New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Nikons V

Two23
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikons V

I'm thinking of picking up an underwater camera for an upcomming trip to Hawaii. It will involve snorkling and exploring tide pools. Since there isn't much opportunity to use an underwater camera in South Dakota, I was thinking of buying an inexpensive digital p&s. I got to checking ebay and noticed the NIkonos V. It looks pretty cool! I'm not at all afraid of film cameras (I'm taking a Leica IIIc with me too.) Anyone have any experience with the Nikonos? The biggest strike against it for me is its size. A very small p&s digital would pack in my suitcase a lot easier, and my teen age kid could use it too.

Kent in SD

Jun 29, 2013 at 09:38 AM
jmcfadden
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikons V

my vote would be to get a P&S with one of the UW cases, you can sell the case easily and digital is just much better for casual use than a Nikonos

Jun 29, 2013 at 09:59 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikons V

jmcfadden wrote:
my vote would be to get a P&S with one of the UW cases, you can sell the case easily and digital is just much better for casual use than a Nikonos

Yes, that's where I'm a little stuck. BTW, when I mentioned a used p&s, I was thinking of the waterproof kind, like a Panasonic or Pentax W series. No case needed.

Kent in SD

Jun 29, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikons V

I used to dive a lot and used an Oly 3040 in an UW housing - down to 60m though only rated to 40m was no problem at all and it was cheap, I still have 7 or 8 10x8s hanging on the wall.

The Nikonos were all damn difficult to use and of course there is no chance to see if you actually made the shot - or have multiple attempts (I'd often come back with a hundred or more shots per dive). I'd go for one of the many UW P&S cameras/housings you really don't need the latest and greatest (and I only ever used the onboard flash or the UK Light Cannon 100 HID scuba torch) but try to get the fastest lens. EDIT - that looks like a Light Cannon on the girl in the last shot below.

Modern dive torches are not expensive (figure $20-30 for an OK one) and keep it strapped to the back of your wrist.

These were all from the Oly 3040 (3.1mp before cropping) about 10 yrs ago (or it feels like it) ! Note the copyright is from when I re-developed and put them on the web - not from when they were taken !

These are thumb-sized fish.

Edited on Jun 29, 2013 at 11:23 AM · View previous versions

Jun 29, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikons V

Two23 wrote:
Yes, that's where I'm a little stuck. BTW, when I mentioned a used p&s, I was thinking of the waterproof kind, like a Panasonic or Pentax W series. No case needed.

Kent in SD

I bought and used an Olympus Tough TG-810 for diving with seals on a recent NZ trip. Just crap, the shutter delay is excruciating. I'd have much preferred the old 3040 & housing I mentioned above !

Jun 29, 2013 at 11:19 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.