Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Owner of a brand new D800E + Sigma 35 1.4 combo !!

DaveyBlues

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Owner of a brand new D800E + Sigma 35 1.4 combo !!

Sigma 35 1.4

Jun 27, 2013 at 08:41 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Owner of a brand new D800E + Sigma 35 1.4 combo !!

Congrats on the new equipment. Very nice picture.

Grant

Jun 27, 2013 at 08:49 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Owner of a brand new D800E + Sigma 35 1.4 combo !!

Double post in this forum, another post in landscape...
We get the picture!
Really messes with my head after a few drinks...

Congratulations anyway.

Jun 27, 2013 at 09:02 PM
Fingerstyle78
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Owner of a brand new D800E + Sigma 35 1.4 combo !!

Nice! I've been wanting a D800E for a while now. Settled for the D600 for now.

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Ghostinz
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Owner of a brand new D800E + Sigma 35 1.4 combo !!

amazing shot.... obviously from a tripod, but why did you adjust the EV? Just curious. I have been shooting RAW, so I never mess with the EV. Maybe someone can educate me on that.

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:53 PM
rd4tile
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Owner of a brand new D800E + Sigma 35 1.4 combo !!

Ghostinz wrote:
amazing shot.... obviously from a tripod, but why did you adjust the EV? Just curious. I have been shooting RAW, so I never mess with the EV. Maybe someone can educate me on that.

Good question, I usually underexpose my Nikon bodies a 1/3 to 2/3 stop and then pull up the darker areas if needed. I shoot RAW as well. Nice shot regardless!

Jun 28, 2013 at 08:06 AM
DaveyBlues

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Owner of a brand new D800E + Sigma 35 1.4 combo !!

Hey guys.
Thanks for the kind words.
Regarding the EV setting, my bad, i left it there from at home, a pre camera fiddle with the settings ( only had it a week). and i forgot.
big step up from my old D300.

cheers. Davey

Jun 28, 2013 at 08:11 AM
JustinPoe
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Owner of a brand new D800E + Sigma 35 1.4 combo !!

Ghostinz wrote:

I mess with EV all the time. I always shoot in aperture priority and let the camera decide what shutter speed is best to expose the scene correctly and it usually does a really good job. However, every once in a while, in a challenging scene, the camera didn't quite meter how I wanted it and I'll adjust the EV +/- to get what I want. In a way, it's like shooting manual and I've substituted the shutter button for the EV button.

You can push and pull the RAW file all you want and just about never see any image degradation (especially with the D800E) With how good cameras are today, you could probably get the shot within 2 stops over/under exposed and never tell a difference after making adjustments to the RAW file as opposed to getting it correct SOOC. However, I feel like it is good practice to always get the shot as close to properly exposed SOOC, which is why I will fine tune the exposure settings.

Back to EV though, it's just a different way to get a desired exposure setting. Completely personal preference.

Jun 28, 2013 at 08:42 AM
jasoncallen
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Owner of a brand new D800E + Sigma 35 1.4 combo !!

Great shot, and congrats on the lens. I just ordered one for use on my D700, and can't wait to get it!

Jun 28, 2013 at 01:00 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Owner of a brand new D800E + Sigma 35 1.4 combo !!

Could be one if the best combos going mate. Congrats

Jun 28, 2013 at 01:12 PM
bemyzeke
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Owner of a brand new D800E + Sigma 35 1.4 combo !!

For the camera+lens combo, the picture is not sharp at all. Look at the water

Jun 30, 2013 at 01:02 AM
Chestnut
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Owner of a brand new D800E + Sigma 35 1.4 combo !!

JustinPoe wrote:
I mess with EV all the time. I always shoot in aperture priority and let the camera decide what shutter speed is best to expose the scene correctly and it usually does a really good job. However, every once in a while, in a challenging scene, the camera didn't quite meter how I wanted it and I'll adjust the EV +/- to get what I want. In a way, it's like shooting manual and I've substituted the shutter button for the EV button.

You can push and pull the RAW file all you want and just about never see any image
...Show more

+1

You can always "Fix" something... but why not just get it right the first time?

Jun 30, 2013 at 08:25 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Owner of a brand new D800E + Sigma 35 1.4 combo !!

Ghostinz wrote:

The amount of high exposure headroom that you can get from a raw file varies with your in-camera (jpg) settings for contrast (especially), saturation, WB, picture style, etc. You could have very little headroom compared to what the histogram shows you on the camera and you could easily lose some highlights. It is rare I think to have much more than one stop of headroom for highlights. Furthermore, some colours will suffer because they don't contribute much to luminance and the metering system may let them overexpose in a way that cannot be recovered. Reducing the exposure at capture time allows more of those sunset reds and oranges and yellows to be recovered but will darken the shadows.

However, the D800 in particular has abundant dynamic range at low ISO that allows us to pull clean and well exposed details from what initially looks like blackness. A 5-stop boost is quite feasible in the shadows. More than that gets noisy but it still an incredible feat when combined with 36Mpx resolution..

Put these two thoughts together and you are better off slightly underexposing a raw capture at low ISO to save both highlight and shadow details. Obviously, the metering pattern will have an impact too so like all "rules" it can still come unstuck. In general, though, you can get a lot of clean DR to fit comfortable in a jpg after a bit of raw file tweaking.

Our eyes and brain can see much of the shadow detail and much of the highlight detail in a scene but not all at the same time. Squeezing that extra DR into a jpg simulates what we are able to see even though it is not entirely natural as an overall view.

Once you get above about 200-400 ISO even the D800 loses enough DR that the ISO 100 detail recovery miracles cannot be done so cleanly. Then we have to pay more attention to what matters most in a scene and set the correct exposure at capture time.

- Alan

Jul 04, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Owner of a brand new D800E + Sigma 35 1.4 combo !!

DaveyBlues wrote:
Hey guys.
Thanks for the kind words.
Regarding the EV setting, my bad, i left it there from at home, a pre camera fiddle with the settings ( only had it a week). and i forgot.
big step up from my old D300.

cheers. Davey

I'm guessing that 0ev or -1ev would have provided much richer colours in the sky, and because you were using ISO 100 you would still have been able to recover all the details you needed in the rocks and so on. Get used to being able to salvage shadow details more easily than highlights with the D800 at low ISO.

- Alan

Jul 04, 2013 at 12:30 PM
tzic
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Owner of a brand new D800E + Sigma 35 1.4 combo !!

Alan321 wrote:
However, the D800 in particular has abundant dynamic range at low ISO that allows us to pull clean and well exposed details from what initially looks like blackness. A 5-stop boost is quite feasible in the shadows. More than that gets noisy but it still an incredible feat when combined with 36Mpx resolution..

Put these two thoughts together and you are better off slightly underexposing a raw capture at low ISO to save both highlight and shadow details.

Once you get above about 200-400 ISO even the D800 loses enough DR that the ISO 100 detail recovery miracles cannot be
...Show more

Hello Alan can someone achieve the same results with a D600? How does D600 compare to D800 regarding dynamic range? Thank you for the detailed technique described in your post.

Jul 12, 2013 at 06:19 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Owner of a brand new D800E + Sigma 35 1.4 combo !!

According to DxOMark the D600 and D800 have much the same DR characteristics and I presume therefore that you use the D600 the same way as the D800.

Here's a link to DxO...
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/%28appareil1%29/834|0/%28brand%29/Nikon/%28appareil2%29/792|0/%28brand2%29/Nikon/%28appareil3%29/628|0/%28brand3%29/Nikon

You might have to click on the "Measurements" tab and then the "Dynamic Range" tab to get to the relevant chart.

- Alan

Jul 24, 2013 at 01:40 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.