Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · MLB: So many things need to happen all at once.

dmwierz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · MLB: So many things need to happen all at once.

Getting a good shot of a great play requires a lot of things to come together at the same time. First of all, there has to BE a great play to photograph. Second of all, you need to be in a position to TAKE the shot. Thirdly, you have to have the skills and equipment required to take the shot. Fourthly, you have to time it perfectly…get the idea?

And then there's a shot like the one below. Everything came together, except I was just a SLIGHT bit too tight. Had I been shooting a 1dX rather than a MkIV (full frame Vs. crop body)…had I been shooting a 300 or a 200-400 instead of a 400…had I been shooting vertical instead of horizontal (80% of infield plays are horizontal in my experience, so it's not "normal" for me to be vertical unless I have a reason to be so)…had any one of these things been true, this might have been a good shot. As it is, it goes on my hard drive, never to be seen again.

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:28 AM
jmcaverly
• • •
p.1 #2 · MLB: So many things need to happen all at once.

AMEN!

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:55 AM
dmwierz
• • • •
p.1 #3 · MLB: So many things need to happen all at once.

I just saw this play replayed on the local TV sports show. Beckham (the player in the shot) leapt maybe 2-3 feet off the ground to make this play. One more reason vertical or looser would have been better: to give perspective to the shot.

Jun 30, 2013 at 01:44 AM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · MLB: So many things need to happen all at once.

Great example and explanation Dennis. Of course this has never happened to me.

Ted

Jun 30, 2013 at 02:53 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · MLB: So many things need to happen all at once.

Damn, Dennis. That hurts. Somehow I'm thinking you probably made up for it!

Jun 30, 2013 at 05:03 AM
dmwierz
• • • •
p.1 #6 · MLB: So many things need to happen all at once.

Thanks for feeling my "pain", fellas. Russ, I had an OK game, but plays like that don't happen too often, especially when you do everything else right. Reminds me of the shot below from last season.

Jun 30, 2013 at 01:00 PM
dmwierz
• • • •
p.1 #7 · MLB: So many things need to happen all at once.

Here are a couple shots of decent catches by Dayan Viciedo, White Sox left fielder. Not quite as compelling, but not bad.

Chicago White Sox left fielder Dayan Viciedo (24) makes a diving catch on a ball off the bat of Cleveland Indians center fielder Michael Bourn (not pictured) during the third inning at US Cellular Field.

Chicago White Sox left fielder Dayan Viciedo (24) makes a diving catch on a ball off the bat of Cleveland Indians shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera (not pictured) during the first inning at US Cellular Field

Jun 30, 2013 at 01:05 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · MLB: So many things need to happen all at once.

Dennis: I hear you, bro. I think one of the toughest things about a shot like that is recovering from it during the shoot. When, as you say, you've done everything right and the stars still don't align, it's frustrating as hell, and unless you are able to put it behind you quickly, that pissed-off feeling can insinuate itself into the rest of the shoot in counterproductive ways. I was shooting an MLS match a few weeks back and set myself up for what I expected to be a beautiful action shot of RSL's goalkeeper, who also happens to be on our national team. I was in the right spot on the sideline, there was a free kick from a position that virtually guaranteed it would be directly on goal, I was focused in and ready. I was expecting a diving save so shot horizontal and very tight. Shot was high (not sure why that possibility NEVER occurred to me!) and the save was a punch over the crossbar. Needless to say.... Now even if I'd gotten the shot, it wouldn't have had nearly the legs of the shot you posted, and it isn't nearly as rare a play, so it's not the same thing except for how that frustration lingered.

Jun 30, 2013 at 03:11 PM
dmwierz
• • • •
p.1 #9 · MLB: So many things need to happen all at once.

Russ, that is EXACTLY what I went through. I kept looking at the missed photo, as if looking at it would somehow cause Beckham's glove and the ball to magically appear in frame. I think this play was something like the 8th inning, so at least there wasn't much time remaining in the game to brood or stew over it.

I've shot a lot of MLS this season, too, and also have had a couple great saves where I was just a smidgen too tight, and yes, the frustration does linger.

If nothing else, this reinforces how amazing it is when one DOES get a great shot - it makes you appreciate how many things have to go right to bag a special sports photograph.

Jun 30, 2013 at 03:51 PM
jspytek
• •
p.1 #10 · MLB: So many things need to happen all at once.

How therapeutic for us non-pros to hear about 1) how much work / preparation / prethinking it takes to get a great shot 2) that you, pros, can have it all thought out then still miss a shot. I don't mean 2 in a negative way, just that you are human and that it does happen. Of course, with your planning and knowledge of the game it will happen a lot less. But I will have a great shot and have one part of that slightly wrong and think does this only happen to me.

Your first shot missed I felt the pain of missing the shot, but the second one I said "damn" out loud.

Thanks for continuing to inspire us lower on the totem pole!

Jun 30, 2013 at 06:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dmwierz
• • • •
p.1 #11 · MLB: So many things need to happen all at once.

John, glad you appreciate this thread in the spirit in which it was posted. I haven't shared a lot of my photo's for a while, despite shooting a lot, mostly because I don't get too many shots that make me go "hey, that's kinda cool", but every so often something happens that I find interesting enough to upload to the forum, even if it comes down to sharing frustration or disappointment.

Hopefully, the next time I post, it will be more "Hey, that's kinda cool, and I got the shot".

Jun 30, 2013 at 07:10 PM
Vancouver47
• •
p.1 #12 · MLB: So many things need to happen all at once.

This thread is beginning to get very expensive....the obvious conclusion is a new 200-400. Ouch!

Jul 01, 2013 at 09:59 PM
Jim Cowsert
• • •
p.1 #13 · MLB: So many things need to happen all at once.

At least your horizon is level..

Jul 02, 2013 at 03:18 AM
picboy
• •
p.1 #14 · MLB: So many things need to happen all at once.

done it, been there. it sucks.....just hope for more plays in later innings, otherwise a long drive home.

Jul 02, 2013 at 07:37 AM
Steven King
• •
p.1 #15 · MLB: So many things need to happen all at once.

I'm feeling your pain too Dennis, more often than I want to admit to. I am using the Nikon 200-400 though so I can tell you it is well worth having. I traded my 400 for it to have the flexibility that it gives me. I thought it was a good idea, then I was TOTALLY sold on it after the Dodgers 'tog Jon SooHoo let me try his out a couple of years ago. I just had one of those moments too, and Jon was standing next to me at the half inning and said "here check this out, it's almost like cheating". He was right. D3+200-400=love.

A couple that I captured with the 200-400 at somewhere near 300mm either way.

behind 1st base

Behind home plate, 1st base side

behind 1st base again.

and this one play at the plate happened so fast I couldn't switch to the other body with the 70-200, but I was still covered at 200mm with the play being horizontal and all

Jul 02, 2013 at 03:27 PM
dmwierz
• • • •
p.1 #16 · MLB: So many things need to happen all at once.

Steven, the 200-400 has almost been enough to move me (at least one camera at a time) over to the Dark Side. I got excited when I heard Canon was coming up with their own 200-400 (with an integral 1.4X TC, no less), then I saw the price tag. OUCH!

If I ever decide to sell my 400 and come into some $$$, I may get the Canon lens. A much cheaper alternative is to sell the 400 and buy a used D3S and 200-400.

Jul 03, 2013 at 05:36 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · MLB: So many things need to happen all at once.

dmwierz wrote:
Steven, the 200-400 has almost been enough to move me (at least one camera at a time) over to the Dark Side. I got excited when I heard Canon was coming up with their own 200-400 (with an integral 1.4X TC, no less), then I saw the price tag. OUCH!

If I ever decide to sell my 400 and come into some $$$, I may get the Canon lens. A much cheaper alternative is to sell the 400 and buy a used D3S and 200-400.

Steven King wrote:
I'm feeling your pain too Dennis, more often than I want to admit to. I am using the Nikon 200-400 though so I can tell you it is well worth having. I traded my 400 for it to have the flexibility that it gives me. I thought it was a good idea, then I was TOTALLY sold on it after the Dodgers 'tog Jon SooHoo let me try his out a couple of years ago. I just had one of those moments too, and Jon was standing next to me at the half inning and said "here check this
...Show more

Ouch....ouch...............OMG

Ted

Jul 03, 2013 at 06:38 PM
herocero

p.1 #18 · MLB: So many things need to happen all at once.

i wish i had your guys' "problems" well said and i enjoy these shots very much. i'd give my left foot for a chance photograph puig right now out here in LA.

Jul 03, 2013 at 06:55 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #19 · MLB: So many things need to happen all at once.

While it's rather unlikely that I'll ever be shooting an MLB (or any other pro sport), still the "do everything right BUT feeling" . . .

Can't tell you how many times I've looked at what I thought might have been the best shot of the night but something out of my control or prediction got in the way. A ref's arm. A down field receiver abrupt reversing front to back as he makes the catch, or the killer of all: the almost, so close but not really focused due to any number of reasons (mostly operator error). The particularly damning one in my venues is the play going into one of the shadows where the gym or field lights are out and just not having enough light.

I look at them for a bit, mutter obscenities to myself, hope I learn something, and then trash them. Close just doesn't count in this game.

Dennis, I remember that shot from last year. D*mn! Still hurts. The other two shots from the ChiSox game really are good, but is it just our minds that make us feel they aren't quite as good as the one that got away?

Robert

Jul 04, 2013 at 03:53 AM
petereoin
• • •
p.1 #20 · MLB: So many things need to happen all at once.

Dennis, this doesn't only happen for MLB, but also football (soccer)

1.) left leg cutoff, shot full frame with 400mm

PJF_4541.jpg by petereoin1, on Flickr

2.) I was anticipating the shot on goal, but the ball is out of frame, again full frame with 400mm

PJF_4566.jpg by petereoin1, on Flickr

Jul 07, 2013 at 12:00 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password