Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

fotografur
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

Canon reinvents video focusing with the fiercely fast EOS 70D (hands-on)

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/02/canon-70d-hands-on/

Jul 02, 2013 at 09:47 AM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

PetKal wrote:
Here we have a new long "reach" champion, with the highest sensor pixel density in any Canon camera to date. If they've managed to improve 70D high ISO noise handling compared to 7D, then, given its relatively palatable price, they might have a winner in my books despite (-0.5 EV) AF sensitivity.

That hypothetical 7D II would have to have significantly bigger sensor and/or significantly more sensitive AF, such as (-2 EV), before I'd consider it at $2k +.

The noise improvement at high ISO is the big "if" - My 7D saw minimal usage after getting the 5D3 because it no longer had any advantage over the 5 series for my purposes. Yes, it had pixel density, but the cleaner output of the 5 made the files more manageable. In short, I preferred a 1.4X teleconverter on the full frame to the naked lens on the 7.

It looks like this is basically the same AF as in the 7D, which is to say that it's good but not as good as the new "pro" system. It would be interesting to see how fast the live-view AF works for stills.

Feature-wise, it's a winner, I'd say. For many situations, the swivel screen could be pretty useful. Not sure on the touch screen since I've never used one.

Jul 02, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

fotografur wrote:
Canon reinvents video focusing with the fiercely fast EOS 70D (hands-on)

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/02/canon-70d-hands-on/

Liked the video, though I would have also liked some pepperoni on that pizza!

Which reminds me, I'm hungry.

Jul 02, 2013 at 11:37 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

Tom_W wrote:
It looks like this is basically the same AF as in the 7D, which is to say that it's good but not as good as the new "pro" system. It would be interesting to see how fast the live-view AF works for stills.

Apparently not, according to one site. The centre point was a double cross. Again, apparently...?

Jul 02, 2013 at 11:53 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

I'd say it is disappointing but we knew they would remove the critical features needed for serious use. To use the word professional for a body with a single-slot SD card only and no AF point control is a complete joke.

EBH

Jul 02, 2013 at 12:15 PM
iammikie
• •
p.2 #6 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

EB-1 wrote:
I'd say it is disappointing but we knew they would remove the critical features needed for serious use. To use the word professional for a body with a single-slot SD card only and no AF point control is a complete joke.

EBH

+1

Jul 02, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
Apparently not, according to one site. The centre point was a double cross. Again, apparently...?

I can't find the detail now but the old 40/50/60D AF was 'double cross' (centre point)
What it Basicly was was the 5.6 sensitive part had a + cross , while the extra sensitive 2.8 part was a X cross.

According to TDP the 7D has a diagonal cross (X) 2.8 sensitive AF point in the centre as well

From the TDP 7D review

"the focusing points are evenly spread out across the image plane and clearly displayed through Canon's new Intelligent Viewfinder. All 19 points are f/5.6-sensitive for both horizontal and vertical cross-type focusing [a first], while the center AF point adds high-precision diagonal cross-type sensitivity for f/2.8 and larger aperture lenses." (Canon USA Press Release) The 7D requires a lens with a maximum aperture of at least f/5.6 or wider (as reported by the lens) for AF to function."

Jul 02, 2013 at 01:55 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.2 #8 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
I'd quite happily take 2sd slots in the 7D2 but would also be fine with the cf/SD combo in the 5D3. As long as they don't kill their usability with slow speed and only 6frame buffer when shooting raw+jpeg

It kills the 5DIII buffer to shoot RAW + JPG even with the Lexar 1000X 32GB which you need to maximize the RAW buffer. I imagine it will be the same with the 7DII.

Defiantly want a cropper with high FPS, 5DIII AF and nice build as a 2nd body for reach and FPS.

Jul 02, 2013 at 03:19 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

saneproduction wrote:
It kills the 5DIII buffer to shoot RAW + JPG even with the Lexar 1000X 32GB which you need to maximize the RAW buffer. I imagine it will be the same with the 7DII.

Defiantly want a cropper with high FPS, 5DIII AF and nice build as a 2nd body for reach and FPS.

Yep I know it does , but I suspect its crippled on purpose rather than by card speed . The 7D before the firmware update would do 6 frames if you shot raw+jpeg but after the fw2.0 you get about 18 .
I get that (or very close) with really old slow cards as well (it just takes ages to clear the buffer after with very slow cards) .
If canon recripple a new 7D back to 6 frames then it renders the 2nd slot pretty much useless to me and I would have to really consider if it would be worth the upgrade .(the 2nd slot is pretty high on my wish list)

Jul 02, 2013 at 04:27 PM
jctriguy
• • •
p.2 #10 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

What did you expect from the xxD line?? They are enthusiasts cameras that a pro could maybe use depending on their needs. They didn't remove features, they actually added lots of features since the 60D. This line doesn't need dual cards, I can't personally see how that is needed in most cameras. If the video AF works as described, it will be a huge leap forward in usability for this or any other price point.

The 7DII will be more for the semi-pro/pro crop segment. Hope the rumours are true that it will come early next year.

Jul 02, 2013 at 06:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mogul
• •
p.2 #11 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

This thread cracks me up; Canon is implementing features Sony cameras have had for years.

Jul 02, 2013 at 07:07 PM
DtEW

p.2 #12 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

mogul wrote:
This thread cracks me up; Canon is implementing features Sony cameras have had for years.

...At a light loss, for both SLT and OCPDAF.

The dim are easily amused.

Jul 02, 2013 at 07:14 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.2 #13 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

jctriguy wrote:
What did you expect from the xxD line?? They are enthusiasts cameras that a pro could maybe use depending on their needs. They didn't remove features, they actually added lots of features since the 60D. This line doesn't need dual cards, I can't personally see how that is needed in most cameras. If the video AF works as described, it will be a huge leap forward in usability for this or any other price point.

The 7DII will be more for the semi-pro/pro crop segment. Hope the rumours are true that it will come early next year.

Nikon does dual cards with their lowly D7xxx line, so why not Canon?

Besides, dual-cards can serve a variety of functions, but the most important is data redundancy. In the hands of a PRO (a camera isn't a pro, a photographer is), the 70D could suite just fine as a second body or backup at a wedding (or hell even a primary camera), but without dual cards, you're forced to put a hell of a lot of faith in a single card / card port.

No thanks.

---

I also didn't notice any real mention of improved image quality. This has me concerned. I DO like snappy LV performance, though -- was really nice using the A77's rear LCD with fast AF, so kudos to any 70D owners, as it should open up more comfortable and snappy still shooting opportunities.

Still don't care two poops about video, so don't expect me to ever sing that praise

Jul 02, 2013 at 08:17 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.2 #14 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

Can't wait to see how fast and accurate the LV focus will really be just out of curiousity.

Jul 02, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

jctriguy wrote:

+1

Come on guys, the 70D is an $1100 camera yet is basically a 7D minus a few features and with several more of it's own, yet it's not much more than half the price the 7D was a launch (well at least in Australia).

Jul 02, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

mogul wrote:

Not as much as you crack me up. Didn't realise Sony had a sensor in which every pixel can do phase detect AF; oh that's right they don't. They use a partial mirror that loses 1/3 of the light coming through the lens, resulting in very ordinary (not so) high ISO performance. Look at an A77 above ISO 400 and it's not pretty. And if you go to a NEX 7 instead, which uses contrast detect AF instead, it's one of the slower AF performers in the segment.

When it comes to AF innovation, I don't think Sony first. They excel at sensors.

Jul 02, 2013 at 10:40 PM
jorkata
• • •
p.2 #17 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

EB-1 wrote:
To use the word professional for a body with a single-slot SD card only and no AF point control is a complete joke.

You mean, like the 6D ??

Jul 02, 2013 at 10:46 PM
jctriguy
• • •
p.2 #18 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

cputeq wrote:
Nikon does dual cards with their lowly D7xxx line, so why not Canon?

Besides, dual-cards can serve a variety of functions, but the most important is data redundancy. In the hands of a PRO (a camera isn't a pro, a photographer is), the 70D could suite just fine as a second body or backup at a wedding (or hell even a primary camera), but without dual cards, you're forced to put a hell of a lot of faith in a single card / card port.

No thanks.

---

I also didn't notice any real mention of improved image quality. This has me concerned. I
...Show more

Buy a Nikon! I, personally, have never needed dual cards and would rank that as one of the lowest features on any list I could come up with. I also don't think that this line of cameras is really pushing the envelope on IQ, that is for the FF and 1D 3/4 and hopefully the 7DII.

From the specs, I think this will be a huge hit for Canon. People that want one camera to get great video, kid/family shots and the occasional other task (wildlife/travel/landscape) will probably flock to this new release. People that are picky about certain features may not like this camera, but as Canon pointed out in the first paragraph of the press release, this is for enthusiasts and not dedicated professionals.

Jul 02, 2013 at 10:57 PM
theSuede
• • • •
p.2 #19 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

Well, the Nikon APS side (well, the ones that frequent forums like this, anyway...) are also quite disconcerted about the "missing" high end APS body replacement. So there goes. Is it a trend?

Or is it just that MAYBE, MAYBE both Canon and Nikon as coroporate entities know stuff about sales numbers, profit margins and so on that the regular, slightly rabid forum-user doesn't?

Lets just hope the first implementation of this new exciting technology, that I've just finished modelling, is as free from infancy related diseases as possible. I've no doubt the base model is sound, I can see no great losses in efficiency with this layout.

There may even be some advantages from a pure efficiency (high ISO performance) PoV, sine this model FORCES Canon to utilize angled ray bundles - something they generally have sucked at big-time for the last ten years - they've always been in the bottom heap of angle-efficiency. The 7D has to apply +2/3Ev of extra, non-advertised gain to make F1.2 a real F1.2 - meaning that more than 40% of the incoming light from large apertures is lost (compared to a F4.0 angle).

This is worse than even the slightly medieval medium format sensors (though they use larger pixels - which helps angle efficiency by quite a lot).

Jul 02, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

PhilDrinkwater wrote:

The 7D does indeed have a x type high precision centre point. The other 18 points are normal precision + type points up to f/5.6.
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/eos7d.do

High precision points have the two phase detect sensors further apart and for extra performance they often use 2 rows of sensors. In cross-type there will be two(four) orthogonal sets of sensors.

The 5D III and 1D X have 5 extra high precision dual x type points for f/2.8 or faster lenses.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/1dx_af_precision_crosstype_article.shtml?categoryId=121

Jul 02, 2013 at 11:05 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password