FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · bride sprained/broke ankle

Robin Usagani
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · bride sprained/broke ankle

13 days until the wedding, bride sprained or broke her ankle (still waiting for xray). The timeline is pretty hectic. I went ahead and told her she might want to reconsider doing first meet and do photos prior the ceremony. Anyway.. has any of you encountered this before? The show must go on even if she is on a wheelchair the MOB said. Maybe I bring a stool for posing?

Jul 01, 2013 at 08:44 AM
JanetG
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · bride sprained/broke ankle

well, I broke my foot (the photographer, not the bride) and put on a boot and just went for it. was a smidge slower, but it all worked. if her dr./ortho will allow it - she should be able to walk around pretty well with a boot on, and that was 10 days out from the wedding.

Jul 01, 2013 at 09:44 AM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · bride sprained/broke ankle

Whew. I thought this was going to be one of those stories where some photographer thinks a bride and groom are some kind of daredevil team and makes them do something absurd that doesn't end well.

Worse case scenario she ends up using crutches during the day. The dress should hide any bandages or whatnot during formals. As for the crutches, well. It's not like they're ever going to forget she got married with a broken ankle, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I think you'd definitly want to let them know they should set aside extra time due to her decreased mobility.

Jul 01, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Mr645
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · bride sprained/broke ankle

I'm sure it wont be much of a problem for the stills. Of course her limping around on video won't help. I always do ALL formals prior to the ceremony. There is never enough time to get everything done in the 30-40 minutes between ceremony and reception, typically.

Jul 01, 2013 at 03:38 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · bride sprained/broke ankle

I think you're right to consider how reduced mobility might impact the timeline that day. If you can expand the timeline -- maybe she's ready an hour earlier or something -- she and you will probably be glad for the extra time. It may get used up by other events, and still create value.

Jul 01, 2013 at 06:58 PM
julieawhitlock
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · bride sprained/broke ankle

Find some fantabulous benches/chairs!

Jul 01, 2013 at 07:05 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · bride sprained/broke ankle

I had a wedding a few weeks ago where the groom was in a boot due to a broken ankle. He did just fine. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Jul 01, 2013 at 07:06 PM
Anoop Shah
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · bride sprained/broke ankle

She can get one of these and make it part of her day...

Fashionable Medical Boots:
https://www.castmedicdesigns.com/wear-it

Anoop

Jul 02, 2013 at 03:40 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · bride sprained/broke ankle

Update.. Ankle broke but no surgery needed. Still no word if she wants to do first meet.

Jul 03, 2013 at 08:56 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · bride sprained/broke ankle

Crop above the waist. Nice tight shots.

Take a few shots that make light of the situation (pointing at the cost, cliche' kinda' stuff, just to help her laugh about it down the road) if she's that type of person.

You're talented, dude. You'll do just fine with this sort of hiccup.

Jul 03, 2013 at 12:12 PM
AlexF
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · bride sprained/broke ankle

Personally I would consider offering them a separate bridal/portrait session after the wedding when the ankle is fully healed. Unless the bride is taking in the stride and does not seem to be too stressed by it...

Jul 03, 2013 at 05:10 PM
Joshua Gull
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · bride sprained/broke ankle

AlexF wrote:
Personally I would consider offering them a separate bridal/portrait session after the wedding when the ankle is fully healed. Unless the bride is taking in the stride and does not seem to be too stressed by it...

Why would her breaking her ankle/foot have any bearing on creating more work via a completely separate shoot on your part? While I get the "nice guy" approach of this, it's not a decision most businesses would or should make (unless you regularly just give away sessions for free). Her dress should hide any boot, or if she's on crutches she can easily keep weight on her other foot and drop the crutches/hold on to her hubby for a few shots. The "nice guy" approach I'd take would be to add more coverage time to their schedule to make sure her decreased mobility and ability to get around doesn't mess up the timeline too much. That should be more than sufficient for you to get the shots you need for them and should help ease some of their stress regarding the situation.

ETA: If you're mentioning to them that they may want to consider a "day after" session down the road that they would pay for then that's a completely viable option as well. I took your post to mean that you'd give them a free session at a later time/date.

Jul 06, 2013 at 10:09 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.