FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7      
       end

Archive 2013 · RX1 vs X100S

philip_pj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · RX1 vs X100S

Every time someone raises the minor problem of the maximum shutter speed of the RX1 as an issue in bright light I smile wryly to myself and think of the Hexar: 1/2000s against 1/250s for the same speed lens with relatively fixed ISO film, not ISO 50 at the turn of a wheel.

So the Hexar was a full three stops down on shutter speed, plus film speed ISO difference. Now that is what I call progress.

I guess I was always a good fit for electronic cameras as I hated the Hexar's 'interface' which told the VF very incomplete exposure data, just some crude thick frame lines as the focus ground along in the foreground - grrrk grrrk.

And all the secret commands with unrecallable button combinations. Maybe Maxwell Smart would like one and Control could never figure out the controls. But the Hexar makes my point earlier up-post, that the RX1 is easy peasy to use in comparison to such cameras beloved of many users.

So that was then, this is now. IQ wise the Hexar was a nice 35mm film compact for a very narrow usage band, the RX1 rivals anything available at its FL short of medium format.

Having just reviewed my last trip worth of images, ricardo and anyone else with the moolah to snag the RX1 - just do yourself a favour and go try one. If you don't like what you get from it, check your pulse.

Jul 05, 2013 at 07:57 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · RX1 vs X100S

Who cares, the hexar was the only camera (apart from some polas) that would AF instantly in TOTAL darkness. No bzzt bzzt bz z zz zzt, but as instantly as early 1990's AF could do it, no difference than in bright daylight. No need for zone focus, manual lenses, blinks, beeps, any thought to focus whatsoever, no second thoughts "I should've got that leica"... just point it to anything bright or dark, hold somewhat steady, bzt, locked, finished.

All else forgiven

Jul 05, 2013 at 08:31 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · RX1 vs X100S

Spyro P. wrote:
Actually Douglas you reminded me how much I loved my Hexar AF, because it had a "dumb" VF with next to no info in it. My best photos were taken with that camera and, in retrospect, I suspect that the lack of distractions might've had sth to do with it... all I could do was focus my mind on composition and timing, which at the end of the day are the 2 things my photography mostly hinges on. I think I'll try the same with my x100: deactivate all overlays

But I still want the parallax correction and I
...Show more

I never got to try out one of those cool Hexars, but I've heard great things about them.

FWIW, I don't find the parallax an issue with the RX1's OVF, since the hotshoe is inline with the lens, and there isn't a large top plate on the camera that raises the OVF much. So, while the X100s' has more in terms of parralax correction, the RX1 needs less. Anecdotally, I find my hit rate between the two pretty close. The RX1 requires me to let go a little more and go by "feel," but it works well.

Jul 05, 2013 at 11:03 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · RX1 vs X100S

joe88 wrote:
Let me decide for you... go with the RX1

Seriously, the RX1 files will pair really well with your Sony DSLR work setup, plus you could also use the RX1 as a supplementary/ B cam for your gigs. RX1 can be your 35mm lens, macro is pretty useable plus ISO6400 is a breeze.

Otherwise, if you don't need full frame or wide open subject separation, can I also suggest you look at the Ricoh GR? Not sure if you own a Ricoh GR or previous digital GRDs but if you love street shooting, you'll love the GR and snap focus. Files
...Show more

That seems pretty conclusive to me

I'm in no rush, seeing as I'm basically working straight for the next 2-3 weeks. But after that, I should be able to go down to London, and pass by to fondle an RX1 (which a very kind forum member pointed me towards).

Believe it or not I actually use the Sony 35/1.4 as my main lens right now. Goes to show you how much I care about "technical IQ" or whatever you want to call it . But yeah, it would be a nice backup, if I find it reliable enough to use for that sort of stuff.

Jul 05, 2013 at 12:11 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · RX1 vs X100S

douglasf13 wrote:
FWIW, I don't find the parallax an issue with the RX1's OVF, since the hotshoe is inline with the lens, and there isn't a large top plate on the camera that raises the OVF much. So, while the X100s' has more in terms of parralax correction, the RX1 needs less. Anecdotally, I find my hit rate between the two pretty close. The RX1 requires me to let go a little more and go by "feel," but it works well.

Is there any sort of parallax marking in the voigtlander VF? I think parallax would be a minor concern for me with an OVF. If I were using an OVF, it would be mainly for "quick draw" type stuff. If I needed really accurate framing I'd probably get the EVF or... the rear screen *is sick in hanky but reluctantly puts back in his pocket*. I see them for around £110 which seems reasonable. I see Zorki/Russian ones for around £30 - anyone have any idea how bad / good these are?

Jul 05, 2013 at 12:14 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · RX1 vs X100S

There is a dashed parallax corrected marking on the VC along the top edge (which is really all you need as there is no horizontal parallax to deal with)

Jul 05, 2013 at 12:36 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · RX1 vs X100S

ricardovaste wrote:
Is there any sort of parallax marking in the voigtlander VF? I think parallax would be a minor concern for me with an OVF. If I were using an OVF, it would be mainly for "quick draw" type stuff. If I needed really accurate framing I'd probably get the EVF or... the rear screen *is sick in hanky but reluctantly puts back in his pocket*. I see them for around £110 which seems reasonable. I see Zorki/Russian ones for around £30 - anyone have any idea how bad / good these are?

Yep, there are dashed lines at the top of the viewfinder that show that parallax for 1m (i think it is 1m,) and the solid line indicates infinity. This also helps give you a visual clue as to how the center AF point virtually lowers as the subject gets closer. Don't get me wrong, you do have to be a little loose with everything, but, if you're used to non-TTL OVFs, then I think you'll get used to it easily. I do wish the OVF had a center AF marking of some kind, but there are breaks in the lines at the side and top that make it pretty easy to visualize the center.

I haven't used anything other than the metal, round Voigtlander 35mm OVF that go for around $209US. I've used other brands for other focal lengths, from the square plastic Voigtlanders to the Leicas, and they're all pretty good. I'd like to try the mini Voigtlander 28/35 OVF, but they're hard to find and pricey. I wish Voigtlander made a Kontur OVF for 35mm. The 50mm Kontur (although it is labelled 35mm, which is related to format, not focal length,) is the coolest non-TTL OVF I've used.

BTW, another cool side effect of the hotshoe based OVF is that, because it is so noticeable on the top of the camera, I can bring the camera close to my face at chin level and use the LCD, but no one thinks I'm taking a picture, yet, because my eye isn't at the OVF. It even tricks my family. I would imagine the X100s would have the same effect, but I've never used its LCD to shoot before.

Jul 05, 2013 at 12:42 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · RX1 vs X100S

philip_pj wrote:
I know what you are saying here, zhangyue, and I think almost all agree that inherent image quality trumps mere technical expertise and presentation. Here is a different take on it: think of the image content and all its aspects such as lighting, composition, and content itself as *outside the technical sphere*...then consider the same image shot with a range of technologies or cameras and lenses.
Now some images are so strong they look good out of a phone camera, but not all images do so. As you have better tech MORE such images appear in the top echelon, these
...Show more

99% and 1% is relative scale, maybe a little bit exaggerate. For me, The 1st rate pictures have to have great concept, design, story, composition, all of which has nothing to do with Bokeh, sharpness, DR etc..So when I see real good photographers use those P&S to make powerful pictures, I admire them can go beyond tech spec and touch the truth. The camera is just a tool, (fancy hammer is still a hammer) which contribute a very small portion of IQ, to represent their mind. Especially we are at age of no ‘dog’ tool.

I want re-quote
zhangyue wrote:
My opinion is 99% IQ from content, 1% from gear/tech for the stuff I enjoy to look.

For landscape, Ad industry, some type of Wedding picture, yeh, I can’t deny the importance of tech level. But they are not the the stuff I enjoy to look most.

And I really want say is: if the pictures rely on DR, sharpness to impress me, they are not good enough. Even though, I myself spend time to analysis sharpness cross frame, focus transition, Bokeh, mechanical design of lens etc… I understand that it is a different topic than “photography” but a ‘hobby’ I was keep saying. If the picture rely on Bokeh to touch you, either picture itself is not good enough, or you don’t have good enough taste.

“3D”, so what, a 3D garbage can is still a garbage can, and is it world of 3D in front you every sec still not enough

Sorry about off topic. It is a again, a very personal view of topic.

sebboh wrote:
now i've ordered the rx-1.
both cameras produce images i really like with different looks to the lenses, but i like the look of the zeiss more (rare for me, i generally like fuji lenses more than zeiss) and i liked the manual focus experience of the rx-1 one better.

Congr! Look forward to see your pictures. The lens of RX1 is the best 35mm lens, period, the sensor too. I am tempting to get one of these. Sony really knows how to keep their stuff on central stage with this RX1R introduction The level of interesting of this little camera doesn’t decay but pick up.

Jul 05, 2013 at 12:51 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · RX1 vs X100S

RX1R.....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/sony/news/sony-announces-new-full-frame-camera-and-accessories?cm_mmc=EML-_-Newsletter_Newsletter-_-130703-_-BannerM_Retail_Sony-RX1R-ReadMore

Jul 05, 2013 at 06:15 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.8 #10 · p.8 #10 · RX1 vs X100S

borderlight wrote:
RX1R.....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/sony/news/sony-announces-new-full-frame-camera-and-accessories?cm_mmc=EML-_-Newsletter_Newsletter-_-130703-_-BannerM_Retail_Sony-RX1R-ReadMore

Thanks just the same, but this has been a widely publicized release with already an 8 page thread discussing the RX1r here and countless hands on reviews and comparisons already showing up on sites like LuLa and Huff

Cheers

Jul 05, 2013 at 07:16 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.8 #11 · p.8 #11 · RX1 vs X100S

Thanks for your thoughful reply, zhangyue, much appreciated.

I can suggest you might take a card along to shop stocking the RX1 and shoot off quite a few frames if possible, in al kinds of light. It is simply an astonishing camera, you can still take duds of course, but it is getting harder, lol. If they reproduce the quality in a portrait length lens version I am not sure I could resist.

To say more on the above topic we touched on, my aim is to provide myself (first priority) and other viewers with a very stylish and attractive image, high impact really. These characteristics seem to correlate strongly with what we call technical image quality. Not always but very often.

Jul 06, 2013 at 01:18 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.