Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Mola Demi vs. Profoto beauty dish using Acute2/Uni400JR

pjny
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Mola Demi vs. Profoto beauty dish using Acute2/Uni400JR

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting the Mola Demi, Chimera Octa 2/30 or the Profoto. I'm leaning towards the Demi because I can use it with the Profoto AcuteB head as well as with my Uni 400JR if I need a second light.

Anyone using the Mola Demi with the Uni400Jr and Mola speedring? Excluding color consistency etc. will the Profoto and Uni400JR look the same when attached to a Mola Demi using the appropriate speed rings?

I have read many threads on Profoto vs. Mola but haven't seen any head-to-head tests. Does anyone have both and how do they compare?

I saw Matthew Jordan Smith creativelive video and he loves just using that one Profoto dish.

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Takira71A

p.1 #2 · Mola Demi vs. Profoto beauty dish using Acute2/Uni400JR

____

Quick Answer:

Definitely get the 22" Mola Demi... (*In either the White or Silver)!
--
The Demi is extremely versatile (with the various Mola Diffusion and Grid Reflectors that are available for it) and the 'Quality of Light' that it puts out... Is 'Very Exquisite' and Far Superior to the Chimera Octa 24" and 30" IMHO.

It of course... Is *Not* collapsible like the Chimera Octa's that you were also considering -- But you of course already know this?
--
If you should have any further questions... Please feel free to PM me and I would be more than happy to try to be of further assistance to you!
--
Best,

-Tim.
_______

Jul 14, 2013 at 06:20 PM
pjny
• •
p.1 #3 · Mola Demi vs. Profoto beauty dish using Acute2/Uni400JR

Thanks, Tim. I will get the Demi. Just one more question: guy at the store who I trust said something to the effect that the only problem with the Uni 400JR on the Demi is that the head on the Uni 400JR does not disperse light as properly as the Profoto using the appropriate speedring on the Demi.

He said the Profoto 600 AcubeB head would give better results. I was a little rushed at the time and didn't ask him to elaborate.

I just want to be able to have the Uni 400 JR on the Demi and use the Profoto on the RFI 3' Octa I have.

Do you think the Uni 400 will look worse on the Demi compared to Profoto?

Thanks.

Jul 14, 2013 at 06:38 PM
Takira71A

p.1 #4 · Mola Demi vs. Profoto beauty dish using Acute2/Uni400JR

No problem. You are MORE than Welcome!
Excellent choice. You made the correct decision!
--
>> Do you think the Uni 400 will look worse on the Demi compared to Profoto?

pjny...

Pjny, like they say in life... 'Everything Changes Everything!'. .
--
YES... Every Flash Head has *Slightly* different 'Dispersion Characteristics' (Other than Color Temperature of course) when used in a Soft Box -- *** PRIMARILY *** depending upon the following two (2) factors:

1). The *SHAPE* of the Flash Tube.

and

2). Where it is *Situated*. (* I.e... How far 'FORWARD' it sits into the various Light Modifier that you are planning on using it with).

*I believe that it is these points that the Salesperson was perhaps trying to bring to your attention and I definitely do believe that they both have 'Relative Merit'.
--

As I physically do not have both Flash Heads in front of me and have never worked with the Dynalite... I cannot make this call for you.

Yes! Speed Rings can vary greatly between different Light Modifiers and some combinations work MUCH better than others. Any Photographer worth a 'Grain of Salt' will tell you this...
--

HOWEVER, since you already own both Heads... If you measure how far FORWARD the *Center* of the Flash Tube is on each head ('In relation to the front of the 'Mounting Ring')... You will then have your answer!
--
Although, I too... Might personally be tempted to use your Better Flash Head (*I.e. the Profoto Acute 600) on the Mola and then put the Dynalite Uni 400 on the Octa... The final choice is of course up to you and only you!

(*If I were you... I would always use my 'Best' Flash Head on my 'Main Light' and use my 'Secondary' Flash Heads on my 'Fill Light' or 'Background Light' etc., etc.
--

Even if you don't have the opportunity to do this now... You always have the 'Option' to make this comparison (down the road) and then YOU will 'Truly Know'... Which Combo works/appeals best to you!
--

As per previous... My 'Primary Concern' with the Uni 400 Jr., *MIGHT* be how far forward the *Center* of the Flash Tube is on the head in relation to the Mounting Ring (I.e. how far it sits 'Into' the Mola).

I too of course, have not seen or used the Mola Speed Ring for your Dynalite that you are planning to use... So I thus cannot comment on whether I would like it or not....
--

Please feel free to get back to me if you need further assistance or perhaps don't understand what I have tried to explain. (* I too at one time had to learn all of this!). BIG SMILE.
--
-Tim.
_______

Jul 14, 2013 at 07:13 PM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #5 · Mola Demi vs. Profoto beauty dish using Acute2/Uni400JR

The uni 400 has a built in reflector, similar to the Profoto D1 monos. This limits the spread of the light into the Demi. The acute heads have glass domes(IIRC) that allow more of a bare bulb spread. This is preferred for soft boxes and beauty dishes. Whether it is a huge differen e is only something you can decide for yourself. Personally I would use the Profoto as the main.

Jul 14, 2013 at 09:04 PM
Takira71A

p.1 #6 · Mola Demi vs. Profoto beauty dish using Acute2/Uni400JR

____

>> The uni 400 has a built in reflector...

Although I have not used the Dynalite Uni 400's... I would *Well imagine* that the Standard 7" Reflector is of COURSE *Removable* -- As it always is from the various Manufacturers. Please correct me if I am wrong in this respect to the Dyna Uni Jr. 400's. Thank-you!
--

THEREFORE... Using a Dynalite 400 Uni 400 Jr. Flash Head with a Mola Demi -- WILL NOT (*In itself) limit the spread of light. (* With respect to my previous posting about the distance from the Flash Bulb to Speed Ring' -- 'Duly Noted').
--
I too of course would ALSO... Choose to use the Profoto 600 as a 'Main Light'...

But of course pjnv is free to choose how he would like to proceed with his purchasing decisions and Lighting Arrangements. He 'May' or 'May Not' have considerations with respect to his personal Lighting Preferences' -- That both you and I -- Are not well aware of!
____

Jul 14, 2013 at 11:08 PM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #7 · Mola Demi vs. Profoto beauty dish using Acute2/Uni400JR

I actually remembered the Uni 400 incorrectly. I recalled it having a recessed flash tube with a non removable reflector, similar to the Profoto D1s and the Dynalite MH2015 heads, but it has an exposed flash tube so it should have a similar spread.

Jul 15, 2013 at 12:53 AM
Takira71A

p.1 #8 · Mola Demi vs. Profoto beauty dish using Acute2/Uni400JR

____

No problem! My memory too... Is not quite as good as it once was!
--
YES! The Dynalite 400 Uni Jr.'s definitely have an exposed Flash Tube... And should therefore give a *Similar* 'Lighting Spread' (*Although not quite identical to his Profoto Acute 600B Head) when used with a Mola Demi.
--
Best,

-Tim.
_______

Jul 15, 2013 at 01:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

pjny
• •
p.1 #9 · Mola Demi vs. Profoto beauty dish using Acute2/Uni400JR

Thanks. Here is a view of the Uni 400 Jr. head:

OK, i remember what the photo tech said was the difference: the frosted dome on the profoto acute b.

My question is would the light dispersal from Profoto acuteb be better than the Uni 400 because of the frosted dome on the Profoto? (and Not considering color accuracy or flash duration)

Thanks

Jul 15, 2013 at 09:05 AM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Mola Demi vs. Profoto beauty dish using Acute2/Uni400JR

pjny wrote:
My question is would the light dispersal from Profoto acuteb be better than the Uni 400 because of the frosted dome on the Profoto?

In a word, yes. The frosted dome generates a uniform light pattern by obscuring the flash tube, and extends the light source away from the base for omni-directional coverage. These emission properties play best with reflectors, especially the BD and those that are shiny or parabolic. In particular, the Narrow Beam with parabolic shape and mirror finish can project the image of the flash tube onto a wall - not usually desirable. Profoto also offers clear domes that are optimized for other modifers (soft- and hardboxes). I don't have any clear domes, but often remove the frosted dome for better ventilation in the ProBox, and when I want to shift Kelvin by +150. Other domes (clear or frosted) can shift Kelvin by -150 or -300 from the default.

Jul 15, 2013 at 08:08 PM
Takira71A

p.1 #11 · Mola Demi vs. Profoto beauty dish using Acute2/Uni400JR

>> My question is would the light dispersal from Profoto Acute be better than the Uni 400 because of the frosted dome on the Profoto?

My quick answer to you is 'YES, NO and MAYBE'...

pjny... That is *FAR* too 'Open' of a question for anybody here on FM to answer -- Other than you yourself!!!

*** What do YOU mean by BETTER *** What are you trying to accomplish?

*Quickly perusing the list of Lighting Equipment that you presently own (or have used in the past)... You should *Already* have a Basic Grasp of Lighting and 'Lighting Theory'.

IF NOT... I would strongly suggest that you read a good book on the subject and work more with the equipment that you already NOW own!
(*Ross Lowell's 'Matter of Light & Depth' is one of the books that I would highly recommend to you (ISBN#: 0-9662504-0-0)).

Doing these two things... Will take you or should take you *Much Further* than 'Simply Adding' another piece of gear to your already present inventory.
--
Simply purchasing a Mola Demi (*Or any other new piece of gear for that matter) JUST because somebody else uses it) -- Is *NOT* going to get you where you want to go or where NEED to be -- IF you don't already understand the 'Basic Fundamentals' of Lighting

If at the present time... You cannot answer the above questions... *YOU* perhaps need to use and work with the equipment that you *Already Own* MORE Often -- In order to learn what each piece of equipment 'Can or Cannot' do for YOU!
--

Pjny... How do you plan on using the Mola Demi
(*Stock? Open Face? With or without the Internal Reflector? With a Sock Diffuser? Without a Sock Diffuser? With Two Sock Diffusers? With a Grid? What Color of Grid? ETC. ETC. ETC.... 'Ad Infinitum'...).
--

What is the size of your Subject Matter? What is your Subject to Lighting Distance? These two variables ALONE... Will make a far greater difference than whether or not you plan to use your Profoto Acute OR Uni 400 Head with a Mola Demi...
--

Pjny... There is *** NO MAGICAL *** piece of Lighting Equipment out there!!! I am 'Afraid to Break the News' to you...

It all comes down to your 'Personal Vision' and purchasing the right piece of Lighting Equipment -- For the Job that you are trying to accomplish!!!

If you understand 'Lighting' properly... *YOU* can make 'Almost' any piece of equipment work! I have seen Photographers work wonders with a couple of very inexpensive Umbrellas and a simple Reflector or two...
--

Pjny... I ***Sincerely Hope*** that you don't think that I am coming down 'Hard' on you -- In any Way, Shape or Form! That was/is certainly not my intention.

I *HONESTLY* want to help you and hope that what I have said... Will make you THINK about where you are today with your 'Lighting Technique' and what you perhaps still 'Need to Do' -- In order for YOU to get where you 'Want to Be!

Best,

-Tim.
____

*** pjny...

IC that Rico has now been kind enough to take the time to give you a very nice (And 'Extremely Accurate' -- Thanks Rico! ) explanation of the Differences between a 'Frosted' Flash Tube and a 'Bare Bulb' Tube.

IMNSHO... You now have all of the information that you need to help you in your future puchasing decisions -- With respect to the use of a Mola Demi (On Either your Profoto or Dynalite Head).
_______

Jul 15, 2013 at 08:14 PM
GlennPhoto

p.1 #12 · Mola Demi vs. Profoto beauty dish using Acute2/Uni400JR

The Profoto style head will be slightly more efficient than the Uni400jr in the Mola Demi. I use a Dynalite 4040 head (similar to the Profoto's frosted dome) in a Mola Demi. The dome will protrude into the dish which allows the light to wrap.

I just checked and my Uni400jr will fit, but the flash tube is even with the base of the Demi. The light will still wrap, but not as directly. The final results should be fine.

Here's a blog post I did awhile back on using a Mola Demi for a portrait shoot:

http://blog.gmatsumura.com/2011/01/07/on-assignment-alan-hebert-scottish-games/

Hope this helps!

Jul 15, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Takira71A

p.1 #13 · Mola Demi vs. Profoto beauty dish using Acute2/Uni400JR

____

Glenn... NICE to see you getting that Mola Demi -- 'Out of the Studio' and into the Field!

http://glennmatsumura.photoshelter.com/image/I0000GicioNBVxbI

Nice Work Glenn! Looks GREAT!!!
I hope that Alan didn't 'Rough you Up' too much... During the Shoot!
(* Just joking of course)...

--
-Tim.
_______

Jul 16, 2013 at 12:19 AM
GlennPhoto

p.1 #14 · Mola Demi vs. Profoto beauty dish using Acute2/Uni400JR

Thanks for the compliments. It was a fun shoot!

Jul 25, 2013 at 02:20 AM
pjny
• •
p.1 #15 · Mola Demi vs. Profoto beauty dish using Acute2/Uni400JR

Thanks, Glenn.

Jul 25, 2013 at 05:55 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password