Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Blue Silk

Justin Grimm
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Blue Silk

I recently took a trip around the Columbia River Gorge with Mark Metternich. I had a blast and definitely got out of my comfort zone multiple times during the trip, especially for this shot on my last day out there. I have no experience shooting around water, and especially raging rapids, so this was a bit scary for me! Well worth it though and I can't wait to make some huge fine art prints using all the knowledge I absorbed. Thanks for looking and for any c&c!

***Will look way over saturated on an uncalibrated monitor (just tested it myself :S )

Edited on Jun 29, 2013 at 02:04 AM · View previous versions

Jun 29, 2013 at 01:58 AM
kevindar
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Blue Silk

Justin, saw this on my flickr contacts, and made same comment there, so here is cut an paste.
Justin, its a great long exposure. the detail in the rocks is amazing and the contrast between the milky blue water, and the detailed warm rocks works great here.

Jun 29, 2013 at 02:01 AM
harshaj1
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Blue Silk

Excellent image. Love the long exposure.
Harsha

Jun 29, 2013 at 02:35 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Blue Silk

You get an ohhhhhh and ahhhhhhhh from me
The color in the flowing water is quite amazing and unexpected though the contrast from rock and foliage makes for great impact! Rather refreshing

Great image
Karl

Jun 29, 2013 at 02:38 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Blue Silk

Justin,
Beautiful tones!

Jun 29, 2013 at 03:01 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Blue Silk

Hey Justin,

This is really sweet! I really like the vibrant colors and the flow of the water. Which waterfall is this? It's pretty cool and looks quite a bit different with the dual pour off.

Jim

Jun 29, 2013 at 03:32 AM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Blue Silk

kevindar wrote:
Justin, saw this on my flickr contacts, and made same comment there, so here is cut an paste.
Justin, its a great long exposure. the detail in the rocks is amazing and the contrast between the milky blue water, and the detailed warm rocks works great here.

Thanks Kevin, I thought your name looked familiar! Even though I have more people on flickr, this photo is really taking off on my 500px account. My flickr is like a ghost town haha.

Jun 29, 2013 at 05:34 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Blue Silk

Nice shot of spirit

Jun 29, 2013 at 05:47 AM
jforkner
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Blue Silk

I really like the composition and the colors. However, for me, the exposure was a little too long and provides too much contrast between the sharpness of the rocks & trees and the smoothness of the water.

Jack

Jun 29, 2013 at 01:09 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Blue Silk

This is really pretty Justin!

Jun 29, 2013 at 01:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Blue Silk

Karl Witt wrote:
You get an ohhhhhh and ahhhhhhhh from me
The color in the flowing water is quite amazing and unexpected though the contrast from rock and foliage makes for great impact! Rather refreshing

Great image
Karl

jforkner wrote:
I really like the composition and the colors. However, for me, the exposure was a little too long and provides too much contrast between the sharpness of the rocks & trees and the smoothness of the water.

Jack

Thanks to both of you. Funny how opposite some people are when it comes to water texture. Jack, I also experimented with some shutter speeds that really show the power of these rapids, but figured the softer mood would look better on a wall. I'll definitely be editing a couple of the powerful shots though. Thanks!

Edited on Jun 29, 2013 at 02:29 PM · View previous versions

Jun 29, 2013 at 02:23 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Blue Silk

JimFox wrote:
Hey Justin,

This is really sweet! I really like the vibrant colors and the flow of the water. Which waterfall is this? It's pretty cool and looks quite a bit different with the dual pour off.

Jim

Thanks Jim. This is Spirit Falls on the north side of the Columbia River Gorge. It is relatively easy to get to, except for a long steep climb on the way back to the car, and the last bit of slippery boulder navigating on the edge of the river.

Jun 29, 2013 at 02:26 PM
Bjadelberg
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Blue Silk

I have to agree with jack on this. Great shot of Spirit Falls, but I to would have like to have see some texture in the water maybe 1/2 sec exposure would have worked, giving it lines to direct your eye to the falls. Anyway I'm sure you've got some shots with texture no big deal. Colors look great! Great job Justin!

Jun 29, 2013 at 02:59 PM
Dirtyharry71
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Blue Silk

cooooool

Jun 29, 2013 at 04:50 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Blue Silk

Bjadelberg wrote:
I have to agree with jack on this. Great shot of Spirit Falls, but I to would have like to have see some texture in the water maybe 1/2 sec exposure would have worked, giving it lines to direct your eye to the falls. Anyway I'm sure you've got some shots with texture no big deal. Colors look great! Great job Justin!

Thanks for the compliment Brian. I worked on a shot with more texture today but unfortunately after looking on my computer I didn't hit the sweet spot for the best movement action. Why didnt you tell me 1/2 sec shutter sooner! I'll post it sometime next week when I have time to finish it anyways.

Jun 30, 2013 at 02:46 AM
ScottHM
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Blue Silk

Looks like you got it pretty nicely...I'm always worried about over-saturating scenes like these with long exposures. You'll get used to working around the rapids.

Jun 30, 2013 at 05:44 AM
Bryan Mordt
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Blue Silk

Very nice Justin, this is a great image! I also appreciate the tasteful watermarks.

Jun 30, 2013 at 08:06 AM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Blue Silk

Very nice - love it as posted!!

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:06 AM
CDalessandro
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Blue Silk

Beautifully captured!

Jun 30, 2013 at 01:30 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Blue Silk

after looking at this one my computer (rather than my Galaxy), I do rather like this shot. Silky water I think adds to the mood on this. I was just back there a few weeks back, for like the 8th time as a buddy of mine wanted me to take him there.

Jun 30, 2013 at 04:41 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password