Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 50mm 1.8G lens hood

Kell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 50mm 1.8G lens hood

stupid question perhaps...just got this lens...put the hood on because it was included and it looks cool ..... so, any reason to not just leave it on always other than increases the size? I understand there are situations where it will not provide any value or improvements, but are they any situations where it may be detrimental to performance, like blocking too much light say indoors? thanks

Jun 27, 2013 at 09:28 PM
DontShoot
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 50mm 1.8G lens hood

The 50 1.8G is the only lens I own where I don't use a lens hood. The element is already deeply recessed and the barrel is already acting as a lens hood. JMO of course.

Jun 27, 2013 at 09:47 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 50mm 1.8G lens hood

yeah, I realize that..just wondering if it will serve a negative purpose in anyway, that's all..already fired the pop up flash on my D700 with it on and it clears the hood completely so that's not an issue, thanks

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:09 PM
BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 50mm 1.8G lens hood

No reason not to use it

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:10 AM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 50mm 1.8G lens hood

I leave the hood on that lens always. I do the same with the Sigma 35 and 85. The only lens I remove the hood for is the Sigma 150, because it won't fit in my case (Pelican 1510) with it on.

Jun 28, 2013 at 02:42 AM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 50mm 1.8G lens hood

I had my 50 1.8g on this afternoon & my little one threw a stick at me, whacked the hood edge. If I had no hood it would have hit the glass no doubt. I have hoods on all my lenses except the 24 which usually has a foundation kit on it.

Jun 28, 2013 at 02:47 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 50mm 1.8G lens hood

good enough then, thanks folks

Jun 28, 2013 at 03:18 AM
signo
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 50mm 1.8G lens hood

I use it with a rubber hood and Im really happy with the result.

Jun 29, 2013 at 01:01 PM
mikerfns
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 50mm 1.8G lens hood

Kell wrote:
...but are they any situations where it may be detrimental to performance, like blocking too much light say indoors? thanks

There are never any situations where using a hood will be detrimental to optical performance. Hoods do not block image forming light. They are designed to block stray light from outside the edges of the frame that can, in some situations, cause flare or reduced contrast. A properly sized lens hood will either improve image quality or do nothing. Never the opposite.

Bayonet mounted hoods like the HB-47 can be a royal PITA when you are using a polarizing filter and need to reach inside the hood to rotate the filter. But other than that situation and the increased bulk factor, there is no reason not to use the recommended hood.

Jun 29, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gugs
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 50mm 1.8G lens hood

I always keep hoods on all my lenses unless I shoot macro from a short distance or if I need to work with a CP.

Guy

Jun 30, 2013 at 10:15 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 50mm 1.8G lens hood

I remove hoods as space dictates, which rarely is the case on short to medium length lenses.

Jul 01, 2013 at 01:35 AM
Chestnut
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 50mm 1.8G lens hood

I always leave the hoods on all my lenses. If nothing else, it serves as physical protection.

Plus, why wouldn't you use it? When storing, I just reverse my hoods and stick it in the bag (w/ lens cap, of course).

The only times where the hood becomes a little annoying is with wide/ultra-wide angle lenses... but I still keep them.

Jul 01, 2013 at 03:10 AM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 50mm 1.8G lens hood

I use hoods all of the time and therefore, I never use the lens caps. I have had some unwanted flare/ghosting with the new 50mm F1.8 AFSG for backlighted subjects. Not sure what a hood would do to improve on that but the hood can get bumped and not the lens if you keep the hood on. Want to see a bigger hood? Look at the new 85mm F1.8AFSG. I don't like that hood but I love the lens.

Jul 02, 2013 at 07:21 AM
TOUGEFC

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 50mm 1.8G lens hood

Im another hood user here for physical protection.
A few weeks ago I was shooting waterfalls and I slipped up on some very slippery rocks and my bag took a hard fall, the 50mm 1.8g was in my bag with the hood on. The hood shattered and absorbed the impact, the lens is perfect , without a hood the lens would have most probably gotten damaged from impact. A hood is much cheaper to replace than a lens.

Jul 02, 2013 at 08:48 AM
verbiage
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 50mm 1.8G lens hood

mikerfns wrote:
There are never any situations where using a hood will be detrimental to optical performance. Hoods do not block image forming light. They are designed to block stray light from outside the edges of the frame that can, in some situations, cause flare or reduced contrast. A properly sized lens hood will either improve image quality or do nothing. Never the opposite.

Bayonet mounted hoods like the HB-47 can be a royal PITA when you are using a polarizing filter and need to reach inside the hood to rotate the filter. But other than that situation and the increased bulk factor,
...Show more

^^^^ That, and the really special case of taking close up (or even macro) shots (hey, you can use extension tubes!) and using an on-camera flash. The hood might cast a shadow over you close-up subject. That would be the only case when a hood would be blocking useful light, as opposed to stray, detrimental light.

Cheers,
S.K.

Jul 02, 2013 at 09:45 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 50mm 1.8G lens hood

Not a fan of plastic, replaced mine with a metal screw-in for like $10

Jul 02, 2013 at 11:16 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 50mm 1.8G lens hood

My 1.8D came without a hood. Nikon never even included a mount for one, unless you count the filter threads and use a big rubber hood. Maybe the hood is there to justify the higher price? Then again, does anyone recall that the announced reason for ""G" lenses was reduced cost by doing away with the aperture ring?

Jul 02, 2013 at 07:33 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password