Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

dhphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

David Baldwin wrote:
Sorry, I am feeling rather stupid. Could someone just simply sum up for me what is interesting about this new camera, there must be something, I just can't see it.

I know that sounds sarcastic, but its not meant to be. What are the major advancements that this body represents please? In practice. For stills.

It *seems* to me to be mainly the improvement in liveview and video focusing speed and a couple more meg, plus wifi, but maybe I've missed the point.

It doesn't interest me at all, which I regard as a good thing from a money-spending point of view

Jul 03, 2013 at 12:52 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

David Baldwin wrote:
Sorry, I am feeling rather stupid. Could someone just simply sum up for me what is interesting about this new camera, there must be something, I just can't see it.

I know that sounds sarcastic, but its not meant to be. What are the major advancements that this body represents please? In practice. For stills.

For stills...19 x-point AF that is an improvement over the 60D but still not as good as the 7D as it is missing spot and expansion AF modes. If you use live view for focusing then it will have some useful improvements over all other Canon cameras.
But really there isn't much to get excited about for still photos using the OVF.

Jul 03, 2013 at 01:00 PM
jorkata
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

David Baldwin wrote:

The 70D is a well rounded and compelling package for the Flickr+YouTube+Facebook generation.
It's a classical 'jack of all trades, master of none' product, offering a lot of bang for the buck and having a very broad appeal.

Not for purists, though.
For purists, Canon has the 6D, which offers nothing but basics ... at a premium.

Jul 03, 2013 at 02:37 PM
jctriguy
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

dhphoto wrote:
It *seems* to me to be mainly the improvement in liveview and video focusing speed and a couple more meg, plus wifi, but maybe I've missed the point.

It doesn't interest me at all, which I regard as a good thing from a money-spending point of view

Don't mean to pick on your post specifically, more of a general comment.

What are people expecting from a new camera? We are way past the days of breakthrough technology on every new camera release. You've listed several fairly significant changes in the 70D over the 60D. Improved AF, more MP, WiFi, LiveView AF/Video AF, AF microadjust.

These upgrades are just new models, they are targeted to all sorts of different people. If you have a 60D, you aren't likely the target market for this 70D upgrade.

Jul 03, 2013 at 06:58 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

The 70D looks like a very well rounded DSLR.

Canon has continued to refine and polish their camera lines and the X0D line has been no exception. The 70D is a great successor (on paper at least). The 5D3 was also initially perceived as a "tweaked" 5D2 but it has proven to be much more than that. Although one can argue that low iso image quality has not been greatly improved. But everything else has.

I guess Canon has to break through a barrier and improve pixel quality in a significant way. Yes, I don't think the 70D includes that but 2014 will be VERY interesting

Jul 03, 2013 at 07:21 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

If IQ wasn't the elephant in the room for Canon, then I'd agree 70D is a great update from 60D. Compared to the appallingly lame 650D->700D sidegrade, this is huge. It's basically a detuned 7D, in 60D body, but with of course a few new headline acts.

However, if the new sensor really has made no progress from the 18MP sensor, that is dreadful news IMO. That would leave me very nervous about a 7D II. Even if it became a mini 1D X, if it's same ol' same ol', then I'm not interested.

Jul 03, 2013 at 07:39 PM
jorkata
• • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

Pixel Perfect wrote:
However, if the new sensor really has made no progress from the 18MP sensor, that is dreadful news IMO.

One of the many 70D previews quoted Canon as saying that the raw performance of new 20mp sensor
is 'on par' with the old 18mp sensor. Color reproduction should be better, though.

So, there will be some improvements - but not the big improvements that many (of us) are hoping for.

That would leave me very nervous about a 7D II. Even if it became a mini 1D X, if it's same ol' same ol', then I'm not interested.

Same here.

As I said in other posts, though, I'd expect Canon to be smart and use a unique sensor in the 7DII.
One with real ISO improvements over the current 18mp sensor.

If not, I doubt that there would be much interest in the 7DII - no matter how good the other specs are.

Jul 03, 2013 at 08:14 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

Are there any test images at standardized ISOs?

EBH

Jul 03, 2013 at 08:22 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

jorkata wrote:
As I said in other posts, though, I'd expect Canon to be smart and use a unique sensor in the 7DII.
One with real ISO improvements over the current 18mp sensor.

If not, I doubt that there would be much interest in the 7DII - no matter how good the other specs are.

The 70D was the perfect place to start. Brand new sensor, I expected this to herald the dawn of new generation steppers and develop something along the line of Sony's sensor tech, but what we are seeing is a company much more interested in the video aspect of shooting that the stills aspect and I think this is why they've been dragging their feet. At 2K resolution, they can get good video quality with current tech and things like low ISO DR and read noise are not as important.

Jul 03, 2013 at 08:30 PM
jctriguy
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

Pixel Perfect wrote:
The 70D was the perfect place to start. Brand new sensor, I expected this to herald the dawn of new generation steppers and develop something along the line of Sony's sensor tech, but what we are seeing is a company much more interested in the video aspect of shooting that the stills aspect and I think this is why they've been dragging their feet. At 2K resolution, they can get good video quality with current tech and things like low ISO DR and read noise are not as important.

Is low ISO IQ a key feature desired by the vast majority of prospective 70D users? I would guess not, but that is my n=1 view of the situation. FM likely represents 0.001% of Canons target market for the xxD series.

Jul 03, 2013 at 09:49 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

jctriguy wrote:
Is low ISO IQ a key feature desired by the vast majority of prospective 70D users? I would guess not, but that is my n=1 view of the situation. FM likely represents 0.001% of Canons target market for the xxD series.

While I agree the target audience won't be too bothered, my point was that the new age tech needed to come out and why not roll it out with a new sensor? Do you think Sony holds back on their NEX sensos compared to their FF sensors. They have the same process across the range. Also a smart company would use this to their advantage and market it accordingly. Imagine a sensor that could be pushed 5 stops in shadows, you could offer some amazing ALO options and basically say constrasty scenes are no longer a problem. Also a lot of people on a bduget still like to do wildlife, lansdscape and their is no reason why a large % of 70D users would not appreciate these improvements in DR and noise.

Jul 03, 2013 at 09:56 PM
Richie S
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

The auto focus in video is a huge development to the target audience for a 70D though. He interesting if it makes it into the 7d or if they keep the 70 with the articulating screen the video machine. Canon is betting that video is the future, not pulling out details from the shadows of a poorly exposed photograph.

I make them right.

Jul 03, 2013 at 10:31 PM
jorkata
• • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

Richie S wrote:
The auto focus in video is a huge development to the target audience for a 70D though. He interesting if it makes it into the 7d or if they keep the 70 with the articulating screen the video machine. Canon is betting that video is the future, not pulling out details from the shadows of a poorly exposed photograph.

I make them right.

+1000

Jul 03, 2013 at 11:12 PM
dsr1
• •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

Can anyone confirm whether the 70D added Micro AF Adjustment or not. I've read in some threads that it does but I can't find it on any spec sheet. Other that this one thing the 70D looks like a worthy update to the 60D to me.

Jul 04, 2013 at 11:41 AM
gregoryallen
• •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

dsr1 wrote:
Can anyone confirm whether the 70D added Micro AF Adjustment or not. I've read in some threads that it does but I can't find it on any spec sheet. Other that this one thing the 70D looks like a worthy update to the 60D to me.

[europe.com/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_70D/?WT.ac=SS_EOS70D_Europe#p-specification[/url]
Check Canon Europe. It has afma at both ends for up to 40 lenses.

Jul 04, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Stpix

p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

I like the 70d specs. Had been thinking about an upgrade to 7d from T3i in thefuture. Nice to have the options.

Jul 04, 2013 at 01:44 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

gregoryallen wrote:
Check Canon Europe. It has afma at both ends for up to 40 lenses.

I'm not surprised, it was a significant omission from the supposedly prosumer 60D

Jul 04, 2013 at 01:55 PM
robinlee
• • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

Some videos about the new 70D live view AF, looks good to me!

Jul 04, 2013 at 04:55 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

dsr1 wrote:

Yes according to dpreview.

Jul 04, 2013 at 05:07 PM
theSuede
• • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

sirimiri wrote:
Does that hold true for other bodies, for instance a 5DII? Would it have an even more acute angle at the edge of that 5DII's sensor? Because a fully-mounted EF 50mm 1.2 gave me a very different exposure than the same lens, twisted 90° so the contacts didn't touch.

Yes, It's true in different amounts for all Canon bodies. The "twist"-test you tried is what I usually do - since I first found hard evidence of raw-file tampering. The 5D2 is also about 2/3 Ev loss at F1.2. The 5D3 slightly less.

Jul 04, 2013 at 05:13 PM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.