Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       end
  

Archive 2013 · fast 50s on NEX-7 a "portrait" comparison
  
 
sebboh
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · fast 50s on NEX-7 a "portrait" comparison


philber wrote:
I respectfully beg to differ. I did a test of G45 against a Lux 50, and the Lux was significantly sharper. Not that in itself the Lux is sharpness King of the Hill, because the Makro Elmarit 60 is sharper yet.

But that doesn't mean that only the sharpest of them all is any good. Sharpness isn't n1 on my list of must-haves


i presume you were using the lux asph. the lux asph is not in this test. i am using the 50 lux pre-asph vII, a lens that is more than 50 years old.

apologies if that has confused anyone.

on a side note, when talking about sharpness it's important to include distance, because if you compare this test with the test at infinity that i linked in the OP you'll see that things look very different.



Jun 27, 2013 at 07:57 PM
philber
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · fast 50s on NEX-7 a "portrait" comparison


I tested short distance, mid-distance, and infinity. And the Lux won against the G is all 3 cases. Apologies for the confusion, I misread your "shown itself to be sharper than everything else" to mean everything, and not just "everything in this test"


Jun 27, 2013 at 08:04 PM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · fast 50s on NEX-7 a "portrait" comparison


philber wrote:
I tested short distance, mid-distance, and infinity. And the Lux won against the G is all 3 cases. Apologies for the confusion, I misread your "shown itself to be sharper than everything else" to mean everything, and not just "everything in this test"


ah, i understand. that is good to hear about the lux asph since i like it's general rendering better than the g45s. did you do a comparison at various different parts of the frame as well as various distances?



Jun 27, 2013 at 08:12 PM
redisburning
Offline
• • •
Account locked
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · fast 50s on NEX-7 a "portrait" comparison


how did you test philber?

when you say the elmarit is sharper, do you mean across the frame or peak sharpness? because if it is the latter than I would be a bit surprised as the mtfs suggest the lux should edge it out slightly over part of the frame.

to be honest they are both lenses that I actually wish to own, and that list is very short. not even the m-rokkor/summicron is on that list since it is too wide despite its relatively sane pricing in the world of leica lenses.



Jun 27, 2013 at 08:16 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



JohnJ
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · fast 50s on NEX-7 a "portrait" comparison


Very nice work. It's obviously a fair effort to be able to share the results, compared to just looking at them for yourself on your monitor, so thanks for that.


Jun 27, 2013 at 09:44 PM
freaklikeme
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · fast 50s on NEX-7 a "portrait" comparison


Nice test, D. Very informative, in my opinion. And now more of the hairsplitting with have a reference point.

I'd say choosing the vII Lux is much more about character than it is anything approaching objective perfection. It does really well with high-key compositions and I like the dreamy monochrome conversions it can produce.



Jun 28, 2013 at 02:41 AM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · fast 50s on NEX-7 a "portrait" comparison


freaklikeme wrote:
Nice test, D. Very informative, in my opinion. And now more of the hairsplitting with have a reference point.

I'd say choosing the vII Lux is much more about character than it is anything approaching objective perfection. It does really well with high-key compositions and I like the dreamy monochrome conversions it can produce.


thanks. i feel like maybe i'm being too hard on the lux here. i really do think the lux is magical for portraits and it's actually produced quite a few family shots for me that i think are amazing (most of which i can't post here sadly). i was just hoping it could be a viable do everything lens like the rokkor though.



Jun 28, 2013 at 05:40 AM
freaklikeme
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · fast 50s on NEX-7 a "portrait" comparison


sebboh wrote:
thanks. i feel like maybe i'm being too hard on the lux here. i really do think the lux is magical for portraits and it's actually produced quite a few family shots for me that i think are amazing (most of which i can't post here sadly). i was just hoping it could be a viable do everything lens like the rokkor though.


I don't think so. I think you're being realistic. Tests like this establish an objective baseline for lens performance as compared to other lenses with a common format. Since exhaustive testing of all lenses in all possible shooting scenarios would be ludicrous, it's up to the viewer to see the potential in each lens' strength and flaws and how those might be best applied.

Anyway, it's going to be tough to beat the Rokkor (I assume we're talking about the 50 PG) for an all-arounder, regardless of price. Once you factor in the price and realize how much more you're spending for some small improvements and probably one or two dings against, then you really have to wonder why you're bothering.



Jun 28, 2013 at 07:22 PM
1      
2
       end




FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password