Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · WTK: Best Aftermarket Nikon EN-EL15 Battery

ultravista
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · WTK: Best Aftermarket Nikon EN-EL15 Battery

I am looking for feedback on replacement batteries for the D600.

For those with non-Nikon batteries, which do you prefer? There are quite a few name brand (e.g. Power2000, DSTE, Wasabi, etc.).

Jun 28, 2013 at 01:38 AM
mrgetalife
• •
p.1 #2 · WTK: Best Aftermarket Nikon EN-EL15 Battery

Here's how I look at it. Does the manufacturer have a US support address? (Or whatever country you are in)

If yes then they'll probably work because they spent a few more cents to source a decent battery manufactuer. Here's the problem with 3rd party batteries that typically cost less than Nikon 1st party. Its after a year of use. Do they hold up the charge? I have a Lenmar EN-EL3 unit which works fine when charged I can get a full use out of it. However it won't hold a charge after weeks of non-use anymore. And that's due to age.

So if you are going to actively use them. It really won't matter. I use the Pearstone one from the B&H bundle and it works fine. For now at least.

Jun 28, 2013 at 02:50 AM
jasoncallen
• • • •
p.1 #3 · WTK: Best Aftermarket Nikon EN-EL15 Battery

The only 3rd party battery manufacturers that I trust based on usage history are IDX, Pearstone, Anton Bauer, and Varizoom. Of those, I think only Pearstone makes batteries for Nikon (the rest are primarily video equipment battery producers).

That said, what you will save between a 3rd party and an OEM Nikon battery is likely a trivial amount ($15-20?), and if the battery fries your D600, you're completely SOL with 3rd party, whereas a Nikon battery will keep you in warranty...

Just my $0.02, and many on the board agree with me here: Don't buy a $2000+ camera body and put a questionable power source in it. Your benefits are slim, and your risks are many.

Jun 28, 2013 at 01:29 PM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #4 · WTK: Best Aftermarket Nikon EN-EL15 Battery

Power2000 and wasabi?

this has to be a joke.

Jun 28, 2013 at 02:26 PM
blob loblaw
• •
p.1 #5 · WTK: Best Aftermarket Nikon EN-EL15 Battery

my usage is heavy on the LiveView using the D800.

I have one of each power2000, wasabi and nikon OEM.

The power2000 consistently gives me longer usage out of the camera. I have not measured it, but with the OEM I have to change it out within 2hrs. The Power2k or wasabi that I put in afterwards carry it for the remainder of the shoot, another 2-3hrs without needing to replace.

Yes, I use a lot of LiveView and tethering.

One thing to note the power2000 that I have is not for sale any more where I got it and it's rated at 2200mAh as opposed to OEM 1900

Jun 28, 2013 at 06:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DaveOls
• • •
p.1 #6 · WTK: Best Aftermarket Nikon EN-EL15 Battery

You spend $ 2000+ on a camera and you want to save $ 20 on a third party battery. Li-Ion batteries are known to catch on fire and explode. You don't think Nikon will fix or repair your D 600 if this happens with a non-original battery?
Buy cheap memory cards, not cheap batteries.

Jun 28, 2013 at 07:06 PM
liliona

p.1 #7 · WTK: Best Aftermarket Nikon EN-EL15 Battery

I use only OEM batteries in my D4 and D700. Recently got V1 at closeout in February. EN-EL15 battery went from age zero to end of life warning in three charges. When I notified Nikon I got the expected "we offer absolutely no warranty on batteries" response. The surprise in their response was a link for replacement batteries, not to the Nikon store, but to Amazon with links for both the Nikon OEM EN-EL15 and the Wasabi EN-EL15 generic with a three year warranty for less than half the price. For a throw away like the V1 it may be worth the potential risk as a life span of 4-5 months for a $60 original is not acceptable.

Aug 01, 2013 at 11:25 PM
RKH
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · WTK: Best Aftermarket Nikon EN-EL15 Battery

I have a D700 and a D300 so use en-el3e. I have six of the OEM and 2 of an aftermarket which I don't use because, even though newer than the OEM, they won't hold a charge.
EDIT: They are Opteka. Don't know why I haven't thrown them out yet, cause I will never use them.

Aug 02, 2013 at 04:46 AM
bridger1215
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · WTK: Best Aftermarket Nikon EN-EL15 Battery

I use wasabi as backups for my Gopro, Panasonic video cam, D600 and D7100. Haven't had a problem yet and have lots of extra chargers. 2 EN-EL15 batteries and a charger for $53 is a great deal.

Aug 02, 2013 at 05:08 AM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #10 · WTK: Best Aftermarket Nikon EN-EL15 Battery

I like the batteries from the prison factories over the grade schools. Kids are clumbsy and not good for precision assembly work. They have soft skin that burns easier too.

Aug 02, 2013 at 03:30 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password