Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7      
8
       9       end
  

Canon EOS 70D
  
 
andyjaggy82
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #1 · Canon EOS 70D


Pentax has a new SLR that you can customize in hundreds of color combinations. It's pretty cool actually. It might be a little bit cheesy, but if I had the choice to get my 7D in different colors I would. Nice dark olive green with gray or brown grip. Oh yeah.


Jul 02, 2013 at 10:28 PM
MintMar
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #2 · Canon EOS 70D


Gochugogi wrote:
To me spot AF was an amazing advancement and made AF a lot more useful. I rarely need to disable AF save for studio/tripod shots. However, realize the 70D is being marketed to Rebel upgraders and others unlikely to use let alone understand what spot or expansion point AF is.


Since when the userfriendly controlled AF system in an AF camera became a rocket science?



Jul 02, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Pixel Perfect
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #3 · Canon EOS 70D


deadwolfbones wrote:
Canon doesn't ever confirm anything until they announce it.

That said, they were at pains to say that the 70D is not a 7D replacement. Take that as you will; I know how I'm reading it.


That's right, since they have already told us a 7D replacement is being developed, but as of the beginning of this year they had not decided what direction the camera should take. I think they will examining several options including APS-H. It would be a big selling point and give them a sensor no one could match. I doubt it would happen, but if they made a true 1D IV replacement in a smaller form factor, with 5D III class AF, 9-10fps, fancy new PDAF sensor, dual cards, wifi, etc, I think it would sell up a storm even at $3K.



Jul 02, 2013 at 10:49 PM
jorkata
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #4 · Canon EOS 70D


MintMar wrote:
Maybe 6D gets 7D's AF and starts to sit between 70D and 5D3?


That's what I was hoping for last year ... before the 6D struck .

But unless the 6D is updated in the next 12 months, it looks like we are going to see a 7DII after all.
The 7DII needs to use a better sensor that the 70D, IMO. Otherwise what's the point.



Jul 02, 2013 at 11:12 PM
jorkata
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #5 · Canon EOS 70D


timbop wrote:
The fact that the 70d gets the exact same AF sensor is a bit of a game changer. I don't think that the 7d2 can keep the same one, so are they going to invent a brand new 33 pt (or whatever) AF or do they just put the existing 61pt AF from the 5d3/1dx?


Good question.

If I was Canon, I'd put a new AF system in the 7DII - and share it later with the 6DII.



Jul 02, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Rusty1
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #6 · Canon EOS 70D


jorkata wrote:
That's what I was hoping for last year ... before the 6D struck .

But unless the 6D is updated in the next 12 months, it looks like we are going to see a 7DII after all.
The 7DII needs to use a better sensor that the 70D, IMO. Otherwise what's the point.


I know this doesn't speak for everybody, but without the better sensor my 7D will do me just fine.



Jul 02, 2013 at 11:34 PM
Access
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #7 · Canon EOS 70D


cputeq wrote:
Because people buy a camera upgrade / line expecting the same form-factor. Everything from lens balance to working with the camera in the dark remains the same. Makes switching bodies on the fly easier.

If you want a new factor, you buy another line. Unfortunately, you can't throw everything and the kitchen sink in with every factor (well you COULD), but that's not how marketing works

No you're thinking of the design of a tool. What I'm talking about is design of a consumer item. Because honestly, this camera is somewhere between the two. I think Canon envisions the rebel line as 'consumer', XXD line as 'prosumer', and the other lines like the 7D, 5D, or 1D as being 'pro'.

Think of something like the car. Sure it has a purpose, a function. But it is also a consumer item. Because of this, every few model years, a specific model of car is re-designed. They have to do this, if for no other reason, to keep it fresh, to keep it appealing to the modern consumer.

You don't see it much on these boards, but these boards represent an ever-shrinking portion of the photographer population as time goes on. It's not so much that the number of users on these boards has been shrinking, but more that the users of these boards are only a certain type of photographer that continues to be eclipsed by other types as time goes on.

Imagine, for instance, if this new camera was sold for the exact same price as the SL-1. Which camera do you think Canon would sell more of? It might seem like a stupid question, but it should be illustrative of my sentiment, at least.



Jul 03, 2013 at 12:34 AM
jctriguy
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #8 · Canon EOS 70D


Access wrote:
Imagine, for instance, if this new camera was sold for the exact same price as the SL-1. Which camera do you think Canon would sell more of? It might seem like a stupid question, but it should be illustrative of my sentiment, at least.


Not sure I get your point here. If the 70D and SL1 were the same price, the 70D would outsell the SL1 by probably 100-1. It has the 'new' design but significantly lower feature set.

For me personally, I don't want them to keep changing the design of the cameras. I like the way my 7D feels in my hand. I can't stand using the new SL1 or smaller Rebel size cameras, they feel like toys in my hand. Some 'tools' are shaped a certain way because that is the most functional design. They should only change the layout of the camera buttons and screens if they find it helps the user work with the camera more efficiently. Just randomly changing things to appeal to a new user and make it appear 'new' would be step in the wrong direction. IMHO of course.



Jul 03, 2013 at 01:19 AM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #9 · Canon EOS 70D


jctriguy wrote:
Not sure I get your point here. If the 70D and SL1 were the same price, the 70D would outsell the SL1 by probably 100-1. It has the 'new' design but significantly lower feature set.

For me personally, I don't want them to keep changing the design of the cameras. I like the way my 7D feels in my hand. I can't stand using the new SL1 or smaller Rebel size cameras, they feel like toys in my hand. Some 'tools' are shaped a certain way because that is the most functional design. They should only change the layout of the
...Show more

You got that right.



Jul 03, 2013 at 01:40 AM
Access
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #10 · Canon EOS 70D


jctriguy wrote:
Not sure I get your point here. If the 70D and SL1 were the same price, the 70D would outsell the SL1 by probably 100-1. It has the 'new' design but significantly lower feature set.

No this is exactly my point. Only among people here. If you look at consumers as a whole, especially first-time buyers, the SL1 would likely outsell the 70D, especially if it was marketed and distributed effectively.

The average consumer doesn't read technical reviews, they might read a few reviews on amazon or whatever site they're buying the camera from, but they're not reading this site, they're not reading dpreview, or anywhere like that. Or perhaps they get the camera as a gift, bought for them by someone who reads or knows even less. None of these tech specs are obvious by looking at the camera. What's obvious is that one is "newer, fresher, more convenient and innovative in design" while the other looks pedestrian, like any other DSLR that anyone else already has.



Jul 03, 2013 at 01:41 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



jctriguy
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #11 · Canon EOS 70D


Access wrote:
No this is exactly my point. Only among people here. If you look at consumers as a whole, especially first-time buyers, the SL1 would likely outsell the 70D, especially if it was marketed and distributed effectively.

The average consumer doesn't read technical reviews, they might read a few reviews on amazon or whatever site they're buying the camera from, but they're not reading this site, they're not reading dpreview, or anywhere like that. Or perhaps they get the camera as a gift, bought for them by someone who reads or knows even less. None of these tech specs are obvious by
...Show more

That is all pretty flawed logic. You are comparing an SL-1 that is 'marketed effectively' to a 70D that is just dumped on a shelf with no build-up or marketing. Of course that wouldn't out sell an SL-1. But it would be unbelievably easy to market a 70D as better than an SL-1, for every class of user from total newb to seasoned pro. For years the most MP or zoom range was the way P&S were sold. A 70D has better AF, more MP, 5x faster video AF, etc, etc.



Jul 03, 2013 at 02:55 AM
Dark Slider
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #12 · Canon EOS 70D


70D looks like a very nice upgrade to the 60D, a camera I also did not buy.



Jul 03, 2013 at 03:32 AM
Dawei Ye
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #13 · Canon EOS 70D


I used to like the good old days of DSLR's when there was just:

xxxD/Rebel line

xxD line

5D line

1D/S line

The xxD's would be just the Crop version of the 5D; the 5D would be the budget FF, and everyone knew where everything stood.

Now it's all overcomplicated with choice.



Jul 03, 2013 at 03:33 AM
Dawei Ye
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #14 · Canon EOS 70D


Access wrote:
The average consumer doesn't read technical reviews, they might read a few reviews on amazon or whatever site they're buying the camera from, but they're not reading this site, they're not reading dpreview, or anywhere like that.


I don't think so - I read DPreview when I was a student buying my first camera (point and shoot) before I knew anything about photography, and I know that any "average consumer" who asks me for advice on camera choice has always read dpreview etc.

I think you don't give the google generation enough credit.

Amazon is a U.S. site - DPreview is global and has far more reach.



Jul 03, 2013 at 03:35 AM
MintMar
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #15 · Canon EOS 70D


Dawei Ye wrote:
I used to like the good old days of DSLR's when there was just:

xxxD/Rebel line

xxD line

5D line

1D/S line

The xxD's would be just the Crop version of the 5D; the 5D would be the budget FF, and everyone knew where everything stood.

Now it's all overcomplicated with choice.


And having to buy the big overpriced brick just to get a decent AF? No thanks!



Jul 03, 2013 at 06:13 AM
Access
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #16 · Canon EOS 70D


Dawei Ye wrote:
I don't think so - I read DPreview when I was a student buying my first camera (point and shoot) before I knew anything about photography, and I know that any "average consumer" who asks me for advice on camera choice has always read dpreview etc.

I think you don't give the google generation enough credit.

Amazon is a U.S. site - DPreview is global and has far more reach.

Well trends can be regional, I live here and I know what I see among the new entries.
They're not all google generation either, a lot of them are, for instance, Retirees.

It might seem perfectly ridiculous to those here, but when it comes to the lower end models (rebels or XXD series) they sell more based on form than function.

I know self-proclaimed "Professional Instagram Photographer" who explained the sentiment to me pretty well. In their world, you don't become popular just by taking great photos. That helps, but it's not just the photos you take, but that you look great while doing it. People want to stand out, they want to be the center of attention; the camera isn't just for taking pictures, it's ultimately an extension and expression of who you are. If that means giving up a few megapixels, frames per second, or whatever other metric is used to compare the two, then that's what it is.

I admit I don't really live in that world either, but that's how I understand or explain it (what I see).



Jul 03, 2013 at 01:46 PM
johnctharp
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #17 · Canon EOS 70D


For those of you who believe the younger generation is the 'Google' generation, you may be right- but you'd positively s*** yourselves if you knew just how many of them are fundamentally 'computer' and 'internet' challenged.

But it's not like they are the target demographic for DSLRs, or, well, anything resembling a camera that isn't attached to the phone they got for free.



Jul 03, 2013 at 03:23 PM
RobDickinson
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #18 · Canon EOS 70D


70d has plenty of 'function ' but not aimed at stills shooters.

Canon could have easily decided still IQ is good enough and the sensor pdaf would generate much more sales than a stop of dynamic range only internet nerds care about.



Jul 03, 2013 at 06:28 PM
jctriguy
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #19 · Canon EOS 70D


Access wrote:
Well trends can be regional, I live here and I know what I see among the new entries.
They're not all google generation either, a lot of them are, for instance, Retirees.

It might seem perfectly ridiculous to those here, but when it comes to the lower end models (rebels or XXD series) they sell more based on form than function.
...
I admit I don't really live in that world either, but that's how I understand or explain it (what I see).


Interesting, I've never heard of anyone buying a DSLR because of the way it looked. I know some will buy a smaller or larger body based on their own size and comfort or maybe travel/weight considerations. But to say that people are buying DSLR because they look 'cooler' than another model, seems a little strange to me. I think people that cared about what a camera looked like, would be buying one of the mirrorless systems like the Nikon or others with different colours.

I still think that most people who decide to buy a first DSLR make the choice based on 1) cost 2) basic features 3) what a friend/family uses (3 might actually be 1 in many cases). When I have my camera out, people always say 'wow what is the zoom on that thing' (it's a 70-200, so probably less of a zoom than most people have on a rebel with 55-250). They go for the MP, screen size, WiFi, etc.



Jul 03, 2013 at 11:53 PM
outmywindow
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #20 · Canon EOS 70D


Access wrote:
Why the same old and tired styling? Can't they do something revolutionary like the SL-1? It honestly looks very pedestrian and absolutely nothing to differentiate it from other models or it's predecessors.


^^ This. I actually think the design/aesthetics staff frankly got "bored" of doing anything new and just put the 60D and 7D together into one body with a slightly altered profile instead of doing anything new. Then again I might be a little biased by the slightly angular styling of the 40D and 50D which I prefer over the more rounded shape of the 60D/70D and to a certain extent the 7D. At the end of the day I know its more about the end result that you get out of the camera that matters, but you'd think they would at least give some more refined styling in a brand new body that their email promotion letters claim as a "game changer". Anyways just my opinion, nothing more.



Jul 04, 2013 at 01:03 AM
1       2       3              7      
8
       9       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7      
8
       9       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password