Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Telephoto lens for child photography

mikerod76

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Telephoto lens for child photography

I currently have a Nikon d700 and a 85mm 1.8G. This combo is great for capturing tight portrait shots that are about 3-5 feet away. However, I find myself having a difficult time shooting my daughter while she is in a spot where I can not get close up. For instance, I was at a park that had a water sprinkler type thing that kids would run through. I had to be anywhere from 10-20 feet away or I and my gear would get wet. I am looking for any recommendation on lenses. I was looking at the Nikon 300mm F/4 AF-S.

Jul 02, 2013 at 06:15 PM
tonebag
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Telephoto lens for child photography

If it's in your budget get the 70-200 VR II and that should solve your distance problem. While the 300 f4 will certainly cover the distance , the 70-200 will give you alot more flexibility not only in focal length but also in dof. Let us know what you decide.

Jul 02, 2013 at 06:27 PM
mikerod76

p.1 #3 · Telephoto lens for child photography

Thanks for the info Tonebag. However, I must admit that I tend to stay away from zooms. Even ones known to be great like the one you mention. Reason is I really like to AF fine tune all my lenses and I have read that there is a sacrifice one must make with a zoom. Either fine tune at 70mm, 200mm, or somewhere in between.

Jul 02, 2013 at 06:33 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Telephoto lens for child photography

I would really advise you to go the other way. I wrote this a while back and even feel further cemented in these beliefs as my family continues to grow: http://thefamilyphotojournalist.blogspot.com/2010/01/launching-family-photojournalist_04.html

Shooting telephoto often times eliminates context. Context helps tell a better story. Buy a 35mm f/1.4 and start to document the daily life of your girl. You'll thank me in 20 years

Jul 02, 2013 at 08:07 PM
mikerod76

p.1 #5 · Telephoto lens for child photography

Interesting Canerino. What do you think about the 35mm f/2?

Jul 02, 2013 at 08:21 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Telephoto lens for child photography

The 35 F2 is a nice lens that is small and light with good optics. It is a perfect lens to do as Canerino has suggested. I agree the 35 is a wonderful focal length to capture such family moments. It is one of my most used lenses.

Jul 02, 2013 at 08:38 PM
zalmyb
• • •
p.1 #7 · Telephoto lens for child photography

I'm with Chuck (Canerino) on this. Go wide or go home!

Jul 02, 2013 at 09:27 PM

canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Telephoto lens for child photography

mikerod76 wrote:
Interesting Canerino. What do you think about the 35mm f/2?

I am not familiar with Nikon optics, but that would do just fine I suppose. I also understand that Nikon makes a nice 28 f/1.8. Thats the one I would buy. 28mm is really a great focal length for family photojournalism.

I think if you keep with the telephotos you'll have a collection of 'empty photos' as your daughter gets older. They will be nice, sharp, good color, etc. But what story will they tell? What memories will your daughter have when looking at them?

Jul 03, 2013 at 01:13 AM
mikerod76

p.1 #9 · Telephoto lens for child photography

canerino wrote:
I am not familiar with Nikon optics, but that would do just fine I suppose. I also understand that Nikon makes a nice 28 f/1.8. Thats the one I would buy. 28mm is really a great focal length for family photojournalism.

I think if you keep with the telephotos you'll have a collection of 'empty photos' as your daughter gets older. They will be nice, sharp, good color, etc. But what story will they tell? What memories will your daughter have when looking at them?

I have stayed away from the 28mm f/1.8 due the many reports of focus shifting.

Jul 03, 2013 at 01:36 AM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #10 · Telephoto lens for child photography

From what I've heard about people who actually use the 28/1.8, you should just get one and shoot with it. Don't read too many reviews, 20 years from now it's the photos that will matter.

Jul 03, 2013 at 07:35 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #11 · Telephoto lens for child photography

I'd go with the 35/2. If I had to sell every lens for my D700 but one, that's the one I'd keep.

Jul 03, 2013 at 08:30 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Telephoto lens for child photography

mikerod76 wrote:
I have stayed away from the 28mm f/1.8 due the many reports of focus shifting.

I wouldnt know about that. I know people that have and love the 24/28/35 in Nikons lineup. For me, its a lot less about critical sharpness and more about capturing moments with meaning. For example, one of my all time favorite photos was taken with an iphone last month: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1216822

Jul 04, 2013 at 06:36 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Telephoto lens for child photography

these are all iphone snaps: www.anerino.vsco.co

Jul 04, 2013 at 07:10 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #14 · Telephoto lens for child photography

+1 on the wide

I don't shoot Nikon so I don't know the exact options, but my 17-40 gets a TON of use w/r/t family pj

it's all about getting right in there

Jul 07, 2013 at 04:17 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password