New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · 50L Glare/flare?

Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 50L Glare/flare?

You can't tell anything by a single image, and an image with all the metadata stripped, at that. How was the image processed and how much was it overexposed by? How clean was the lens Was there a filter on the lens and if there was, exactly what brand and model, and was that clean?

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 50L Glare/flare?

Minor quibble.

IMO, this isn't a good example of 'flare.' It's more of a random scattering of light from its ideal path through the lens. Any multi-element lens design faces this problem, and there is only so much that a practical (affordable!) design can do to combat it. AR coatings help with surface reflections, but even high quality coatings, optimally applied and oriented, reflect one part in several hundred. (In the real world, reflectivity can be one or two percent.) This reflected light bounces off the various surfaces and winds up 'migrating' some distance from its original path, striking the sensor from the wrong direction and in the wrong location. Add to this simple scattering caused by micro-bubbles in the glass, dust particles or a whiff of smoke or sublimated hydrocarbon settling on one of a dozen surfaces, or even a streak of finger oil or pizza grease dripped onto the front element. Got a microfiber cloth? It's full of goop that is just waiting to jump onto the glass.

This is all entirely normal and usually goes undetected.

As usual, our intrepid OP has found a worst-case scene that illustrates the issue quite nicely.

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:08 AM
rrxjon
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 50L Glare/flare?

Sunlight through a window should be tamed by Christmas

Jun 28, 2013 at 02:48 AM
form
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 50L Glare/flare?

I never use filters, there was no filter. The lens had no smearing and only minor specks on the front element. I associate this kind of flaring appearance with smears on the glass sometimes, which then forces me to change lenses until I can clean it later.

Jun 28, 2013 at 09:48 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.