Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · How To: Without Hurting or Killing the Spider

David Levinson
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How To: Without Hurting or Killing the Spider

I saw a house spider in one of our rooms so I urged it into a glass and it's sitting there next to me right now urging me to put it back where I found it. I'm trying to figure out how to set up a photo with an MP-E 65mm at 5x without hurting or killing the spider and then I'm just going to put it back where I found it. Any ideas how to get it onto a stage and have it stay put?

Thanks for any help on this.

David

Jun 29, 2013 at 08:06 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How To: Without Hurting or Killing the Spider

The standard answer to this is to put it in the fridge for 10 minutes but I just do not like doing that. You will often find if you leave it with some shading behind it (ie in the semi dark) they will calm down enough for you to be able to lift the glass partially to get some shots. If this doesn't work I just release them. With other bugs such as flies, hovers, bees etc it can be easier when you capture them in the house as they will settle down to feed on a drop of honey.

Brian v.

Jun 30, 2013 at 06:15 AM
David Levinson
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How To: Without Hurting or Killing the Spider

Thanks Brian, good advice for next time. I did just end up letting the spider go in our indoor house plants without getting any good shots.

Jul 01, 2013 at 05:44 AM
MarkB1
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How To: Without Hurting or Killing the Spider

... when you lift the glass be very gentle as they will sense the movement of air. Spiders also get thirsty so if the glass is on a surface that's acceptable, photographically, I'd put a drop of water into its environment. I have also seen one take honey. Patience works but sometimes you just have to let go ...

I just saw you did let it go. There might be a better opportunity there, on your plants.

Like Brian, and many others here, I don't agree with slowing them by suppression - rather distraction.

Jul 01, 2013 at 08:48 AM
David Levinson
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How To: Without Hurting or Killing the Spider

Suppressing and interrogating an insect just doesn't seem fair. I try to photograph them in their environment and there's ample opportunity outside my house for that.

I just got an the 65mm and am trying to get a good photo without a setup. That is as challenging a lens as I have read that it was going to be. But then, it's no fun if the results come easily.

Jul 01, 2013 at 09:43 PM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password