Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · D600 auto focus problems?

chapmuzic

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D600 auto focus problems?

I'm a canon shooter trying to get some help for a friend.

H recently upgraded to D600 after shooting on a 300 & 200 for years. He is complaining of inconsistent focusing. (soft) Assuming that there is not problem with the camera, are there any tutorials or setting links that you might direct him to?

He shoots primarily event (parties, concerts) photography and studio portraits. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know squat about Nikon. He is trying to convert to back button focusing but has primarily been a front button focus shooter. Is there a big functionality difference from the 200/300 to the D600?

Thanks guys!

Jun 30, 2013 at 08:54 PM
mrgetalife
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D600 auto focus problems?

D600 will work fine in a studio.

D600 in a Concert depending on what kind of concert will be lacking coming from a D300. The D300 has a far superior autofocus system. However the sensor of the D600 is vastly better... so..

Oh also make sure soft isn't DOF. As the Crop/FF DOF changes. Shooting at F/1.4 I got used to what comes out for so long on my D300 that it didn't translate the same on my D600. I guess in time i'll get the proper eyeball judgement.

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Gregstx
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D600 auto focus problems?

The high rez cameras seem to be more sensitive to focus issues and obviously, FF sensors will have a shallower depth of field than the DX sensors in the D200/D300 with the same lens settings. The D300 has a 51 point autofocus system. The D600 has a 39 point autofocus system. And the sensors are located more in the center on the D600. But if I remember correctly, the center focus point on the D600 will focus at f8 while the D300 will only focus at f5.6. Which gives a slight focusing advantage to the D600 in lower light conditions. And the D600 will blow the D300 into the weeds when it comes to high ISO performance. When I was using my D200 or D300, I almost always used the AF-S (single focus) mode with good success. However, on the newer cameras like the D600, I have had much better success using the AF-C (continuous focus) mode. Plus your friend might need to AF fine tune his lenses to get the best performance. If you offer trenchmonkey a brew, he can give you the hot set up on AF for the D600.

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:46 PM
chapmuzic

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D600 auto focus problems?

Thanks guys, I've read mixed opinion regarding the 300 vs 600, but at this point he is all in on the 600 He's just getting a little frustrated. Do you think that converting to the back button focusing will help any. when I switch it made a big difference for me but not sure if it was more psychological or functional. I know for fast moving stuff like sports its the way to go but he is not really shooting stuff with a great deal of movement. I def will mention the continuous mode as perhaps a better option.

appreciate your comments and suggestions!

Jul 01, 2013 at 01:12 AM
theater_dad

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D600 auto focus problems?

I'd recommend gentting the firmware update. Mine behaved much better post update....at least for my shooting.

Jul 04, 2013 at 03:40 AM
blutch
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D600 auto focus problems?

DIdn't know there was a firmware update. What did it update?

B

Jul 05, 2013 at 01:43 AM
pburke
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D600 auto focus problems?

blutch wrote:
DIdn't know there was a firmware update. What did it update?

B

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1201925/0

Jul 05, 2013 at 08:13 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D600 auto focus problems?

chapmuzic wrote:
I'm a canon shooter trying to get some help for a friend.

Maybe your friend should join FM and post some sample images and provide a bit more information so we can help him find a solution, rather than having you passing on the questionable third-hand advice from this thread...

Jul 06, 2013 at 11:10 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.