Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Crazy colors

jeremy raffer

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Crazy colors

So what can I change to make this better? Just to be clear here this is the color that came out of the raw file and is not additionally saturated at all. The only edit I made was reducing the shadows because I found the trees trunks a little distracting.

Jul 01, 2013 at 12:35 AM
Camperjim
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Crazy colors

To my taste this is grossly oversaturated. I prefer a more natural appearance.

I have about gotten to the point where I can no longer look at Outdoor Photographer magazine and a lot of what I see posted on the internet. Everything seems to be pumped up for maximum impact. My pendulum has swung the other way and I now prefer more subdued images.

Obviously my tastes are in the minority. You should go with your vision and taste.

Jul 01, 2013 at 02:27 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Crazy colors

jeremy raffer wrote:
So what can I change to make this better?

Well, that kinda depends ...

Why did you take the image to begin with? What is it that you want for the image to convey to the viewer?

Personally, these "crazy colors" represent the warm direct light separated from the cool indirect overhead sky and the corresponding gradient/intersecting/separating aspects (afforded by the separating cloud layer) of our natural ambient light. For me, it shows us what our natural light is in a way that we typically are oblivious to. It might warrant some WB correction, but that is something of consideration from aesthetics ... which takes me back to what is it that you are wanting to do with the image @ it depends.

I suppose "sky's the limit" at where you want to take something like this, so "better" might be a bit tricky @ something subjective as such and as variant as ever-changing/transitioning natural light.

Here are some color changes that tone down some of the heavier blue/purple areas that might not have been "as seen" in person. This kinda reminds of the interplay of color separation/gradient/intersection @ Antelope Canyon as the direct light angles change throughout the course of the day. What you saw inside AC (eye/brain accommodation) and what the camera recorded ... quite different @ times.

As an aside ... I saw the "sky on fire" for the first time about a month ago (no camera). I've seen a zillion pretty sunsets around the world, and a zillion more pictures of sunsets. I'd heard about the phenomenon of the sky being "on fire", but never witnessed it before, kinda thinking it was only an exaggerated descriptor.

All I can say is ... "Yeah, it looked like the sky was on fire." Even if I had been with camera, it would not have done it justice ... natural light can be incredibly amazing at times. I'm sure your experience with this image was a wonderful one, indeed. Take it wherever you want it so that it conveys your experience/message to your viewers.

Jul 01, 2013 at 03:07 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Crazy colors

Folks here know I like saturated colors, but from time to time even I find reality doesn't look like it should. Why be a slave to a camera's best guess? Reality is for folks who lack imagination.

Opinions vary. Consider your audience. Often you'll find non-photographers like highly saturated colors. That said, try a version with a vibrance layer with a -30 vibrance adjustment. Put the images near each other and look at them daily for a few days. Maybe one or the other will ultimately appeal to you more. Perhaps somewhere in between?

Jul 01, 2013 at 07:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jeremy raffer

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Crazy colors

So the overriding tone here is that its too saturated.

Jul 01, 2013 at 11:58 AM
pinball_pw
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Crazy colors

Jeremy,

You have to go with your tastes and your gut. Did the colors look like this to you? The raw file may look like this due to the WB selected. The mountains changing color is the one thing that doesn't look quite natural to me. I like the composition of the photo. - Paul

Jul 01, 2013 at 02:39 PM
Rick Schump
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Crazy colors

Jeremy, shooting mainly landscape and always enjoying a good silhouette, I find this stunning. That said what WB & picture style do you shoot, I shoot auto with a neutral picture style, choosing to do all my color and tonal adjustments in PP and not in the camera, that said I have a friend who hates PP and does everything he can in camera, choosing a cloudy white balance and a weighted picture style. I don't know how many times I have looked at his camera back and thought " wish I had that much pop". I have seen skies like that and I have walked away with mental images that dwarf my cameras images (isn't memory wonderful). If you like it run with it, every thing out there now a days screams. Rick

Jul 04, 2013 at 01:26 AM
jeremy raffer

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Crazy colors

Thanks Rick. I shoot neutral and daylight and then adjust wb in Photoshop. But this is pretty close to how I remember it looking.

Jul 04, 2013 at 07:12 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password