Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Architectural Grids

Travis Rhoads
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Architectural Grids

This was shot this past weekend on a photowalk in downtown Atlanta. I could have posted this in the City forum, but I was focused more on the B&W conversion for this one. I spent a ton of time trying to get the tones in the windows to come out right, the different rows of glass were so close in color that when converted, they all became the same color...and the overcast sky required a little attention to get something there...thoughts? Any comments or crits are more than welcome. Thanks for looking.

TR

Grids

Canon EOS 7D    55mm    f/8.0    1/800s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jul 01, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Architectural Grids

I don't know what the color version does for the multi-hued windows, but they look good here.
Excellent interpretation, Travis- I especially like the perspective.
Have you considered cropping about half-way down to the "point" of the building?
As is, there looks to be a bit too much relatively uninteresting sky.
IMO of course .
Charlie

Jul 01, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Architectural Grids

Hey Charlie. Thanks for taking the time to comment. The sky was my attempt to not be afraid of negative space...may not be 100% successful , but I am trying !

Jul 02, 2013 at 01:28 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Architectural Grids

I'm with Charlie.
And I am not afeared of negative space.
But the pull is strong, up the spine to the sky, where there is little to find.
Scott

Jul 02, 2013 at 01:31 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Architectural Grids

I had hoped for better skies...maybe I can go back some day for some LE work at this corner.

Jul 02, 2013 at 01:33 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Architectural Grids

Travis Rhoads wrote:
Hey Charlie. Thanks for taking the time to comment. The sky was my attempt to not be afraid of negative space...may not be 100% successful , but I am trying !

Hmmm- I didn't even consider the sky as negative space. Maybe it is
For my own stuff, I guess I think only of black in terms of negative space- and there are times I love it.
But not so much love from those who crave to see what's in every shadow . (Their privilege to think that.)
It's an individual call, for sure.
Charlie

Jul 02, 2013 at 02:33 AM
Dougo
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Architectural Grids

The conversion works well Travis, I agree with Charlie on the crop, with that perspective it would make it a more dynamic shot

Cheers Ray

Jul 02, 2013 at 07:02 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Architectural Grids

Charlie Shugart wrote:
Hmmm- I didn't even consider the sky as negative space. Maybe it is
For my own stuff, I guess I think only of black in terms of negative space- and there are times I love it.
But not so much love from those who crave to see what's in every shadow . (Their privilege to think that.)
It's an individual call, for sure.
Charlie

I guess it all depends on how you define negative space, by color or by context. In college, in architecture, we defined negative space as space with nothing or without content...my normal instinct would have been to crop the top of that shot off and leave only 1/4 of what is there...maybe I should have stuck with instinct...

Jul 03, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Architectural Grids

Dougo wrote:
The conversion works well Travis, I agree with Charlie on the crop, with that perspective it would make it a more dynamic shot

Cheers Ray

I will give it a whirl!

Confessional....I hate odd aspect ratios in vertical images...wide panos, fine...but verticals...the OCD side of me twitches...but I did it anyway, since I don't have the original with me right now...

Jul 03, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Dougo
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Architectural Grids

I have to confess, I think you may have been right the first time Travis, it does feel a bit cramped now

Cheers Ray

Jul 09, 2013 at 02:50 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Architectural Grids

Too far for me, also.
Charlie
I meant halfway down- like this:

Jul 09, 2013 at 03:04 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Architectural Grids

Shucks- I can't stop!
Since I never studied architecture- or art- or photography- I am not saddled with any kind of thinking process at all .
So I whacked away some more:
Charlie

Jul 09, 2013 at 03:23 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Architectural Grids

Dougo wrote:
I have to confess, I think you may have been right the first time Travis, it does feel a bit cramped now

Cheers Ray

No worries, its all about trying different things and being open to it. But I agree, I like the original comp better.

Jul 09, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Architectural Grids

Charlie Shugart wrote:
Too far for me, also.
Charlie
I meant halfway down- like this:

I see what you mean on that one, I think maybe between that and the last one you posted, maybe I can get it back to a standard 2:3 crop ratio...might have a look at the original. Its a set in a series of 3 right now that I am working on, so I need the aspect to be the same on all three...

Jul 09, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Kenj8246
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Architectural Grids

While I don't necessarily disagree with the comments about negative space, I like the original shot. Just a suggestion but you might try masking off the sky and fooling around with levels adjustments. A few more clouds would help but, alas, we can't control what Mother Nature gives us.

Kenny

Jul 09, 2013 at 02:39 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Architectural Grids

Hey Kenny, thanks for taking the time. I too would have liked more in the sky, I messed around in Color EFex Pro on the color version to try to extract some details, but the result was gritty and grainy, and to me it didn't mix well with the smooth tones in the building. I wish there had been better clouds...maybe one day when there are I can revisit this one.

Jul 09, 2013 at 02:42 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password