-Agree the focus is a little off. Still unique enough and best expression of that lot. Not off enough for me to care.
-Don't mind the DOF in 2/3 at all. It is just a simple black thing she had in her bag.
-Agree the watch is a distraction. Probably should have knocked that focus down with a blur/mask.
-Lighting I agree is a touch hot in some areas on 2, 4 and 9
-Self Crit: Not sure I like the falloff (split light) in 03. I put it out there to see if people had a reaction either way.
-Lesson learned - I was trying to crush the DOF but my lights were too powerful so I actually backed them off a little bit. :/

I quite like 06 but my connection to the subject may be coloring my judgement there. I shot that with a reflector at right. Took that out and tried it with a light at the right. Back that light off. Brought it forward. Bounced it off a wall. Decided I liked it better with just the one light.

Jul 04, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · First studio shoot in almost a year. C&C welcome.

So a general thought on the lighting, similar to what Peter said:

As a general rule (of course there are exceptions), we naturally expect to see higher lighting ratios in darker settings and lower lighting ratios in lighter settings. You have inverted this here for the most part: you have more fill on the dark background (4&5) and less fill on the light background (1,2,3,9,10). The light in 8 works in part because its low ratio on a light background. The light in 7 works better than many of the others because its a higher ratio on a darker background.

As I said, its not a universal rule, but its something to keep in mind.

I would also pay attention to that nose shadow encroaching on the cheek (see 6 vs 7 for example). Generally, if the nose shadow goes laterally onto the cheek it should connect to form a full Rembrandt triangle... otherwise it makes the nose look big. It is usually best to keep it inside the zone formed by the nasolabial folds and the lips. And always remember that pose affects lighting. I wouldn't be surprised if the key was in the same spot for #'s 2 & 6, but because of her head tilt the lighting *pattern* is better in #2 than in #6.

Jul 04, 2013 at 04:17 PM
Chip Sprague
• •
p.1 #8 · First studio shoot in almost a year. C&C welcome.

"we naturally expect to see higher lighting ratios in darker settings and lower lighting ratios in lighter settings"

That clicks. Hadn't really thought about it in those terms. Phrasing it that way helps.

"And always remember that pose affects lighting"

This is what happened in 06. It was set up for her to be straight on and that is a gesture... kind of an "okay smartass".

I see the shadow problem recurring there now that you spell it out like that.

Thanks!

Jul 04, 2013 at 07:05 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password