Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Cheetah CL-180 bare-bulb flash

aboudd
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Cheetah CL-180 bare-bulb flash

I just bought this flash about a week ago. It is very impressive. The Cheetah CL-180 is a very high quality, beautifully finished, manual bare-bulb flash that is powered by a lithium battery pack. The unit has wireless capability with power output controlled from the camera. It can also be used on camera in a hot shoe. This model puts out 152 watt seconds and is variable from full to 1/128th power.

I did a full review of the flash on my blog. Go to http://foto-gizmo.blogspot.com/2013/06/this-cheetah-runs-bare-bulb-photography.html if you are interested in learning more.

©Photo by Aboud Dweck, All Rights Reserved

Jun 28, 2013 at 04:54 PM
Ho1972
• • •
p.1 #2 · Cheetah CL-180 bare-bulb flash

It's a nice product and the newer one, the 360, is even more powerful. Now if they only cost about half as much...

Jun 28, 2013 at 08:34 PM
aboudd
• • •
p.1 #3 · Cheetah CL-180 bare-bulb flash

True, they are not inexpensive, but if you add up the cost of the top of the line Canon or Nikon flashes, add a lithium battery pack and wireless capabilities, the Cheetah is actually cheaper. However, you do forego the TTL factor.

Jun 29, 2013 at 10:37 AM
hkula

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Cheetah CL-180 bare-bulb flash

Purchased the CL-180 about 1 month ago. Great Product and Good value.
Solid - very well built and performs as advertised and reviewed.
Considering purchasing another CL-180 or CL-360?

Jun 29, 2013 at 09:00 PM
Batty_F

p.1 #5 · Cheetah CL-180 bare-bulb flash

Nicely done review, appreciate the effort. From looking at the Cheetah light on a stand attached to a battery, I'm wondering exactly what is the advantage over a well-supported studio strobe like the Einstein? If you're willing to give up TTL and AA battery convenience, why not go all the way to the Einstein and get two more stops of power plus very deep support?

Jun 30, 2013 at 09:26 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Cheetah CL-180 bare-bulb flash

Batty_F wrote:
...From looking at the Cheetah light on a stand attached to a battery, I'm wondering exactly what is the advantage over a well-supported studio strobe like the Einstein?

Flexibility.

You can use a Cheetah Light on a stand, on a flash bracket, or in the camera's hot shoe; the Enstein isn't well suited for the latter two.

Ideally, of course, one would have both; but that's not within everyone's budget.

Jul 01, 2013 at 12:19 AM
a2rob
• • •
p.1 #7 · Cheetah CL-180 bare-bulb flash

Love these lights I have an 180 and 360. The power and portability and the fact that they are manual was a deciding factor for me.

this was soc, Nikon D800, iso 400, 60" shoot through bare bulb,
PW TT1 and CL remote on camera
flash and TT5 on a stand directly behind me high@45 degrees.

Jul 01, 2013 at 01:51 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Cheetah CL-180 bare-bulb flash

Does anyone know the t.1 times for these? David Hobby made made a comment recently saying he wouldn't consider them because the long t.1 time meant even at 1/250 some of the flash was getting clipped. This seems to be a fate of many of the more powerful chinese flashes.

Jul 01, 2013 at 11:54 AM
aboudd
• • •
p.1 #9 · Cheetah CL-180 bare-bulb flash

Batty_F wrote:
Nicely done review, appreciate the effort. From looking at the Cheetah light on a stand attached to a battery, I'm wondering exactly what is the advantage over a well-supported studio strobe like the Einstein? If you're willing to give up TTL and AA battery convenience, why not go all the way to the Einstein and get two more stops of power plus very deep support?

Thank you for your comment. I only review gear I buy for my use and pay for out of pocket. I do not get anything supplied to me for testing and I am unbiased in my appraisals. I do however, love this flash, and I have given it the highest rating of any item I have tested to date, so yes, I am now a fan of Cheetah.

I am not familiar with or have ever used the Einstein, my field strobe is the Profoto Acute B600. The Cheetahs are not a replacement for high power strobes, yet they are flexible, small and useful in a variety of situations as you can see from the photo posted in this thread.

I use the Cheetah with my studio Profoto kit. I get a self powered third head for my kit at a cost less than a D4 head alone. As it is a lot smaller than a Profoto head as a bare bulb, I can get it closer to parts of a set and dial back the power to as low as 128th power. Like I said, flexible.

Cheetah offers a plethora of light modifiers. I'm awaiting arrival of the 19" beauty dish octabox. It will be interesting to compare it to the Wescott Rapid Box Octa (26") that I reviewed on my blog earlier. I'll post that review in a few weeks.

I am not sure what you mean by deep support, if you are referring to customer service, Ed at Cheetah is among the best.

Profoto soft box, no fill

Profoto soft box main, Cheetah bare bulb fill

Edited on Jul 01, 2013 at 09:52 PM · View previous versions

Jul 01, 2013 at 12:29 PM
a2rob
• • •
p.1 #10 · Cheetah CL-180 bare-bulb flash

Mark_L wrote:
Does anyone know the t.1 times for these? David Hobby made made a comment recently saying he wouldn't consider them because the long t.1 time meant even at 1/250 some of the flash was getting clipped. This seems to be a fate of many of the more powerful chinese flashes.

Who is David Hobby?

Jul 01, 2013 at 01:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sinbad747
• • •
p.1 #11 · Cheetah CL-180 bare-bulb flash

He is the owner of the popular Strobist blog! I works a LOT with OCF especially outdoors.

Jul 01, 2013 at 02:00 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Cheetah CL-180 bare-bulb flash

Found where I read it,
In the comments http://strobist.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/quick-hands-on-100-polaroid-pl135-bare.html

The Cheetah is a rebrand of the Godox, (the original manufacturer). They secured the rights to sell it exclusively in the US, and got to rebrand it.

As I said above, I think for the money you can buy a much more powerful and versatile flash. The warranty situation is a little unclear, but Cheetah is said to be standing behind it. (I prefer a factory warranty, FWIW.)

In addition to the price (Einsteins kill it for not much more $$) the t.1 times at full power are such to where you cannot contain the pulse in a 250th of a sec. Most
...Show more

Jul 01, 2013 at 04:31 PM
Batty_F

p.1 #13 · Cheetah CL-180 bare-bulb flash

@aboudd Interesting, thanks. By deep support I meant not only the manufacturer's ongoing backing of the product, but also the Einstein is popular enough for quite a few third parties to make accessories for it, like mounting rings, etc. I believe the 19-inch octabox you mentioned is custom designed just for the Cheetah light since it's kind of its own thing and not yet widely known enough to have third-party support.

Jul 01, 2013 at 08:43 PM
a2rob
• • •
p.1 #14 · Cheetah CL-180 bare-bulb flash

Mark_L wrote:
Found where I read it,
In the comments http://strobist.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/quick-hands-on-100-polaroid-pl135-bare.html

Oh well, Just his HO and actually you can push against sun at full power!
I tried the Einstein and MC2 thingy before too bulky for me to carry around. I have a set of profoto D1 500's also, I may sell and get two more CL-360's!

Jul 01, 2013 at 10:20 PM
aboudd
• • •
p.1 #15 · Cheetah CL-180 bare-bulb flash

I'm with you. I have one CL-360 on order. With that, the CL-180 aI can cover almost everything I need to in a small lightweight package. If I need a little more push, I'll bring my Profoto Acute 600B with me. Actually, I cannot remember the last time I used it.

I'm heading out to Park City Utah on Wednesday for the holiday. I'm taking my Canon kit and the CL-180. I'm going to challenge the sun with it! ;-)

Edited on Jul 02, 2013 at 11:38 AM · View previous versions

Jul 01, 2013 at 11:14 PM
a2rob
• • •
p.1 #16 · Cheetah CL-180 bare-bulb flash

I'm with you. I have one CL-360 on order. With that, the CL-180 aI can cover almost everything I need to in a small lightweight package. If I need a little more push, I'll bring my Profoto Acute 600B with me. Actually, I cannot remember the last time I used it.

I'm heading out to Park City Utah on Wednesday for the holiday. I'm taking my Canon kit and the CL-180. I'm going to challenge the sun with it! ;-)

Did you purchase the CellsII for HSS? I never do HSS so its not a big deal for me as other have indicated.

Jul 02, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Cheetah CL-180 bare-bulb flash

a2rob wrote:
Love these lights I have an 180 and 360. The power and portability and the fact that they are manual was a deciding factor for me.

this was soc, Nikon D800, iso 400, 60" shoot through bare bulb,
PW TT1 and CL remote on camera
flash and TT5 on a stand directly behind me high@45 degrees.

I'm easily confused and a lighting newb. You're triggering the CL-180 fitted with the CL remote using a PW on camera? Didn't realize that PWs will trigger the CL remotes ...

Jul 02, 2013 at 10:57 PM
aboudd
• • •
p.1 #18 · Cheetah CL-180 bare-bulb flash

I'm not sure what Rob is using. I am using the CL-180 with the Cheetah transmitter on the camera and the receiver on the flash itself.

Jul 02, 2013 at 11:24 PM
a2rob
• • •
p.1 #19 · Cheetah CL-180 bare-bulb flash

Mike Tuomey wrote:
I'm easily confused and a lighting newb. You're triggering the CL-180 fitted with the CL remote using a PW on camera? Didn't realize that PWs will trigger the CL remotes ...

I am triggering the CL-360 with the PW flex system.
The TT1 is mounted on camera as with the CL remote on top of it.
The flash is mounted on the TT5 on stand. I have a pc cord connecting these two.

I use the L-358 with the wireless module installed to trigger and get an accurate reading.

iPad mini    1mm    f/1.1    1/13s    320 ISO  

Jul 03, 2013 at 03:26 AM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Cheetah CL-180 bare-bulb flash

Thanks, Rob! Much clearer now - nice solution to enable flash metering. Pics much appreciated also!

Jul 03, 2013 at 02:56 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password