Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

cameron12x
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

Does it have any new built-in HDR capabilities?

A friend demonstrated his Samsung "phone" doing auto-bracketing and in-camera HDR. The result was amazing. And it's a phone!

Jul 02, 2013 at 11:29 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

theSuede wrote:
The 7D has to apply +2/3Ev of extra, non-advertised gain to make F1.2 a real F1.2 - meaning that more than 40% of the incoming light from large apertures is lost (compared to a F4.0 angle).

Does that hold true for other bodies, for instance a 5DII? Would it have an even more acute angle at the edge of that 5DII's sensor? Because a fully-mounted EF 50mm 1.2 gave me a very different exposure than the same lens, twisted 90 so the contacts didn't touch.

Jul 02, 2013 at 11:33 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Not as much as you crack me up. Didn't realise Sony had a sensor in which every pixel can do phase detect AF; oh that's right they don't. They use a partial mirror that loses 1/3 of the light coming through the lens, resulting in very ordinary (not so) high ISO performance. Look at an A77 above ISO 400 and it's not pretty. And if you go to a NEX 7 instead, which uses contrast detect AF instead, it's one of the slower AF performers in the segment.

When it comes to AF innovation, I don't think Sony first.
...Show more

FWIW, and I'm not arguing that Sony has a similar sensor, but the NEX-5R and NEX-6 have on-sensor PDAF sensors, and so does the Fuji X100s. I think that is what mogul is referring to. Either way, Sony may be working on something a bit similar, because their upcoming A-mount cameras are rumored to loose the SLT mirror altogether.

Edited on Jul 03, 2013 at 12:24 AM · View previous versions

Jul 03, 2013 at 12:20 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

theSuede wrote:
Well, the Nikon APS side (well, the ones that frequent forums like this, anyway...) are also quite disconcerted about the "missing" high end APS body replacement. So there goes. Is it a trend?

Or is it just that MAYBE, MAYBE both Canon and Nikon as coroporate entities know stuff about sales numbers, profit margins and so on that the regular, slightly rabid forum-user doesn't?

Lets just hope the first implementation of this new exciting technology, that I've just finished modelling, is as free from infancy related diseases as possible. I've no doubt the base model is sound, I can see no
...Show more

That's a good sign. I was wondering how splitting the pixels would still be efficient.

Jul 03, 2013 at 12:22 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

jctriguy wrote:
What did you expect from the xxD line?? They are enthusiasts cameras that a pro could maybe use depending on their needs. They didn't remove features, they actually added lots of features since the 60D. This line doesn't need dual cards, I can't personally see how that is needed in most cameras. If the video AF works as described, it will be a huge leap forward in usability for this or any other price point.

The 7DII will be more for the semi-pro/pro crop segment. Hope the rumours are true that it will come early next year.

My 50D has a CF card slot and an AF sensor position knob.

EBH

Jul 03, 2013 at 01:06 AM
Kathy White
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

DtEW wrote:
...At a light loss, for both SLT and OCPDAF.

The dim are easily amused.

Well at least when I send in my canons for repair I get them right back the same week or within days. I have a friend who sent in her Sony alpha 900 and Sony has had it over a month saying they are having trouble getting the parts. She is going to sell out and switch to a 5DIII and something for backup. She has been shooting Sony for years professionally and she is really fed up.

Jul 03, 2013 at 01:26 AM
jctriguy
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

EB-1 wrote:
My 50D has a CF card slot and an AF sensor position knob.

EBH

And?? DSLR are going to SD cards more and more, that is just the way it is. How is it relevant that a 50D has a CF slot?

Jul 03, 2013 at 01:26 AM
mogul
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

list of incompatible lenses and the 70d http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=7260

Jul 03, 2013 at 04:03 AM
jctriguy
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

mogul wrote:
list of incompatible lenses and the 70d http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=7260

Don't be so alarmist. Those are lenses with 'limited compatibility' with the new dual pixel AF. They will still work perfectly well with the standard AF when not in LV. And, those are mostly the older lenses.

Jul 03, 2013 at 04:12 AM
mogul
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

Not alarmist, went through the same with sony system. Sony is being very slow to update lenses but at least they doing it. I wonder if Canon can update lenses and make them compatible.

Jul 03, 2013 at 04:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jctriguy
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

mogul wrote:
Not alarmist, went through the same with sony system. Sony is being very slow to update lenses but at least they doing it. I wonder if Canon can update lenses and make them compatible.

What do you mean by update the lenses? That list has lenses that haven't been sold in years. Those might be lenses that don't transmit distance info (just guessing on that).

Don't think many people will be worried about the lack of new 'dual pixel AF' on the 80-200 2.8 or a 28-105 lens. The one that concerns me is the 1200mm lens, I was hoping to pick one up if it worked with the new AF system.

Jul 03, 2013 at 05:10 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

mogul wrote:

Looking thru that list CANON ALREADY HAVE . They are all old lenses and I can't see any RELAVENT lens on there that has been updated .

But of course the list is only about the live veiw / video AF . If you shoot stills thru the VF then there is o problem .

Canon started to go down the on sensor phase detect route with the 650D and the M . That's why they brought out the STM lenses as that motor is better suited to the dual AF in video .
So I wonder what sort of performance the ring USM lenses will have using the dual pixel AF . I still don't think its going to be fast AF . If the system is designed for video then the last thing you want is really fast transfer from 1 subject to another . I think the system is more designed to be smooth and accurate (no bad thing) so that it removes as much focus hunting as possible and is able to solidly track movement . (Probably not fast movement)

Jul 03, 2013 at 06:34 AM
DtEW

p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

PCKit wrote:
Well at least when I send in my canons for repair I get them right back the same week or within days. I have a friend who sent in her Sony alpha 900 and Sony has had it over a month saying they are having trouble getting the parts. She is going to sell out and switch to a 5DIII and something for backup. She has been shooting Sony for years professionally and she is really fed up.

While I was indeed mocking the Sony fanboy that was trying to rain on the Canon parade, I will have to say that my own experiences with Sony service has been considerably more positive. The at-the-repair-center turn-around for a defective lens was a couple of days, with the rest of the time spent in 2-Day-Air transit. I can only say good things from my own experience.

Jul 03, 2013 at 07:22 AM
MintMar
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

sirimiri wrote:
Does that hold true for other bodies, for instance a 5DII? Would it have an even more acute angle at the edge of that 5DII's sensor? Because a fully-mounted EF 50mm 1.2 gave me a very different exposure than the same lens, twisted 90 so the contacts didn't touch.

Yep, it is all true. The microlenses themselves have some (fixed) "aperture", which will block some light the lens deliver to the sensor.

Jul 03, 2013 at 07:42 AM
MintMar
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

mogul wrote:

I'm surprised. What the duck does that mean? I thought they'd be driving the lens the same way as when conventional PD-AF is in action. I mean, the lenses from the list do transmit some image on the main sensor, right? ;-)

Jul 03, 2013 at 07:49 AM
alundeb
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

mogul wrote:

MintMar wrote:
I'm surprised. What the duck does that mean? I thought they'd be driving the lens the same way as when conventional PD-AF is in action. I mean, the lenses from the list do transmit some image on the main sensor, right? ;-)

It means that Dual Pixel PDAF needs specific lens calibration to work, at least it needs parameters for the exit pupil size and distance.

Jul 03, 2013 at 08:24 AM
MintMar
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

alundeb wrote:
It means that Dual Pixel PDAF needs specific lens calibration to work, at least it needs parameters for the exit pupil size and distance.

Ok, ok, I'm just surprised to see very old lenses, old lenses, some not-so-old, even some significant Ls, and I don't see some other rather old lenses (no 50/1.8 of any sort, no 28/2.8, 15mm fisheye, no 35/2?).

Jul 03, 2013 at 08:40 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

DtEW wrote:
While I was indeed mocking the Sony fanboy that was trying to rain on the Canon parade, I will have to say that my own experiences with Sony service has been considerably more positive. The at-the-repair-center turn-around for a defective lens was a couple of days, with the rest of the time spent in 2-Day-Air transit. I can only say good things from my own experience.

thats probably because their techs are sat around waiting for 1 of the very small number of units in use to come in for repair

Ok i say it in jest but you have to think that if canon and nikon sell the vast majority of cameras like DSLR's (and the shear speed at which canon announce how many EF lenses they have made in total says they must be selling a fair few ) then their service centres will see a heavier workload .

Jul 03, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Vox Sciurorum
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

PetKal wrote:
Here we have a new long "reach" champion, with the highest sensor pixel density in any Canon camera to date. If they've managed to improve 70D high ISO noise handling compared to 7D, then, given its relatively palatable price, they might have a winner in my books despite (-0.5 EV) AF sensitivity.

That hypothetical 7D II would have to have significantly bigger sensor and/or significantly more sensitive AF, such as (-2 EV), before I'd consider it at $2k +.

My only Canon camera is a 5D3. I am thinking about a higher pixel density second Canon, but I want one with essentially the same user interface.(*) I will do without a second Canon rather than try to cram yet another UI into my head. I think only the nonexistent 7D2 would be worth buying.

(*) They can fix the awful joystick if they like. Give me something with clearly distinct directions and center press.

Jul 03, 2013 at 04:04 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

Sorry, I am feeling rather stupid. Could someone just simply sum up for me what is interesting about this new camera, there must be something, I just can't see it.

I know that sounds sarcastic, but its not meant to be. What are the major advancements that this body represents please? In practice. For stills.

Jul 03, 2013 at 05:32 PM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password