FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Editing style?

hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Editing style?

marko1953 wrote:
That's a great idea but a recipe for disaster in weddings for anyone who has not used a manual focusing film camera. I have a bronica 6 x 6 film camera and use it for family shots but I cannot see myself evere using it at a wedding. For speed alone, you are slowed right down with focusing and winding on the film, with only 12 shots per roll. I know that experienced photographers can do this but it is very different at a real wedding when the pressure is on.

That is true about weddings but engagement shoots? It woud be easy. He linked an engagement shoot anyway. I find it a little humorous that so many people want the "film" look but never consider picking up a film camera. VSCO is cool and all but it is way trendy IMO and does not even come close to what film can do.
Also by shooting film you are inevitably going to make yourself a better photographer.

Jul 01, 2013 at 04:27 PM
Elijah
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Editing style?

heikoM wrote:
something like that?

Yes! I actually went ahead and purchased VSCO presets. And l have no regrets! Here’s one of the shots that fits my editing style.

DSC_9908 by Ilya Lisyanyy, on Flickr

Jul 03, 2013 at 10:09 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Editing style?

Iluxa007 wrote:
I actually went ahead and purchased VSCO presets.

I don't know if I'd admit that publicly.

Jul 03, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Joshua Gull
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Editing style?

Iluxa007 wrote:
I asked her but she never eeplied.
It's not just desaturation tho! The green is different than straight from the camera look. Also, skin tone is exactly what I'm aming at. I love a blown out/high key look. Most modern photographers use this style of editing...

Shoot film. VSCO can't do what some of those shots have going on (VSCO is actually a really poor film emulation platform unless you're trying to make your digital shots look like amateur 35mm film work, wells hot 35mm or medium format works looks quite a bit different than VSCO).

Jul 06, 2013 at 09:58 AM
Joshua Gull
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Editing style?

hardlyboring wrote:
That is true about weddings but engagement shoots? It woud be easy. He linked an engagement shoot anyway. I find it a little humorous that so many people want the "film" look but never consider picking up a film camera. VSCO is cool and all but it is way trendy IMO and does not even come close to what film can do.
Also by shooting film you are inevitably going to make yourself a better photographer.

This. I'd argue that the VSCO look is WAY more trendy than people actually shooting medium format film backlit on 400H and trying to emulate Jose Villa's look. Rarely if ever do I see anything come from VSCO presets that looks like real film yet people are still trying when they could just get a film camera and get the look they want right away.

That, or the "new trend" which is this hard light/underexposed look everyone is jumping on. But that's another conversation.

Jul 06, 2013 at 10:03 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Editing style?

Joshua Gull wrote:
the "new trend" which is this hard light/underexposed look everyone is jumping on

I'd be curious to see an example of this new trend.

Jul 06, 2013 at 02:33 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.