Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!
Canon introduces the EOS 70D DSLR, featuring an all-new Dual Pixel CMOS AF sensor, which according to Canon, it's a game changer.

The new sensor, with its all new architecture, will allow the camera to achieve faster and most precise continuous auto-focus in video recording and Live View mode. The company claims that the sensor will help auto-focusing at 5x speed when compared to the previous sensor.
For full specifications, checkout usa.canon.com

Canon EOS 70D – Key Features:
  • 20.2 megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor and DIGIC 5+
  • 19 point cross-type AF System and 7 fps shooting
  • Dual Pixel CMOS AF
  • Instant sharing and remote control with Wi-Fi
  • ISO 12800 (H:25600)
  • Vari-angle 7.7cm ClearView II LCD touch screen
  • Intelligent viewfinder
  • Full-HD movies
Pre-order:

Canon EOS 70D Body $1199
B&H Photo | Amazon | Adorama

Canon EOS 70D with 18-55mm IS STM $1349

Canon EOS 70D with 18-135mm IS STM $1549

Jul 02, 2013 at 12:25 PM
MDHO
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

London, UK, 2 July 2013 – Canon today unveils an outstanding new addition to its world-famous EOS series – the EOS 70D. Designed for aspiring enthusiast photographers, the EOS 70D is the ideal camera for anyone looking to take their photography to the next level. It combines completely new, world-first Canon imaging technology with powerful, creative and wireless sharing features – delivering a responsive, all-purpose camera ideal for capturing the moment with stunning images and Full HD video.

Capture the moment with stills and Full HD movies

The EOS 70D features a new 20.2 MP APS-C CMOS sensor, designed and manufactured by Canon. It’s the first Digital SLR in the world to feature ground-breaking Dual Pixel CMOS AF technology, which delivers smooth and accurate autofocus (AF) when shooting Full HD movies and fast AF acquisition when shooting in Live View mode. Paired with the 14-bit DIGIC 5+ processor and 19-point all cross-type AF System, the EOS 70D captures incredible, full resolution images at up to 7 frames per second, with up to 65 JPEG or 16 RAW images in a single burst*. Additionally, a native ISO range of ISO 100-12800 enables photographers to shoot in lower light conditions and use faster shutter speeds whilst retaining high image quality.

“I was incredibly impressed with how many new technologies the EOS 70D packs into one body, and how versatile it is,” said Brutus Östling, Canon Ambassador. “The EOS 70D is the perfect camera for anyone that wants to develop their photography skills. Not only is it suited to shooting people, landscapes and action easily and in outstanding quality, but also filming subjects in Full HD with focus speeds I never thought would be possible. The camera proved itself in the most challenging of circumstances, and had a range of new-generation technologies to comfortably solve any test I threw at it – especially with the new Dual Pixel CMOS AF technology. It really takes DSLR shooting and filmmaking to a whole new level.”

Canon’s new Dual Pixel CMOS AF provides swift AF performance when shooting in Live View mode and smooth accurate focus for Full HD movies. It makes it easy for users to take their next step with movies, enabling them to keep moving subjects in sharp focus and create professional-looking pull-focus effects. The technology utilises advanced CMOS architecture, allowing two photodiodes to be mounted within each pixel, both of which can be read independently to achieve autofocus, or together for image capture, with maximum image quality at all times.

An advanced AF system for stills includes 19 cross-type AF points spread across the frame, providing high speed, accurate AF – ideal for tracking sports and wildlife subjects as they move within the frame. The AF system is customisable, allowing photographers to adapt to the subject they’re shooting. AF points can be used individually, together in small groups, or as a wide active area for more unpredictable subjects. A dedicated AF area selection button, positioned conveniently next to the shutter release, enables quick switching between modes, without having to take the camera away from the eye.

Expertly designed for professional control

The EOS 70D’s powerful specification is packed into an expertly-engineered body that’s designed for comfort and swift operation. The Intelligent Viewfinder, with 98 per cent frame coverage and 0.95x magnification, allows photographers to comfortably frame their images and visualise settings via the electronic overlay. Conveniently-placed controls provide instant access to the most frequently used settings, such as ISO, AF mode selection and metering, so users can quickly change settings and concentrate on capturing the moment.

A 7.7cm (3.0”) Vari-angle Clear View LCD II Touch screen with a sharp 1,040k dot resolution is ideal for video shooting, or composing images from unusual and creative angles. The screen is a capacitive type, which supports a series of multi-touch gestures including swiping and pinch-zooming – perfect for navigating menus, amending settings or flicking through images.

Clever connectivity for easy control and instant sharing

The EOS 70D is the latest EOS model to feature integrated Wi-Fi, providing the freedom to remotely control the camera, as well as share images. Using Wi-Fi connectivity, users can connect to the EOS Remote app and control a wide range of image settings, including ISO and exposure, as well as focus and release the shutter. Photographers can also remotely use Live View mode, as well as review and rate their images.

Instant creativity unleashed

The EOS 70D features a host of creative modes to make capturing unique images easy. In-camera HDR removes the challenges of shooting in tricky, high contrast situations, merging three exposures into one that captures more detail in both the shadow and highlight areas. With multiple-exposure mode, photographers can shoot and combine up to nine exposures into a single image, or use a range of Creative Filters to instantly change the style and look of their shot.

Experimenting with creative off-camera flash is easy, thanks to the Integrated Speedlite transmitter, which provides in-camera control of multiple Canon Speedlite EX flash units.

Creative Full HD Movies

Alongside beautiful stills, the EOS 70D allows photographers to create high quality movies with ease. Full HD (1920 x 1080p) resolution video can be captured with a choice of selectable frame rates, including 30, 25 or 24fps, and 60 and 50fps at 720p, and a range of compression options for post-editing and sharing. Thanks to new Dual Pixel CMOS AF, Movie Servo AF mode tracks subjects as they move, or even as shots are recomposed, ensuring they’re always in focus. Alternatively, users can select different focus areas over 80 per cent of the frame** simply by tapping the touch-screen, even when recording – ensuring that movies stay sharp and clear if a subject moves or the user changes the composition of a shot.

Videographers can also enjoy stereo sound using the internal microphone, or enhance audio with the in-built external microphone input terminal. Full control over settings such as aperture and ISO is also possible within manual mode, giving users greater freedom as their skills develop.

EOS 70D – key features:

20.2 megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor and DIGIC 5+
19 point cross-type AF System and 7 fps shooting
Dual Pixel CMOS AF
Instant sharing and remote control with Wi-Fi
ISO 12800 (H:25600)
Vari-angle 7.7cm ClearView II LCD touch screen
Intelligent viewfinder
Full-HD movies
UHS-I card required for maximum burst duration
Dual Pixel CMOS AF is possible over 80 per cent of the width and height of the Live View frame
MSRP $1,199 body ; $1,349 with 18-55mm IS STM ; $1,549 with 18-135mm IS STM
Pre-orders available now

http://MichaelDanielHo.com

Canon EOS-70D camera with BG-E14 grip

Jul 01, 2013 at 11:25 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

Now we can see what features are missing from 7D and it's not too much and of course it gains several new features.

Minuses:
Joystick
only one custom dial setting
98% VF and 0.95x mag
7fps
SD
build

Pluses:
wifi
dual photodiode pixels for PDAF in LV!
Flip out screen
ISO 25600
silent shutter
Lighter
AEB up to 7 frames

Probably others I have missed. Looks like it could be just as good as 7D for wildlife/action with hopefully improved IQ.

Yes it does have MA as well. Also exactly same AF and metering as 7D. Looking good for a major update to 7D I'd say.

Edited on Jul 01, 2013 at 11:50 PM · View previous versions

Jul 01, 2013 at 11:35 PM
verbiage
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

...and a hands-on preview is up on DPR: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-70d

S.K.

Jul 01, 2013 at 11:41 PM
verbiage
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Now we can see what features are missing from 7D II and it's not too much and of course it gains several new features.

Minuses:
Joystick
only one custom dial setting
98% VF and 0.95x mag
7fps
SD

Second card slot? (here's assuming the 7D II has two)

S.K.

Jul 01, 2013 at 11:44 PM
jonrock
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

verbiage wrote:
...and a hands-on preview is up on DPR: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-70d

S.K.

It looks promising after reading the first impressions

Jul 01, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

Gee I hope that clever idea of splitting each pixel in two doesn't compromise improvements in DR and noise. It's the same ISO rating as newest 18MP version, so that doesn't auger well and then there's the DR and shadow noise issues to worry about.

Jul 01, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

verbiage wrote:
Second card slot? (here's assuming the 7D II has two)

S.K.

My minus for SD meant I see SD as inferior to CF due to lower performance than UDMA 6/7. I think 7D II will get dual slots and better AF.

Jul 01, 2013 at 11:53 PM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

Guess Nikon will have to announce their D400 if they have one!

Jul 01, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

MazeRunner wrote:
Guess Nikon will have to announce their D400 if they have one!

I doubt we will see it. At best Canon will announce 7D II that really is basically a crop 5D III at a minimum and Nikon will realise their mistake and hastily work on a D400. If Canon gets the 7D II right, they will own this segment. What a perfect compliment to a 1D X/5D III for action/sports/wildlife. Lot of water to flow under that bridge though.

Jul 01, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

It looks rather good

Jul 02, 2013 at 01:08 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

just had a look at the specs on DPR

so the xxD gets MA again . register upto 40 lenses by serial number . didnt see if its only 1 setting per zoom

AF, only sensitiv down to -0.5ev . so its not up with the latest FF af in low light

I think i wll be keeping my 7D , but will really be looking foward to the 7D2 as it should outspec the 70D by a fair bit

Jul 02, 2013 at 01:50 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
just had a look at the specs on DPR

so the xxD gets MA again . register upto 40 lenses by serial number . didnt see if its only 1 setting per zoom

AF, only sensitiv down to -0.5ev . so its not up with the latest FF af in low light

I think i wll be keeping my 7D , but will really be looking foward to the 7D2 as it should outspec the 70D by a fair bit

Exact same AF module as 7D. I think we can be certain 7D II is moving up a few levels in AF performance.
Hell they just could have put this new sensor (with digic V+) in the 7D, added wifi and tilt lcd and called that a 70D.

Jul 02, 2013 at 01:55 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

Pixel Perfect wrote:
...so that doesn't auger well

I tried digging a hole with my 5DII and had no luck either!

In all seriousness, I did watch the video Canon made at Pizzeria Tonino. For a second there I thought they were going to pop the camera in the oven.

That, and the focus transitions were pretty fast.

Jul 02, 2013 at 02:38 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

Gives me hope for a 7DII soon. Want to share CF cards.

Jul 02, 2013 at 02:50 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

saneproduction wrote:
Gives me hope for a 7DII soon. Want to share CF cards.

I'd quite happily take 2sd slots in the 7D2 but would also be fine with the cf/SD combo in the 5D3. As long as they don't kill their usability with slow speed and only 6frame buffer when shooting raw+jpeg

Jul 02, 2013 at 03:32 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

Seems like a nice update of the 60D, I'm surprised at the price, it's quite reasonable, and spec wise if the 7D Mark II is a reality, grabs the 61pnt AF, ups FPS and gets the new sensor design, keeps or builds on the 7D's body; ruggedness...it could prove very interesting.

Three top level shooters for the advanced hobbyist/pro would make for quite the kit, bring on a high-res body for serious landscape work as well, now you're talkin Canon

I'm not a more DR make-or-break shooter, an increase would be a nice to have, but for my image needs; knowing I'm in the minority, today's latest sensors are just fine as I typically don't shoot at either extreme...

Jul 02, 2013 at 04:04 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

A full frame version of this would be great, I could really use a folding LCD alongside a FF sensor, but this doesn't interest me much. Not to say it probably isn't good but Canon's apparent answer to increasing DR appears to be to beef up the in-camera HDR

Jul 02, 2013 at 04:05 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

Well that's a surprisingly interesting camera!

I can suddenly see an EOS M2 being of interest, whereas before it wasn't something I was interested in at all because it didn't really offer anything that was an advantage over other models from other manufacturers.

Video people are going to love that focus system when it comes to the 5d4 (presuming it does). It'll allow for accurate smooth transitions which are difficult to achieve currently.

Canon done good IMHO!

(although it'll be interesting to see if the sensor has really improved in terms of IQ in any sense).

Jul 02, 2013 at 04:09 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Official: Canon EOS-70D Announced!

Here we have a new long "reach" champion, with the highest sensor pixel density in any Canon camera to date. If they've managed to improve 70D high ISO noise handling compared to 7D, then, given its relatively palatable price, they might have a winner in my books despite (-0.5 EV) AF sensitivity.

That hypothetical 7D II would have to have significantly bigger sensor and/or significantly more sensitive AF, such as (-2 EV), before I'd consider it at $2k +.

Jul 02, 2013 at 04:20 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.