Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Charlie

ADCOLE
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Charlie

I am still working on skin smoothing techinque. I like for the skin to be smooth enough to were the pores are still visible without the plastic look. C&C is most welcome!

Jun 29, 2013 at 03:22 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Charlie

Skin texture is pretty subjective in today's realm. I don't find it objectionable @ plastic fake looking in most areas. It does look smoothed in some areas, but again, not objectionably so as the other aspects of the image quickly override it. Yet, some areas kinda look like banding ... anybody else?

Curious @ WB ... looks a bit cyanic/blue cast to me. What did you use for determining WB? I've warmed things up a bit for comparison ... @ +/- too warm

Edited on Jun 29, 2013 at 01:34 PM · View previous versions

Jun 29, 2013 at 04:25 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Charlie

After removing significant blemishes but leaving the skin texture, try creating a duplicate layer, smoothing the skin, and blending back some of the skin texture from the background layer with the opacity slider on the smoothed duplicate layer.

Jun 29, 2013 at 06:15 AM
eeneryma
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Charlie

A couple of technical questions to improve my own photography. How many feet is model away from background? How many lights and what type are you using to get the bright white background which I like. What is the difference in exposure settings between the model and the background? Thanks for your technical help. I'd like to get bright white backgrounds like this in my portraits.

Jun 29, 2013 at 12:00 PM
ADCOLE
• •
p.1 #5 · Charlie

RustyBug wrote:
Skin texture is pretty subjective in today's realm. I don't find it objectionable @ plastic fake looking in most areas. It does look smoothed in some areas, but again, not objectionably so as the other aspects of the image quickly override it. Yet, some areas kinda look like banding ... anybody else?

Curious @ WB ... looks a bit cyanic/blue cast to me. What did you use for determining WB? I've warmed things up a bit for comparison ... @ +/- too warm

I had the WB @5500 with +10 on the tint. I thought the original file look too yellowish/greenish for my taste so I played with the yellow & green hue. At the time of the shoot I had WB set to flash and it was a bit cooler. I do have my monitor calibrated with the SpyderPro 4 by the way.

Jun 29, 2013 at 12:31 PM
ADCOLE
• •
p.1 #6 · Charlie

AuntiPode wrote:
After removing significant blemishes but leaving the skin texture, try creating a duplicate layer, smoothing the skin, and blending back some of the skin texture from the background layer with the opacity slider on the smoothed duplicate layer.

I will definitely try this. I try to do most of my post in LR. I know PS just enough to get myself in trouble.

Jun 29, 2013 at 12:34 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Charlie

Gotcha ... thanks.

+1 @ calibrated monitor. You didn't mention using a reference color (gray card/color checker), so I'm curious as to how you assess color? I'm not being critical of your process, just trying to understand where/why/how the variances come into play @ times. OIC @ LR vs. PS.

I personally do not shoot much with a reference color in the scene (shooting mostly ambient/nature) and typically find some neutrals in the scene to guide my balancing, so I'm not being critical of shooting without one, but nature can be pretty forgiving, while portrait/fashion pretty critical.

In the case of Charlie, I go to the pupils and and check them for low tonal value neutrality and use the reflections of your lights in her pupils to check for mid/high neutrality. I found them to be on the cool side and did my usual adjustments to neutralize them ... but then I kinda felt I "overcooked" things and pulled it back a bit, still not confident of whether I helped or made things worse. That, and the shifts on the bg didn't coordinate with what I was expecting.

I usually have a pretty good feeling about my CC, but this one was kinda "mixed" for me ... thus I ask what your approach was to factor into what my starting point was for CC without a standardized reference color.

I hope that makes some sense ... thanks.

Lovely shot with engaging eyes btw. Not sure if it is noticeable to others or not, but her iris is kinda hard to distinguish from her pupil. I might consider the possibility of trying to distinguish her iris a bit more ... Karen, tips @ iris

Also ... diggin' how you incorporated your logo. Subtle, but with message.

Jun 29, 2013 at 12:51 PM
ADCOLE
• •
p.1 #8 · Charlie

RustyBug wrote:
Gotcha ... thanks.

+1 @ calibrated monitor. You didn't mention using a reference color (gray card/color checker), so I'm curious as to how you assess color? I'm not being critical of your process, just trying to understand where/why/how the variances come into play @ times. OIC @ LR vs. PS.

I personally do not shoot much with a reference color in the scene (shooting mostly ambient/nature) and typically find some neutrals in the scene to guide my balancing, so I'm not being critical of shooting without one, but nature can be pretty forgiving, while portrait/fashion pretty critical.

In the case of Charlie, I
...Show more

I'm not concern with you or anyone else beening too critical. If I did, I would be able to get better at what I love doing. I tried to reference the eyes but it turn out to be too cool for my taste so I played with the settings i.e. WB, tint, hue and saturation. My settings for this shot consisted of the following:
Nikon D4
85mm f/1.8g
Hensel strobe with shoot thru umbrella
aperture: 2.8
shutter speed: 1/160sec
ISO: 100

Jun 29, 2013 at 03:00 PM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #9 · Charlie

To me this is very heavy on the smoothing. I do see some texture in the bright area around the hairline but otherwise the appearance is heavy pancake makeup or heavy PP. Clearly this is a matter of taste and intention and would be consistent with most advertising and fashion work.

Jun 29, 2013 at 03:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ADCOLE
• •
p.1 #10 · Charlie

Camperjim wrote:
To me this is very heavy on the smoothing. I do see some texture in the bright area around the hairline but otherwise the appearance is heavy pancake makeup or heavy PP. Clearly this is a matter of taste and intention and would be consistent with most advertising and fashion work.

Thanks for your input sir.

Jun 29, 2013 at 03:24 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Charlie

Antonio ... you spirit @ growth is pretty much what we are all about around the PC Forum ... which btw, "Welcome, to the PC Forum".

Most of us offer up our perspectives as just another set of eyes and minds to bounce things off of. As you know, our craft has aspects of it that are both technical and highly subjective, with very little ever being "absolute" such that it must be adhered to. My thought is that the info shared here is provided for others to "choose to use it" or "choose to lose it" at their own discretion ... so I never take offense by someone doing something different than what I might offer or advocate ... i.e. more than one (infinite) way to skin this cat.

Also, thanks for your career of service to our country ... career @ U.S. Navy (and New Zealand Navy @ HMNZS Otago circa 1983 ) on this end.

Again, welcome to PC Forum, looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Kent

Jun 29, 2013 at 05:53 PM
eeneryma
• •
p.1 #12 · Charlie

Great job overall, but one aspect that would have brought this to a higher level would have been more attention to hair coiffure. Appearance of hair does not do justice to this beautiful and glamorous model.

Jul 01, 2013 at 02:43 PM
pinball_pw
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Charlie

A lovely photo. The one nit I have is that you smoothed the skin quite a bit except for a portion by the hairline. My eye keeps going there and wandering why it is different. I also agree on the color cast and I am working off a nice calibrated monitor.

Jul 01, 2013 at 02:47 PM
ADCOLE
• •
p.1 #14 · Charlie

eeneryma wrote:
Great job overall, but one aspect that would have brought this to a higher level would have been more attention to hair coiffure. Appearance of hair does not do justice to this beautiful and glamorous model.

I hear you loud and clear! This fine, young lady has a tendency to run her fingers through her hair alot. I am in no way am complaining but its a habit of hers.

Jul 01, 2013 at 07:10 PM
ADCOLE
• •
p.1 #15 · Charlie

pinball_pw wrote:
A lovely photo. The one nit I have is that you smoothed the skin quite a bit except for a portion by the hairline. My eye keeps going there and wandering why it is different. I also agree on the color cast and I am working off a nice calibrated monitor.

I noticed this as well. I am currently using imagenomic portraiture and for the most part the software does a wonderful job. Thanks for the comment.

Jul 01, 2013 at 07:12 PM
Almass
• •
p.1 #16 · Charlie

Portrait retouching is above all subjective and technical.

You have three routes, either how the person looks like, how the person likes to be perceived and how you see the person.
The retouching will have to take all the above into account.

The lady is beautiful, the pose is good, the lighting could be improved and the retouching seems to be quite demanding.

I have posted pic of "some" of the areas to be retouched and I also posted a retouch for "few" areas namely: 1- 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 7 - 12.
The other identified areas need a high res and more time for retouching. All in all with a high res, we are talking at around one hour of retouching....depending where you want to take it and where you want to stop.

Let me know if I should delete the post in case you do not wish to have me tempering with your file.

Jul 02, 2013 at 11:40 AM
ADCOLE
• •
p.1 #17 · Charlie

Almass wrote:
Portrait retouching is above all subjective and technical.

You have three routes, either how the person looks like, how the person likes to be perceived and how you see the person.
The retouching will have to take all the above into account.

The lady is beautiful, the pose is good, the lighting could be improved and the retouching seems to be quite demanding.

I have posted pic of "some" of the areas to be retouched and I also posted a retouch for "few" areas namely: 1- 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 7 - 12.
The other identified areas need a high res
...Show more

Awesome feedback sir! This is what I am looking for. I can and have performed most of what you're suggesting in CS5. The problem is I have to go through additional steps to work in CS5 because I can't afford to upgrade right now. I was hoping to get to a point where I can do all PP in LR. Is that possible?

Jul 02, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Almass
• •
p.1 #18 · Charlie

I am not sure that such PP can be done in LR. I don't use LR and prefer C1.

All the PP on your pic was done with CS4. You do not need to upgrade your CS5. Frankly such work can be done with any PS version.

Jul 02, 2013 at 04:43 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password