Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Keep my D3 or get a refurb D800?

pcrit
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Keep my D3 or get a refurb D800?

I have a D3s and D3 as my main bodies and shoot mostly weddings, portraits, events and some sports. I sold most of my bodies to simplify and love the D3s/D3 combo but they are pretty heavy sometimes and overkill for some of the things I shoot. I am keeping the D3s for sure but debating selling my D3 to get a D800 refurbished on sale. Any thoughts, I like the resolution and smaller physical size of the D800 but file size is kind of an issue but not a dealbreaker I guess. Any thoughts or has anyone gone from D3 to D800?

Jul 01, 2013 at 11:59 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Keep my D3 or get a refurb D800?

The dynamic range is amazing, the file size can be cumbersome, the AF is better and it's obviously lighter. The video is nice if you use it. Also you can control remote flash units from the built in flash. But D800 vs. D3, the image quality is on an entirely different level, for me, just recovering highlights is a god-send.

Jul 01, 2013 at 12:13 PM
pcrit
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Keep my D3 or get a refurb D800?

That's what I am thinking too and wouldn't be much of a price difference between the two as the D3 is mint and really low shutter count. To control my sb-910's would be so much easier too..good point.

Jul 01, 2013 at 12:16 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Keep my D3 or get a refurb D800?

I'd do it (I did it) if I was you you only live once. Sell the D3 for $2000ish, come up with an extra $300 and buy yourself a D800. A D3s/D800 makes a great combo IMO. The only real downside I see with a D800 is using it during a wedding. I'd hate to sort through 2000 images @ 36mp. Please Nikon, give us sNEF.

Jul 01, 2013 at 02:05 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Keep my D3 or get a refurb D800?

FWIW, I have both the d3s and d800. The handling is significantly different, to the point of being annoying at times. If I were still doing weddings, I think that I'd probably prefer to have a pair of d3s'.

But, handling is such a personal thing and you may not find yourself having the same issues. The d800 files are great, but so are the files from the d3s. My advice would be to rent a d800 for a week and see how it works for you.

good luck
Kerry

Jul 01, 2013 at 02:15 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Keep my D3 or get a refurb D800?

The 36MP is a bit daunting at first but you'll start to appreciate what it brings to the table after a while. Shadow and highlight recovery is better. Detail and cropability is better. High ISO is better than the D3 but not the D3s. Build is on a pro-level and the controls are similar, with the exception of the AF mode, which is now a pushbutton on the front left side. (it was moved from the back). I shoot with a D4 and D800 and I feel that the controls are similar enough for me.

Jul 01, 2013 at 02:41 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Keep my D3 or get a refurb D800?

I've had a 2nd shooter shoot a wedding for me with the D800, files look good but the size is a killer and I would not want to deal with those on a regular basis. The files edited well in LR5 and the cropability of the size is wonderful. I have not shot with a D800 yet so can't comment on that. I shoot with a D3s and D4 currently.

Jul 01, 2013 at 04:26 PM
DeweyB1

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Keep my D3 or get a refurb D800?

I switched to the D800 from the D3. If your not shooting sports all day you will find the D800 to be an awesome upgrade. The files are big the image quality is worth it.

Jul 01, 2013 at 07:33 PM
pcrit
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Keep my D3 or get a refurb D800?

Thanks for the advice everyone and although I love having similar bodies which was my main reason for doing the combo of D3s/D3 It gets a bit much wearing both cameras at times. I am concerned about the file size but think the increase in image quality between the D3 and D800 is worth it. I can order a D800 refurbished from Adorama and see how I like it but guessing it will stay.

Jul 01, 2013 at 07:58 PM
pcrit
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Keep my D3 or get a refurb D800?

Thanks for the advice everyone and although I love having similar bodies which was my main reason for doing the combo of D3s/D3 It gets a bit much wearing both cameras at times. I am concerned about the file size but think the increase in image quality between the D3 and D800 is worth it. I can order a D800 refurbished from Adorama and see how I like it but guessing it will stay.

Jul 01, 2013 at 07:58 PM
Stdon
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Keep my D3 or get a refurb D800?

If you haven't done anything yet go to your local BestBuy. Mine matched 42nd.Street price of $2499. Heck of a better deal for a new body vs. used. I didn't bother to say that I wouldn't buy from 42nd. but it was their idea.

Jul 05, 2013 at 12:59 AM
pcrit
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Keep my D3 or get a refurb D800?

Thanks for the advice.

Jul 06, 2013 at 05:53 AM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Keep my D3 or get a refurb D800?

BenV wrote:
Please Nikon, give us sNEF.

Agreed, it would be wonderful if Nikon would give us sNEF.

Those big files are nice when you need them but for most stuff I shoot something smaller would be very welcomed.

Grant

Jul 06, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Keep my D3 or get a refurb D800?

The DR of the D800 raw files is amazing but only at low ISO (100 or 200). Above ISO 400 it's hardly better than what you are used to. IQ is probably not as good as the D3s at high ISO unless you downsize the files but then you have used even more file space and processing time.

At low ISO you can't recover much more highlight detail than with most other cameras unless you reduce the exposure. You get away this because the D800 has a great capacity to recover clean shadow details from very dark areas that would be mud with a D3 or D3s - but only at low ISO.

You can use crop mode to reduce file size but that also reduces flexibility of being able to frame loosely and be sure of getting everything while still having more pixels on your subject than the D3 can deliver.

There's a lot to like about the D800 from low-ISO IQ down to the built in sensor cleaning. The big file sizes are only a problem if you are on a deadline to process many images in a short time, or you cannot afford bigger and faster drives for your computer.

There was a lot to like about the D3 too but the D800 will expand your capabilities. It is worth the upgrade, especially as you still have a D3s.

If you are going to use it a lot then you will need spare batteries or the optional grip/battery holder. The Nikon unit is expensive but Vello and others make cheap versions of the grip. If you opt to get a grip then you can use relatively cheap rechargeable AA batteries such as eneloops or imedion instead of the expensive Li-ion batteries.

However, the D800 is not a wet weather camera. Use the D3s if it might be getting damp.

- Alan

Jul 06, 2013 at 02:25 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Keep my D3 or get a refurb D800?

BenV wrote:
I'd hate to sort through 2000 images @ 36mp. Please Nikon, give us sNEF.

I run a batch to make them 2mp, 0 lag .
I select on those and then import the 36mp files (wait 1sec every time to load, but when it's for editing and not cycling, this is NO problem).
sRAW sucks on the 5D3... It's in NO WAY raw, detail in highlights, shadows, it's all gone!
The only thing I liked more about sRAW than Jpeg was the whitebalance change.
If you want sNEF, shoot some jpeg's .

sNEF would indeed be nice IF they done it right!

Jul 06, 2013 at 03:30 PM
pcrit
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Keep my D3 or get a refurb D800?

Thanks for the advice, seems like my D3 is used less and less and I mainly shoot with the D3s so thinking of selling the D3 and getting a D800 soon.

Jul 12, 2013 at 05:49 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.