Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · WA560 Train Bridge (Assignment: Structures)

beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · WA560 Train Bridge (Assignment: Structures)

I'm on the fence with this one as-is, just need to be pushed one way or the other.

Does it lose all context with the crop?

Thanks!

Jun 29, 2013 at 02:30 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · WA560 Train Bridge (Assignment: Structures)

Without the title, I'm in the "What is it?" mode. With the title, I'm in the "Really ... that's a train bridge?" mode.

The diagonal girders @ ULC are most reminiscent of train bridge to me, but the platform and arcs throw me off quite a bit.

Jun 29, 2013 at 03:33 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · WA560 Train Bridge (Assignment: Structures)

RustyBug wrote:
Without the title, I'm in the "What is it?" mode. With the title, I'm in the "Really ... that's a train bridge?" mode.

The diagonal girders @ ULC are most reminiscent of train bridge to me, but the platform and arcs throw me off quite a bit.

There is a reason I didn't get creative with the title!

Yeah, it's quite bizarre. Maybe it was more than just a bridge at some point.

It's tightly cropped because you don't get as much pop from the details when it's pulled out and these are the most interesting portions of the bridge.

Jun 29, 2013 at 03:40 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · WA560 Train Bridge (Assignment: Structures)

My suggestion would be to try this in black and white which would emphasize the very unusual lines and geometric forms. As is, I don't think color adds anything and ultimately is an unnecessary distraction.

Jul 01, 2013 at 08:51 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · WA560 Train Bridge (Assignment: Structures)

I tend to agree with the BW suggestion, however at a more fundamental level, I don't see anything of compelling interest. Most everything is going horizontally, resulting in a static, flat, image.

Regards,

Bob

Jul 02, 2013 at 06:23 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · WA560 Train Bridge (Assignment: Structures)

To Beavens: I didn't see the uncropped image, so could you repost that so we can assess the possibilities.

Jul 02, 2013 at 08:13 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · WA560 Train Bridge (Assignment: Structures)

Sorry for the late replies - eeneryma, I had looked at this in B&W and it I believe it actually made it look flatter. I thought the color and texture gave it some pop.

Bob - thanks for the comments. I'll definitely reevaluate.

Attached is a less cropped shot that is similar and then another at an entirely different angle.

Jul 02, 2013 at 08:33 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · WA560 Train Bridge (Assignment: Structures)

Night & Day diff @ identification. Also, leading lines and interesting detail @ interior track (brake ), water/bridge relationship, structural reinforcement, etc. Much more relatable/identifiable.

Whether or not that is your intent vs. guessing @ abstract ... subjective call at your intent for your viewer. Mono still calls out for consideration, imo.

Jul 02, 2013 at 08:49 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · WA560 Train Bridge (Assignment: Structures)

You'll have to forgive my BW conversions - probably better off using presets, ha.

Jul 02, 2013 at 09:07 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · WA560 Train Bridge (Assignment: Structures)

Here's another conversion, tighter crop. Unfortunately, the unique structure of the bridge is fighting the foliage background for attention. Agree with Rusty that the other shot is more compelling.

Jul 02, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · WA560 Train Bridge (Assignment: Structures)

Yes, 3/4 frontal view is much more interesting.

Try manipulating green and blue sliders to add some separation from metal work.

Bob

Jul 03, 2013 at 08:01 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · WA560 Train Bridge (Assignment: Structures)

Bob - I'll tweak it and see what comes of it.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

The feedback is really appreciated.

Jul 03, 2013 at 08:05 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · WA560 Train Bridge (Assignment: Structures)

A quick conversion in LR & some toning in CS6 with a palladium action. LR BW Panel included, many other variations possible.

Regards,

Bob

BW Sliders

Jul 03, 2013 at 12:10 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · WA560 Train Bridge (Assignment: Structures)

Bob,

Thanks for this - your processing is leaps and bounds better than what I produced.

As I'm someone especially weak with conversion, have you got any tips or general rules to follow? I love using BW for texture and lines, but sometimes getting there is a battle for me.

Jul 03, 2013 at 12:13 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · WA560 Train Bridge (Assignment: Structures)

Study color theory if you want to improve your B&W processing. Push/pull on channels is much easier than D&B selective areas for tonal value changes, imo.

Jul 03, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · WA560 Train Bridge (Assignment: Structures)

beavens wrote:
Bob,

Thanks for this - your processing is leaps and bounds better than what I produced.

As I'm someone especially weak with conversion, have you got any tips or general rules to follow? I love using BW for texture and lines, but sometimes getting there is a battle for me.

Thanks, it did convert well.

Tips & rules - Find something that works for you and practice, practice, practice. Just last night I discarded another BW product, slick, efficient, but after I got over the thrill of the bling, it didn't offer anything (other than numerous presets that are well done but I will never use) much new. For my needs, ACR and LR are more than sufficient, along with maybe Silver Efex Pro thrown in the mix but with SEP I obsess over the number of sliders and usually over-cook the image.

I've found George DeWolfe's work most instructive. He also has a book describing his workflow for LR, again instructive. Practice with LR if you can - the BW panel - moving sliders to see how various settings effect tonal range to achieve the results you envision. Also, Matt Kosklowski (google the name) has a number of free BW presets for LR that are good starting points.

Summary? Find what works for you. Otherwise you'll drive yourself nuts with the wide variety of conversion tools and methods available. No doubt each serves a purpose and produces results better than others in specific cases, I prefer a simpler less complex solution (for my purposes).

Hope this helps - and of course check out YouTube tutorials.

Bob

Jul 03, 2013 at 01:17 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.