Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · how did you choose your style?

heikoM
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · how did you choose your style?

...or was ist the other way around?

I am building my brand and I am still not sure about what I like best and what I do best.

You know, what kind of photografic style I prefer. One day I totally love just beeing around the couple with a 35/1.4 shooting mostly wide open, purely reportage style and love a Fuji800Z look.

The next day I feel that is boring and pull out my flash stuff and try fancy WA shots with fill and highlights and sun in the background... In the PP I like here deep blacks and high contrast + saturation.

I feel these are two totally different styles, and my portfolio looks like that. I just canīt come clear with me what/who I am (photografically).

What about you? How did you find your style. When came the moment when you were sure and said to yourself "that is me". Are you still evolving?

Any tips?

thank you guys,

heiko

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:17 AM
jmraso
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · how did you choose your style?

Six years after I started shooting and after many sample books that I loved at first as a new toy but the moment I didnt like them at all not only for the design but also the photography, I knew I had to move on in another direction, to the point I couldnt even show them to the clients (so many fires have been fed with them) till I realized I could believe in what I said to my potential clients with, more or less, any book regardless the year and I have quite a few in my studio,I love sample albums either from scratch designed on purpose or a downsized version of a real album the couple takes away forever .

Jaime

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:42 PM
NYstyles
• • •
p.1 #3 · how did you choose your style?

I didnt choose, I just naturally evolved that way. I havent changed much for the way I shoot or what I shoot but my post process style has evolved. I have a vintage touch to my work, vintage is in many areas of my life so I naturally just went that way. I have a bit of a VSCO post style but do not use VSCO, Ive made my own VSCO style presets in Lightroom. I know some hate it but I LOVE it. Took a few years to naturally go that way. It kind of just happened...

I started as a makeup artist so there are times I do things out of my usual style for fun or look I have going on the model. I always like to try new lighting tricks. I started as a glam shooter, its my first love. Love, love, love photographing my ladies all glammed up!

I also think we are always evolving even if its not the way we shoot, it may be post works, how you handle clients, etc. It all goes together. We just evolve as people in general.

Jun 27, 2013 at 02:03 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #4 · how did you choose your style?

I try to achieve color and b&w processing styles that are somewhat contrasty and saturated, but not so extreme that they become niche-ified. Ideally I would like my b&w's to have a "timeless" feel with a hint of modernism, and my colors to have a realistic color palette but with high contrast.

However, I get tempted often by some of those filmlike colors, not-quite-black blacks, and so on. I really like Gabe's color processing, and I appreciate the niche of Sergio Mottola's color processing. And, I like the very natural overall appearance of the colors from that...Aleksandras Babicius photographer.

Edited on Jun 27, 2013 at 02:15 PM · View previous versions

Jun 27, 2013 at 02:09 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #5 · how did you choose your style?

You don't choose your style. It comes from being yourself, doing what you do, being satisfied with it and that's the label it's given, your style. It just happens. Your style is the end result of your work, not the goal of it. If you don't have one or you're trying to come up with one, you're just pretending to be a creator.

Jun 27, 2013 at 02:09 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · how did you choose your style?

It's not a choice. You just find your style

Jun 27, 2013 at 02:50 PM
heikoM
• • •
p.1 #7 · how did you choose your style?

swoop wrote:
You don't choose your style. It comes from being yourself, doing what you do, being satisfied with it and that's the label it's given, your style. It just happens. Your style is the end result of your work, not the goal of it. If you don't have one or you're trying to come up with one, you're just pretending to be a creator.

I disagree, being not satisfied with the status quo is the beginning of a change, of being creative.

Jun 27, 2013 at 02:57 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · how did you choose your style?

If you are choosing a style then you arent doing it right

Jun 27, 2013 at 03:00 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · how did you choose your style?

heikoM wrote:
I disagree, being not satisfied with the status quo is the beginning of a change, of being creative.

You are thinking of your style relating to other people's' style. What you should be thinking about is just entirely doing your own thing and not paying any attention to what others are doing. That's how you find your own style.

Jun 27, 2013 at 03:08 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · how did you choose your style?

Took me about 5 years to evolve two styles I thought were me into one, that came from me naturally in the end. When you get there, you know it. Don't force it.

Jun 27, 2013 at 04:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

heikoM
• • •
p.1 #11 · how did you choose your style?

paparazzinick wrote:
If you are choosing a style then you arent doing it right

I do not want to choose, I may said that incorrect. Both styles feel right. It is more a question of mood. One day I like icecream, the next sausages...

I just donīt know how to integrate them into each other, or so...

Jun 27, 2013 at 04:08 PM
heikoM
• • •
p.1 #12 · how did you choose your style?

TTLKurtis wrote:
You are thinking of your style relating to other people's' style.

Why do you think so? Of course I get inspiration, but I am not trying to copy. I just described what I like at the moment. I do not relate my style to others, I think.

(0:

heiko

Jun 27, 2013 at 04:10 PM
eNoBlog
• • •
p.1 #13 · how did you choose your style?

You discover your style as you evolve as a photographer/artist. I think intentionally purposing to shoot in this or that style by definition makes you an immitator of someone else's style. I guess it's okay to have that as a starting point, then evolve, but I much rather just enjoy myself and let my style come to fruition on its own. I'm sure many here would look at my work and find it rather wooden or common-place or (gasp!) traditional. Somehow my clients see something they like (in some cases telling me that they prefer it over the highly stylized, over-processed stuff they see out there) and they pick it. I'm also sure I won't be the same photographer 2 or 5 years from now, and that's part of the fun.

Jun 27, 2013 at 05:36 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #14 · how did you choose your style?

It took me a handful of years to finally being to see what my "style" was, and it was actually only through others' feedback that I began to see it. I did not choose it...it just "happened."

Jun 27, 2013 at 06:53 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #15 · how did you choose your style?

Your style finds you because it is an extension of you it just means it is more clearly communicated. I think that photographers with reams of gear, huge variety in their pictures, are often looking at others peoples work and worry about finding their style a lot don't really know who they are as photographers.

That people often seem to think style = 'processing' is just bizarre to me.

Jun 27, 2013 at 07:20 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · how did you choose your style?

Biggest mistake with beginning photographers is looking to much at someone else's work and then trying to be just like them and not like themselves.
You cannot choose a style, your style is just your style. It can take years and years to perfect but cannot be forced.
I appreciate a lot of peoples work but have no desire to be like them in the end.

Jun 27, 2013 at 09:50 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #17 · how did you choose your style?

I prefer to think of 'approach' as separate from 'style'. My approach to wedding photography is something that came about pretty naturally and is very much informed by my general outlook in life. I like authenticity and I value integrity and as such I see wedding photography as a venture that, at heart, is concerned with the presentation of reality. That said, I'm not a follower of trends and have something of an outspoken streak so I'm always keen to 'present reality in it's best possible light'. To that end, while I'm not looking to manipulate things left right and centre, I am always trying to decide "How does this look best? From the left, the right or the centre?".

As far as my post processing 'look' goes, this is often what people mean when they talk about 'style'. For me, that is in part a simple aesthetic bias and in part a reflection of my approach. My drive for authenticity pushes me towards a post processing style that isn't heavily 'on-trend'. I'm interested in a look that lasts, something for the ages, rather than something that is in vogue today but will date tomorrow. To this end, I like black and white that has a certain filmic quality to it. I have it in for VSCO however as it is all about heavily-stylised looks. As for the aesthetic bias, well that's simply what looks good to me. I like black blacks, white whites but not an absence of graduation in-between. As for colour, I come back to the 'presenting reality in the best possible light' metaphor. I want things to look fairly realistic, but perhaps ever so slightly hyper-real. Not so much that it screams it's exuberance, but just enough that the world looks more glorious than we remember it. Accurate white balance, rich colour. A world that pops a little.

That's pretty much it. Like I say, approach and post processing style are somewhat seperate concepts for me, though undoubtedly, one informs t'other.

Edited on Jun 27, 2013 at 10:58 PM · View previous versions

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:37 PM
heikoM
• • •
p.1 #18 · how did you choose your style?

tonyhart wrote:
That's pretty much it. Like I say, approach and post processing style are somewhat seperate concepts for me, though undoubtedly, one informs t'other.[/quote

I like you view on approach and style, make sense for me, thanks.

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:54 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #19 · how did you choose your style?

Style is nothing more than a recognizable set of things that you repeat. For things to be recognizable they need to be intentional and second nature. This takes time. You just need to try a bunch of stuff and see what makes sense and best serves the purpose of your work. You can't help but develop a style if you stick to it and develop intention. So don't worry about it, just keep going and it will work itself out.

That or you could resort to gimmicks, which are not "style" regardless of what the popular trends would have you believe.

- trr

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:58 PM
heikoM
• • •
p.1 #20 · how did you choose your style?

hardlyboring wrote:
Biggest mistake with beginning photographers is looking to much at someone else's work and then trying to be just like them and not like themselves.
You cannot choose a style, your style is just your style. It can take years and years to perfect but cannot be forced.
I appreciate a lot of peoples work but have no desire to be like them in the end.

I am not sure if you refer to me or state something in general.

I am no beginner, just quite new to wedding photography (2 years). I am not asking which style I should copy, I am just wondering how you guys did find your way.

I see LOTS of photographers who have been taking pictures for ages and they seem quite boring. Others do it for 2 years and are absolutely stunning and unique. I conclude that style has little to do with how long you have been in business.

Just my thoughts, (o:

heiko

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:00 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password