Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Should the chain go?

Bob Jarman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Should the chain go?

Grab of colleague & granddaughter - C&C welcome but is the chain a distraction?

Thanks,

Bob

NIKON D7100    85.0 mm f/1.8 lens    85mm    f/4.5    1/160s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jun 29, 2013 at 01:03 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Should the chain go?

It leads the eye out of the frame. Had it been cropped lower and showed a pendant, the pendant could have visually stopped the eye.

Jun 29, 2013 at 02:11 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Should the chain go?

Recorded moment ... nah, leave it in even if it doesn't conform to "ideal" elements of composition.

It's really pretty miniscule and while it does lead down from the grandmother's face, the granddaughter's face is of sufficient tonal value to pull us back up. The weight/mass of the chain is pretty insignificant and the granddaughter's face easily outweighs it. Technically the lines do pull us down, but the weight is too little to do any real damage.

If I were going to do anything with it ... maybe reduce it's tonal value a smidgeon (or not).

A little burn to pull down the tonal value on the necklace, a little USM @ the faces, a little contrast reduction (faces partial masked). Just some push toward the faces, pull away from the chain. Nothing too drastic (I hope), but a slight/subtle shift away from the chain toward the faces maybe.

Personally, without the title, I'm not sure I'd have really noticed much about it ... other than it reminds me of something my own grandmother would have worn.

Edited on Jun 29, 2013 at 12:26 PM · View previous versions

Jun 29, 2013 at 02:48 AM
eeneryma
• •
p.1 #4 · Should the chain go?

Black bar running above grandmother's head is slight distraction. Might want to clone this out. Otherwise good job.

Jun 29, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Should the chain go?

AuntiPode wrote:
It leads the eye out of the frame. Had it been cropped lower and showed a pendant, the pendant could have visually stopped the eye.

Thanks Karen,

Only problem, the pendant is behind the glass she's holding in her left hand

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Should the chain go?

RustyBug wrote:
Recorded moment ... nah, leave it in even if it doesn't conform to "ideal" elements of composition.

It's really pretty miniscule and while it does lead down from the grandmother's face, the granddaughter's face is of sufficient tonal value to pull us back up. The weight/mass of the chain is pretty insignificant and the granddaughter's face easily outweighs it. Technically the lines do pull us down, but the weight is too little to do any real damage.

If I were going to do anything with it ... maybe reduce it's tonal value a smidgeon (or not).

A little burn to pull down the
...Show more

Thanks Kent,

The reality is neither she nor anyone else, other than those of us who are anal about this type of thing, would notice. I think it works pretty well as is.

Regards,

Bob

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Should the chain go?

eeneryma wrote:
Black bar running above grandmother's head is slight distraction. Might want to clone this out. Otherwise good job.

Thank you for looking and your thoughts - the darker area is a 'step back' in the wall. I saw it but obviously let it go. Might try to see if I can cleanly remove it, as a challenge if for no other reason. 'Cleanly' is the issue here.

Glad you like the image,

regards,

Bob

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:36 AM
pinball_pw
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Should the chain go?

I would leave it as is. It is a nice candid photo of the two, doesn't have to be technically perfect.

Jul 01, 2013 at 02:44 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Should the chain go?

pinball_pw wrote:
I would leave it as is. It is a nice candid photo of the two, doesn't have to be technically perfect.

Thank you for your thoughts and comment - I agree.

Bob

Jul 01, 2013 at 06:50 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password