Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Challenging Wildebeests

sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Challenging Wildebeests

Processing?
Crop?
Other thoughts?
Thx
Scott

GoetzPhotoz 2013

Canon EOS 7D    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens    100mm    f/6.3    1/1250s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Jun 29, 2013 at 08:26 PM · View previous versions

Jun 29, 2013 at 03:37 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Challenging Wildebeests

Any chance of getting the CR2?

It has an edge to it so the presentation reflects the action/tension. Can't say I'm wild about the tones - wish the animal at right had more detail.

Must have been fascinating to watch , even more amazing is they totally ignored your vehicle; 100mm you had a front row seat!

Regards,

Bob

Jun 29, 2013 at 06:46 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Challenging Wildebeests

+1 @ Bob/CR2/sooc ... not sure yet @ what/how, but I feel like a different processing would be better for this one.

Jun 29, 2013 at 08:38 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Challenging Wildebeests

Thanks guys.
Not happy with the toning on this one.
Here is SOOC.
Go for it!
If either of you still want the RAW, let me know and I will email.

Scott

Jun 29, 2013 at 09:23 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Challenging Wildebeests

Two versions. Color lots of control points in Viveza2 to recover detail, then play in LR5 with radial gradient and clarity, my usual sharpening with crop.

BW - conversion in LR5 using the above color version as a starting point, adjust Luminosity sliders in HSL for minute details, gradient to bring down background and foreground, sharpen with a touch of NR to take the edge of some of the sharpening. Played around with toning until I found something I thought might work (I'm really a klutz with the toning sliders).

Regards,

Bob

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:25 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Challenging Wildebeests

Thanks guys.
Bob, both of your reworks are an improvement.
Here is an new iteration.
Not sure about this one either. Over-processed?
Scott

GoetzPhotoz 2013

Jul 01, 2013 at 05:32 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Challenging Wildebeests

sbeme wrote:
Thanks guys.
Bob, both of your reworks are an improvement.
Here is an new iteration.
Not sure about this one either. Over-processed?
Scott

Thanks,

When doing the conversion, I noticed that red played a role in the tones of their coats/skin. Magenta and purple in flower blossoms (thistle?). Adjusting those, as well as the other sliders helped subdue some harshness.

The re-work seems over-processed (sharpened) for the mid-tones of the wildebeests and foreground vegetation, which competes for attention. Really a tough issue to resolve given the dominance of grasses (and there with tonal similarity in the image).

Are their coats mottled as appears in the rightmost animal?

Bob

Jul 01, 2013 at 06:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Challenging Wildebeests

I am not sure which will print the best. Regardless this is a nice image and well worth some effort to get a really decent print. Typically B&W can add some drama. I am not sure that is working here. I still think the color version is a bit better.

Jul 01, 2013 at 06:54 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Challenging Wildebeests

Thanks Bob, Jim.
More work ahead on this one.
Bob,
the blue wildebeests of Tanzania have a striped coat more than a mottling. The stripes are more visible with the shadow recovery of the beast on the right. And there is some variation.
Scott

Jul 01, 2013 at 07:04 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Challenging Wildebeests

Took a stab at it ...

Jul 01, 2013 at 09:21 PM
eeneryma
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Challenging Wildebeests

Just curious...Were these 2 animals just grazing, or were they getting ready to square off at one another? If charging one another, any other action photos of that? All of these wonderful photos that you've posted make me want to go on a camera Safari!!

Jul 02, 2013 at 01:43 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Challenging Wildebeests

eeneryma wrote:
Just curious...Were these 2 animals just grazing, or were they getting ready to square off at one another? If charging one another, any other action photos of that? All of these wonderful photos that you've posted make me want to go on a camera Safari!!

Well......
the answer is both.
While the wildebeest certainly look and act dumb, we were convinced that they were stubborn and contrary. Every time we saw a couple adopt this aggressive, territorial challenge pose we grabbed our cameras. Cant tell you how many times they said, "screw this, screw the photographers" and resumed peacefully grazing.
I will search. Some chase scenes, but none of the real locked horns aggression we had hoped to see. And it all changed so quickly.
In the meantime, so glad you are enjoying. There are additional posts on Nature that have not been presented here. And many more I will not bother Critique with. At some point I will email groups of selections of finished images. If interested, PM me and I will add you to my list. And I will eventually update my website.
Safari is great. Ridiculously expensive. But great. My wife supported my trip. One trip like this every 60 years!
Scott

Jul 02, 2013 at 01:50 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Challenging Wildebeests

not the best technically, but by request, here are two more action shots
hopefully they have a place as part of a storyline

Scott

GoetzPhotoz 2013

Canon EOS 7D    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens    300mm    f/6.3    1/400s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

GoetzPhotoz 2013

Canon EOS 7D    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens    300mm    f/6.3    1/500s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jul 02, 2013 at 02:02 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password