Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · What Nikon body on Nikon super tele lenses????

allstarimaging
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What Nikon body on Nikon super tele lenses????

If you were going to have one body mounted on a Nikon 400, 500, or 600 mm lens which Nikon body would you select and why? Use of lens is for wildlife and wildlife environmental scenics. Seems like it should be an easy answer but you could go with:

1) D800- Great resolution, full frame, and cropability. But files are huge, not a pro body with built in vertical grip and not as fast as D3/D4.

2) D4/D3s- Pro body, speed, built in grip and full frame. Not as much resolution as the D800 for cropping but easier files to work with and killer high ISO.

4) D7000- Crop sensor for extra reach, workable file size, but not full frame, high ISO not as good, and not a pro body.

5) D3x- Pro body, full frame, good file size for cropping and not as huge as D800, not as fast as D3/D4 frame rate not as good on the high ISO.

I've been fortunate or maybe dumb enough to own them all (except D4) and can't seem to nail it down. Thinking of getting back into shooting after selling most of my stuff off and just can't seem to make up my mind. Leaning towards a nice used D3s.

Jack

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:16 PM
MikeW
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What Nikon body on Nikon super tele lenses????

well you have tried them all cept the D4, so easy choice. D4 does it all guaranteed.

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:05 PM
DontShoot
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What Nikon body on Nikon super tele lenses????

D4. After shooting it you'll start to appreciate the small things it offers over the other bodies (backlit buttons, better ergonomics, remembers AF point position when changing orientations, better LCD, better and faster AF, great DR, additional joysticks, among many others)

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What Nikon body on Nikon super tele lenses????

D4 - I have 2 D800 bodies and a D4 - While the D800 can do the job, it runs out of buffer real quick, has way less FPS, the AF doesn't seem nearly as aggressive or accurate in fast moving conditions, and the D4 just handles fast action better. It was built for it.

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:41 PM
VinnieJ
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What Nikon body on Nikon super tele lenses????

Seems like the D700 and D7100 should be on that list as well.

D4+500mm+TC's when needed. The 500 is probably the easiest to hand hold when the situation calls for it.

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What Nikon body on Nikon super tele lenses????

I do not own a D4 but I do use a D800 w/500mm and it does a great job for wildlife. I suppose the D4 would be better but you are paying a lot more for it. So, if money isn't an issue get a D4.

I liked using the D3s for BIF but for wildlife I prefer a larger sensor for cropping.

Seems like you have a good problem.

Grant

Jun 28, 2013 at 02:18 AM
Two23
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What Nikon body on Nikon super tele lenses????

D4, D3s, D7100 in that order for wildlife.

Kent in SD

Edited on Jun 28, 2013 at 03:11 AM · View previous versions

Jun 28, 2013 at 03:10 AM
Frogfish
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What Nikon body on Nikon super tele lenses????

As others have mentioned you don't have a level playing field here. It's a bit liking putting a Ford up against a Maserati (7000 vs D4) and throwing in a Bentley (D800) though I think that would be a Bentley Continental GT

I use the D800 for birds and last month strongly considered changing up my backup D600 for a D4/D3s. In the end I didn't because of the relative lack of crop-ability of the files from the D4/D3s. It's fine if you are shooting large birds or can get close to small birds (within 5-10m) but those conditions rarely apply to me (open land and reedbeds) and the amazing ability to crop deep into those large D800 files gives me many shots that otherwise would be impossible. The fps I can get by with and the buffer is irrelevant as I've only once ever filled it.

So I think I agree with Grantland above - though this is really a horses for courses question as in some locations and with some birds a D4 may be best and in others a D800.

Jun 28, 2013 at 03:11 AM
Chris Dees
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What Nikon body on Nikon super tele lenses????

D7100 or D800 for status wildlife on a distance.
D4/D3s for BIF

I have high hopes for the D400 as the D4 is too expensive for me.

Jun 28, 2013 at 08:07 AM
TimMunsey
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What Nikon body on Nikon super tele lenses????

If you can afford a D4, then buy a D800 and a D3s, covers all options. I have come to appreciate the D800 1.2x crop mode, gives you 5FPS and that extra reach letting you keep the lens wide open as you can skip a teleconverter.
The D3s comes out the bag when the action is fast and furious, only then.

Jun 28, 2013 at 09:12 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

the solitaire
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What Nikon body on Nikon super tele lenses????

If you can afford either of those lenses purchasing an additional D3 (not S or X) should make the most sense.

Files are usable while still relatively small compared to some of the other options you listed.

Frame rate is not going to be a problem, neither is ISO. I consider both useful for wildlife.

No confusing video mode or video mode related buttons.

Personally, from the lenses listed, I´d go for the 400mm f2,8 but that´s personal taste rather really.

Jun 28, 2013 at 09:24 AM
Creative Edge
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What Nikon body on Nikon super tele lenses????

Jack,
I have been using the D800 with the 400 2.8 and tc's and love it. I also use the D7100 on occassion but prefer the D800 for it's IQ.

Here is a link to my last trip to Yellowstone, all wildlife shots were done with the D800 and 400 2.8 along with various tc's.

http://www.michaelfullana.com/Wyoming/index.htm

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Frogfish
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What Nikon body on Nikon super tele lenses????

Creative Edge wrote:
Jack,
I have been using the D800 with the 400 2.8 and tc's and love it. I also use the D7100 on occassion but prefer the D800 for it's IQ.

Here is a link to my last trip to Yellowstone, all wildlife shots were done with the D800 and 400 2.8 along with various tc's.

Some simply superb shots in there Michael - esp. the Wolves and the Bobcat (?) !

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Christian H
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What Nikon body on Nikon super tele lenses????

If you're not into spray & pray and prefer a more deliberate shooting style, then the D7100 or D800 will get the job done. I own both and don't much care which one I happen to be holding in my hands at the time. The D800 is better above ISO 800. Whether it's worth twice as much money is somewhat subjective, though it's still fairly cheap in the greater scheme of things. The D800 gives you a little more flexibility, but at normal ISOs the files from both are very good (blown highlights are history, miraculous shadow detail, lovely color rendition in 14-bit RAW, etc.)

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:46 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What Nikon body on Nikon super tele lenses????

Christian H wrote:
If you're not into spray & pray

But, if you are
The D4 is not only very fast, it is very accurate if set up properly.
All you have to do is set it for continuous focus,
first press the AF-ON button then the shutter release.

You will be amazed how many "keepers" you get.!

Jun 28, 2013 at 01:26 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What Nikon body on Nikon super tele lenses????

Creative Edge wrote:
Jack,

I try to get to Yellowstone/Tetons at least once a year and you captured some really great pics.

No doubt the D800 w/400 f/2.8 is a great combo if you are not hiking.

I like this one

http://www.michaelfullana.com/Wyoming/bearattack.htm

Edited on Jun 28, 2013 at 01:35 PM · View previous versions

Jun 28, 2013 at 01:34 PM
dale keith

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What Nikon body on Nikon super tele lenses????

Jack, there is a significant dollar range in the bodies you have mentioned. If you have owned all but the D4, you should be able to answer you own question. Personally, I like big files so the D800 is my camera of choice. I have never tried a D4 and perhaps someday I will have the opportunity. I may just wait for the next iteration of the D4. Nikon seems to like bringing out an "s" or "x" version of their pro model.
Good luck in choosing.

Jun 28, 2013 at 01:34 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What Nikon body on Nikon super tele lenses????

dale keith wrote:
I may just wait for the next iteration of the D4. Nikon seems to like bringing out an "s" or "x" version of their pro model.
Good luck in choosing.

Perhaps this fall, Nikon might come out with a D4s or x and a D400?
But I hope not, NAS has a nasty habit of biting my arse in the wallet area.

Jun 28, 2013 at 01:53 PM
allstarimaging
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What Nikon body on Nikon super tele lenses????

I was expecting more votes for the DX body D7000 due to the "you can never have to much reach" mentality. For the dollars maybe a D800 with a D7000 backup is the way to go. I'm usually not into ripping off 9 FPS even when I shot a lot of pro sports. I tend to be more deliberate and I really try not to take a ton of shots when I shoot.
Jack

Jun 28, 2013 at 02:05 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What Nikon body on Nikon super tele lenses????

allstarimaging wrote:
I was expecting more votes for the DX body D7000 due to the "you can never have to much reach" mentality. For the dollars maybe a D800 with a D7000 backup is the way to go. I'm usually not into ripping off 9 FPS even when I shot a lot of pro sports. I tend to be more deliberate and I really try not to take a ton of shots when I shoot.
Jack

I have never owned a D7xx series body but with a D800 you get the "reach" you mention in 1.5x mode. You also get cleaner high ISO and full frame when you want/need it.

This summer I am shooting a D800 and D700 gripped on the sidelines of lax and soccer games and I am often frustrated by the limited fps of the D800. No issues with wildlife but for sports urghhh.

Grant

Jun 28, 2013 at 02:19 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password