Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · how did you choose your style?

D. Diggler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · how did you choose your style?

hardlyboring wrote:
Biggest mistake with beginning photographers is looking to much at someone else's work and then trying to be just like them

I have an extra measure of respect for some of the top wedding photographers who say they go out of their way to avoid looking at other wedding photogs' work.

Jun 27, 2013 at 06:15 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · how did you choose your style?

This is an easy question. To find my style I wait for FM members to tell me I have a new style. Boom. Done.

Jun 27, 2013 at 06:58 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · how did you choose your style?

My style developed organically. I tried lots of things along the way and nothing 'felt right'. It was a literal feeling. I felt weird inside trying other things. I knew I was on the wrong path when I had this feeling.

I photographed my family virtually everyday. Obsessively. I wanted to get better. I wanted my photos to have meaning. They sucked. I hated my photographs. They were empty and not reflective of their lives. So I shot and shot and shot until things started to feel right.

I had the opportunity to shoot some of my first weddings with ultra talented people and I just applied the way I shot my own family to weddings and it felt good.

Jun 27, 2013 at 07:01 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · how did you choose your style?

My style evolved by shooting more but also by studying other photographers work. Contrary to how many others feel about looking at other people's work I think it is something that should be encouraged and embraced. But the caveat being to constantly question and analyze WHY you like something or are drawn to something. The problem arises when people see something they think looks cool and just try to replicate it.

I think being able to establish things that you are drawn to is pretty important to developmg a style. This helps me evaluate in my own work what I like and what I don't like. And subsequently establishes my style as I begin focusing more on shooting things the way I like.

Jun 27, 2013 at 08:23 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · how did you choose your style?

canerino wrote:
To find my style I wait for FM members to tell me I have a new style. Boom. Done.

Yeah, that 50L ... I just don't see that working well for where you're at nowadays.
It was a thought, though.

Jun 27, 2013 at 08:31 PM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · how did you choose your style?

I loved black and white images taken in the 30s, 40's and 50's. That influenced the style direction I wanted to go in.

May not have nailed it but that was an influence.

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:53 AM
heikoM
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · how did you choose your style?

Hi Chris,

I am about to study your work and I think it is amazing.
Very unique.

heiko

Jun 28, 2013 at 01:53 AM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · how did you choose your style?

Thank you Heiko.

Jun 28, 2013 at 08:27 AM
Guillaume de B

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · how did you choose your style?

Hi Heiko,

I don't think most posters so far have understood your question. You aren't looking to copy anyone yet most replies seem to focus on telling you not to do this.

It's certainly true that your style will change over time, both because you get better at achieving a certain look and also because your aesthetic tastes change.

I think what you are asking is: 'How do you decide that a certain look is the right way for you to go with your photography when you like more than one approach?'. Liking classic B&W documentary work, and working towards that doesn't mean you're copying anyone, but you want to know why people choose that approach rather than another. Chuck Anerino for example said that he wanted his family images to have more meaning which I think this style suits (atmosphere/observation etc) and so you can see why he has gone with this style. Tony Hoffer has a very different and more commercial look to his images, if you also like this style how do you decide what to practise and show as your portfolio rather than send out a diluted brand image by displaying both styles?

I guess it's similar to a young musician, loving both jazz and rock, knowing that to make an impact he needs to define his image by pursuing one over the other.

I had the same thoughts as you a while back and decided to shoot in the style that I would most like my wedding to be photographed in. I don't feel I'm at the level as the best photographers who shoot in that particular style, but it's great to have something to aim towards. I personally love Erik Clausen and Otto Schulze's work and would like to shoot at their level one day.

Don't be afraid to look at other's work and strive to achieve what they do. From the Beatles to Cartier-Bresson, there is not an artist out there who hasn't been influenced by other artists.

Good luck,

Gui

Jun 28, 2013 at 09:52 AM
heikoM
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · how did you choose your style?

Guillaume de B wrote:
'How do you decide that a certain look is the right way for you to go with your photography when you like more than one approach?'.

I guess it's similar to a young musician, loving both jazz and rock, knowing that to make an impact he needs to define his image by pursuing one over the other.

Gui

exactly that, thank you.

heiko

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:13 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · how did you choose your style?

Hej Gui,

tack så mycket, trivs du i Sverige?

har det så bår,

heiko

(som bodde i Sverige i några ar...)

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Guillaume de B

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · how did you choose your style?

Ja absolut, jag har bott här 1.5 års ungefär, fortfarande lär mig svenska! Kan du gissa varför jag flyttade?!

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:54 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · how did you choose your style?

heikoM wrote:
Hej Gui,

tack så mycket, trivs du i Sverige?

har det så bår,

heiko

(som bodde i Sverige i några ar...)

这正是我在想些什么时阅读所有的海报。

现在它是更清晰。

我认为在未来我们应该更加明确和直接去点。

詹姆斯 ·

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:58 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.