FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       6       end

Archive 2013 · Instant Film Thread

a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Instant Film Thread

Here is Emily Ashley Lee, a mask, or two, and my neare best handheld try! Shot through my Rollei 6008 Pro, Rollei 80mm 2.8 PQS HFT Planar, and in door lights, with Fuji 100 ISO Color Instant film. the bottom one is near the original, scanned via my wifes wifi deskjet HP-3510, since half on my Epson V500 is in storage, until my flooring is done next week!!

a.Rollei.Brujo66 6-1 by aRolleiBrujo, on Flickr

a.Rollei.Brujo66 6-1 by aRolleiBrujo, on Flickr

Jul 08, 2013 at 01:54 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Instant Film Thread

a.Rollei.Brujo66 6 by aRolleiBrujo, on Flickr

Jul 08, 2013 at 02:12 PM
jeremywilburn

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Instant Film Thread

Thanks all for the sentiments about my step-father!

zalmyb, I think you're right about the solarizing. It does make for an interesting look. That was from my first pack of 3000 so I was still learning how to use the camera and film. Your family shots are great! You do a great job at getting that perfect moment. You must have great patience.

a.Rod, I'm sorry to hear about your house! At least you're looking at the "bright" side (pun intended) by being able to remodel. What you've done so far looks beautiful! The most recent self-portrait of you looks very Phantom of the Opera with what is either a light leak or problems with the developer; it's awesome.

I don't have any photos to share this time unfortunately (don't have any on my work computer)...I need to get out and shoot more with my camera...

Jul 09, 2013 at 08:48 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Instant Film Thread

My frozen film works but indoors with the reporter se aren't turning out too well. Need to play with the combo more.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/9939f046e65f641843cacf51d19da652/tumblr_mpqxksAJ2z1qjnwe9o1_1280.jpg

Jul 10, 2013 at 07:36 PM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Instant Film Thread

Very, very cool...

Instant films and their cameras deserve more focus on this forum.

I have a 500 back for my 4x5 cameras but the film is unobtainum unless you pay through the nose. I decided to buy a Polaroid 180 (professional body) Land Camera so I could experiment with the two Fuji films.

This afternoon I went to the little business store (landcameras.com) in Seattle that is servicing these great machines from yesteryear. I purchased the specific filter adapter that allows me to use common 49mm filters with my 180. I now also have the "portrait goggles" and the close up lens that gives you the extra close focusing distance for face portraits.

Still getting used to it all, but its crazy addictive...

My camera: shot with my iPhone 5...

Jul 10, 2013 at 08:03 PM
matthewm
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Instant Film Thread

PhotoMaximum wrote:
Very, very cool...

Instant films and their cameras deserve more focus on this forum.

I have a 500 back for my 4x5 cameras but the film is unobtainum unless you pay through the nose. I decided to buy a Polaroid 180 (professional body) Land Camera so I could experiment with the two Fuji films.

This afternoon I went to the little business store (landcameras.com) in Seattle that is servicing these great machines from yesteryear. I purchased the specific filter adapter that allows me to use common 49mm filters with my 180. I now also have the "portrait goggles" and the close
...Show more

Love the 180! It's definitely on my list of cameras to pick up at some point. I'm loving the Fuji films though. Hoping they stick around for a while yet. Definitely let us know how that portrait setup works out!

Jul 10, 2013 at 08:11 PM
zalmyb
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Instant Film Thread

I'm pretty jealous about that 180, even though I have a pretty intense machine of my own... it's just slow and huge.

In other news, WE HAD A BABY LAST NIGHT!!

Proof:

Contraction. Expansion.

Jul 10, 2013 at 08:17 PM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Instant Film Thread

There is the Portrait Kit and the Close Up Kit for these Land Cameras. You can buy the whole kit or piece it together on your own. The main hurdle is the odd filter size on the lens. I bought the filter adapter for $25. I then found a three filter close up set made by Vivitar for $8 and a 581A Portrait Goggle for $12. The filter adapter allows me to use cheap red, yellow, ND filters with the 49mm thread. I have just shot one test image and its pretty decent.

I have read that the Close Up system that focuses closer than the Portrait system is harder to get accurate results? I am not really interested in Polaroid macro shots but the Portrait system should be very useful.

I was using my old Sekonic 358 for incident metering here but I am totally digging the free Light Meter app on my iPhone 5! Using the phone, something I always have with me, means I can leave the Sekonic at home.

Jul 10, 2013 at 08:27 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Instant Film Thread

zalmyb wrote:
I'm pretty jealous about that 180, even though I have a pretty intense machine of my own... it's just slow and huge.

In other news, WE HAD A BABY LAST NIGHT!!

Proof:

congrats! and great pics.

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:42 PM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Instant Film Thread

Oh, yes, congrats as well.

There is something wonderful and organic about the unpredictability of instant film photography. Your images really help capture that...

Max

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:46 PM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Instant Film Thread

Quick photo of the Polaroid "portrait kit" I put together: 561A goggles from an automatic Land Camera, a Landcameras.com 180 filter adaptor (Polaroid to 49mm), and a "#1" series close-up filter (49mm) made by Vivitar...

You can see the wide range of manual shutter speeds and aperture settings (f/4.5 - f/90) on the 114mm Tominon lens. Also on the lens is an EV window with settings from 5 to 22 EV. The design of the lens rings make it easy to use EV exposure settings on this camera. The EV numbers can be set at 1/2 EV click stops. Once the correct EV setting has been set, It is very easy to twist both the aperture and shutter dials at the same time to maintain a particular EV number; but it is also easy to set the aperture or shutter independently. (description lifted from the Wiki page...)

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:41 PM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Instant Film Thread

Ok, first ever image using this portrait close focussing system. The kit will allow you to get in between 19"-43" I believe. Ignore the four second still life setup. This is all natural light in my dining room.

The focus feedback is not ideal. It takes more guestimation than using the camera without the portrait kit. There is also some parallax error in the viewfinder to deal with. I cropped the top of the bottles in my first exposure. I guess more experience will account for that. Still, its all part of the instant fun, no?

The not so great part is needing to scan the prints. But for the volume of images I will create with this camera its very doable...

Jul 11, 2013 at 01:56 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Instant Film Thread

Scale focus needs work or maybe a steadier hand but the exposure is getting better.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/b291780b8abe827019879ff4ba07ebbd/tumblr_mpsovrvLSP1qjnwe9o1_400.jpg

Jul 11, 2013 at 06:25 PM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Instant Film Thread

Another quick shot after dinner...

Here is the negative from Fuji FP-3000B (yes that is ISO 3000, but the tones are nice. Negative reversed in Photoshop.)

Here is the negative cropped and inverted (creating a positive.)

And lastly here is a scan from the positive film that gets processed along with the negative.

A lot of the "Roid" kids like to play with the negative. Its quite grainy and there is more detail in the shadows and highlights than there are in the positive print. Pushing the levels to obtain those details can create strange solarization effects which can be pretty cool I guess. You do not have to wash or bleach the negatives from B/W film. With Fuji color film, namely, FP-100C, you have to bleach and wash the negative. I have not tried that yet. In fact I have yet to even try color film with this camera...

Edited on Jul 12, 2013 at 01:07 PM · View previous versions

Jul 12, 2013 at 12:51 PM
matthewm
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Instant Film Thread

I am constantly amazed at the tonality in the 3000B. I absolutely love shooting it. Might have to take some out this weekend. It's been a while since I've shot any.

Thanks for sharing this. It's a wonderful photograph.

Jul 12, 2013 at 01:02 PM
clay23
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Instant Film Thread

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3257/2562686071_f02d78e561_o.jpg

Jul 12, 2013 at 01:31 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Instant Film Thread

clay23 wrote:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3257/2562686071_f02d78e561_o.jpg

this is a pretty neat scene, and shot!

Jul 12, 2013 at 03:17 PM
zalmyb
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Instant Film Thread

Photo Maximum, very nice! I love the tonality of the prints, it's rare that I like the negative better (unless I REALLY need the xtra shadow and highlight detail).

A few more.

RZ67, 65mm, fp3000b negative (wanted some detail in the highlights)

Foot. RZ67, 110mm

Jul 17, 2013 at 08:50 PM
sangdabom73
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Instant Film Thread

PhotoMaximum wrote:
Ok, first ever image using this portrait close focussing system. The kit will allow you to get in between 19"-43" I believe. Ignore the four second still life setup. This is all natural light in my dining room.

The focus feedback is not ideal. It takes more guestimation than using the camera without the portrait kit. There is also some parallax error in the viewfinder to deal with. I cropped the top of the bottles in my first exposure. I guess more experience will account for that. Still, its all part of the instant fun, no?

The not so great part is
...Show more

Tasty wines =)

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:59 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Instant Film Thread

This is an awesome thread. Instant film is amazing.

Jul 19, 2013 at 03:36 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.