Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

13 inch 2013 Macbook Air vs 13 inch Macbook Pro for Light...

motorsjuk

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 13 inch 2013 Macbook Air vs 13 inch Macbook Pro for Lightroom

I am hoping for some advice on what new laptop to buy.

I currently have a 15 inch 2009 Macbook Pro. I don't use it much any longer - the wife mostly uses it now, but I use it for some basic Lightroom work while travelling.
We're planning to buy a new one, but I can decide whether to buy the new macbook air or go for a macbook pro 13 inch. As far as I can see there isn't much difference with regards to the price between an i7 8gb ram mba and and a 13 inch retina mbp.
The resolution of the rMBP is tempting, but it will be about $150 more expensive and it won't have as good battery time as the MBA.
I guess what I am really asking are these two questions - performance wise (apart from battery time) will there be much difference between the 2009 MBP and the 2013 MBA, and will the more powerful CPU of the rMPB make much difference with Lightroom compared to the MBA? Both will have SSD and 8gb Ram

I am aware that the 13 inch monitor probably is too small for any serious work, on both the MBA and the rMBP, but I will only be using it for a couple weeks every year, so it's mostly just a backup for me.

Jun 29, 2013 at 12:54 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · 13 inch 2013 Macbook Air vs 13 inch Macbook Pro for Lightroom

I recently went through this decision when picking a work laptop. The Air is a pound lighter, has longer battery life, and is slightly less expensive. The Retina Pro has a faster processor, 2 Thunderbolt ports, and a higher res screen. They're both great machines. I went with the Pro.

Jul 01, 2013 at 02:56 PM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · 13 inch 2013 Macbook Air vs 13 inch Macbook Pro for Lightroom

I went the other way and got the new MBA w/ everything upgraded. I valued the lighter weight more (not to mention many hundred $$ less) for the limited amount of field editing.

Jul 01, 2013 at 03:37 PM
motorsjuk

p.1 #4 · 13 inch 2013 Macbook Air vs 13 inch Macbook Pro for Lightroom

Sorry for my late response - I've been away. Thanks for the feedback! Looks like it will be the retina Pro - the wife wanted that one, and that's in the end what matters
Thanks!

Jul 05, 2013 at 06:55 AM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #5 · 13 inch 2013 Macbook Air vs 13 inch Macbook Pro for Lightroom

I recently upgraded to the RMBPro 13". Wanted something light and fast. For real power then the 15" would be better. Comparing the different screens the Retina is superb. I made one upgrade and that was the SSD to 256gb. From cold it boots up to the desktop in 6 seconds and that is with the full creative suite loaded. Launch either photoshop or final cut pro in 5 seconds. Battery lasts for 7 hours.

I have a mac pro for my main machine but this is great for doing off site work. If it is your only machine then you might want to go for the 15" and max out the ram.

Jul 05, 2013 at 11:05 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password