Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Bride (New Edit Added)

xerofun

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bride (New Edit Added)

So I'm planning on getting this printed and framed nicely as my wedding gift to the bride. This is the first pass out of the lightroom - I didn't leave myself with a lot to work with.

I was hoping that I could get some help in directing my efforts with this, I feel like it's a little too soft but I was shooting with available light at around 12800.

I'm fairly green at editing of this magnitude, but want this to turn out as good as I can.

All advice is appreciated!

SOOC

6T5A6285-Original by Brian Rogers Photography, on Flickr

Magical Lightroom Machine

6T5A6285-1 by Brian Rogers Photography, on Flickr

Edited on Jul 02, 2013 at 07:32 PM · View previous versions

Jul 01, 2013 at 02:40 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bride (New Edit Added)

Pictures don't have to be perfectly sharp to be appreciated. You didn't ask for a critique of the shot itself, so I'll refrain from that and focus on your processing.

I think you did a really touch up on her. Where did you with your Noise Reduction Luminance. I'm assuming at least 40. If not, go up to 40. In LR, I would process this shot twice. Once for her, which you did pretty well with, and another for the background. See how those lights to our right of her head get lost against the garage, or whatever that is, in the edited pic, but they stand out well in the SOOC pic?

With her, I would then use your Color Replacement tool in PS and replace the yellowish hue on her arm, underarm, chest and her left side of her face with her regular color. I would also lighten her eyes just a touch. Other than that, I think you're in pretty good shape.

Jul 01, 2013 at 03:17 AM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bride (New Edit Added)

You did a really nice job of removing the pink from the dress. Follow through doing the same with her face, arm, underarm, and hand and you have a real winner

Jul 01, 2013 at 03:45 AM
xerofun

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bride (New Edit Added)

@Friscoron: Feel free to critique the shot as well - always looking to improve and there's a lot of room for it! I don't have it in front of me right now, but 40 is usually what I am for for luminance reduction. I tried to lighten her eyes a little bit, but they're picking up a ton of purple from the lights frame left and it started to look a little weird. Plus her pupils are massively dilated there's not much iris left to make pop. I'm guessing the reason that those lights stand out in the background is because I jacked up the contrast on the background and dropped the exposure a little bit. I wasn't really sure what to do with the background to be quite honest.

As far as the dress is concerned, I was able to just desaturate it to remove the reflections it picked up, I dont have PS (yet, have been mulling over getting the subscription). Do you think there is a way to do this in lightroom, either through luminence sliders or something similar?

Now that it's been pointed out the errant hues in her arms are bugging me, the joys of unideal lighting

Jul 01, 2013 at 12:44 PM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bride (New Edit Added)

xerofun wrote:
Now that it's been pointed out the errant hues in her arms are bugging me, the joys of unideal lighting

yes, candid pics are like that. sometimes I'll go back and say, could've used a little fill flash on that one

Jul 01, 2013 at 02:36 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bride (New Edit Added)

Do you have another shot of her with a less cluttered background? The branches intersecting her head are also a distraction. Share more if you have them. A framed print should show her off at her best. I will say that you made a nice improvement with the processing.

Jul 01, 2013 at 02:48 PM

xerofun

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bride (New Edit Added)

I agree, but that tree was the bane of my existence the entire night. That one is the cleanest out of the bunch. I was trying to minimize the distraction in post and have a brushed selection of all the background - not brushed well enough to just drop it to black though, or black enough anyways. I spent more time enjoying the wedding then grabbing pics.

Jul 01, 2013 at 03:12 PM
xerofun

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bride (New Edit Added)

Wowwwwww that was a lot of brushing to make this work - please let me know what you think about the newest changes - I fiddled with the contrast/brightness on the dress, not sure if i like it compared to the other or not.

6T5A6285-2 by Brian Rogers Photography, on Flickr

Jul 02, 2013 at 02:54 AM
egd5
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Bride (New Edit Added)

FWIW, I like your first processed shot better than the last. However, IMO, I would not have cropped quite as tight. I think with a little looser crop that shows more of the setting and and background then the lights on her arm, etc. are put into context and look fine. It's a shot during the reception, and a nice one she can look at years later and remember. It captures the mood and atmosphere of the night. Don't try to make it a perfect studio shot. Just my opinion.

Jul 03, 2013 at 03:20 AM
firstgear99
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Bride (New Edit Added)

If this was mine, I would see if I could ditch that light back by garage. IMO, too distracting that close to her face......

Jul 04, 2013 at 12:33 PM
xerofun

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Bride (New Edit Added)

Yes, that light is evil rotten. I dont have the tools to easily remove it though with the garage-doory-texture behind it.

Thanks for the insight both of you - I'll play around a bit with the crop too. Shouldn't be too hard to find something that shows a bit more. Now that everything's painted accurately, I should be able to experiment a bit more until I find something I like.

Now if only I could figure out how to make lightroom stop performing like a dog on this picture. Way too much painting for it's wittle pea brain to handle I think

Jul 07, 2013 at 10:46 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password