New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              13       14       end

Archive 2013 · Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1R Full Frame with no AA filter

Mike V
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1R Full Frame with no AA filter

The press release sort of says it stands for resolution maybe?

"The model’s ‘R’ suffix denotes a further improvement in the pocket-sized camera’s already spectacular resolution"

Jun 27, 2013 at 08:32 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1R Full Frame with no AA filter

Cool. Not upgrading from my RX1, but if I were in the market for a new one today, would take the aa-less version. Hope Sony releases a sequel with built in OVF or EVF.

Jun 27, 2013 at 08:45 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1R Full Frame with no AA filter

LightShow wrote:
Still no built in EVF = no sale for me.
Sure I could live without an EVF, but having one in my NEX-7 has spoilt me, I doubt I'll buy another cam without one.

1++

Having to cough up several hundred more in addition to the 3 grand and with the extra weight and bulk on top is a non-starter for me, no matter how great it is.

This is a pro-grade camera, not some disposable P&S.

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:33 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1R Full Frame with no AA filter

j.liam wrote:
1++

Having to cough up several hundred more in addition to the 3 grand and with the extra weight and bulk on top is a non-starter for me, no matter how great it is.

I used to feel similarly, although I was of two minds when I moved from the Nex-5N to the Nex-7, because I did miss the tilt of the 5N's EVF, as well as the EVF on/off button.

With the RX1, I'm particularly glad that they left off the EVF, because I like using the OVF so much, and a built-in EVF would just get in the way, as well as making the camera feel more outdated down the road when better EVFs arrive.

I like the modular approach with the RX series.

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:50 AM
serhan_
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1R Full Frame with no AA filter

Only problem with Sony's modular approach is the viewfinder for nex-5n doesn't fit to the rx series. On the Olympus side, you can even use the viewfinder on Leica's.

LL just put out their first impressions, more on moire:
Sony Rx1R-A First Impressions Review

That's a Moire

The answer to the first question is – yes. There is a difference. The Rx1N is sharper. But as with the Nikon 800e vs the 800, the difference is very small. In fact, my experience is that only in direct on-screen side-by-side comparisons at 100% magnification is that difference really noticeable. Also, once an image has been properly sharpened with an experienced eye, that difference become de minimus. I should mention though that when sharpening, the amount of sharpening required is noticeably less with the Rx1N, so this is both a subjective and an objective observation.

Now to
...Show more

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:27 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1R Full Frame with no AA filter

douglasf13 wrote:
My favorite thing about the RX1R is that I'm not tempted to upgrade.

Single focal length only kills it for me.

The main advantage to FF is the dof, fov, more real estate for larger pixels or more pixels (or combination of choice). Of the three advantages to FF .. fov is the one most challenging to pull off with crop formats. So, why limit FF to 35mm? Or are they going to try to do like Sigma with a set of single focal length cameras? Add another one with a Zeiss 21/2.8 (or wider) to the stable and it might make some sense. Till you can address fov @ UWA ... why really bother with FF?

My first "real camera" was a Yashica rangefinder with the 50/1.4, so I get being able to shoot with a single focal length. But in today's realm ... I'm waiting for them to bring it to market with interchangeable lenses. I shoot with FF non-AA filter in the form of the Kodak SLR/C (dinosaur, I know), so I appreciate the non-AA filter more than most .. but single FL just doesn't make sense to me for that kind of $$$.

Edited on Jun 27, 2013 at 12:40 PM · View previous versions

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:38 PM
stuuke
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1R Full Frame with no AA filter

Are there any comparisons of the RX1 shot at 50mm crop and smaller sensor cameras shot with a 50?

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:39 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1R Full Frame with no AA filter

serhan_ wrote:
Only problem with Sony's modular approach is the viewfinder for nex-5n doesn't fit to the rx series. On the Olympus side, you can even use the viewfinder on Leica's.

LL just put out their first impressions, more on moire:
Sony Rx1R-A First Impressions Review

That's because Sony switched to a new hotshoe last year, which is a major shift. Either way, I just meant modular within the RX system, which is designed by a separate division than NEX within Sony.

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:40 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1R Full Frame with no AA filter

RustyBug wrote:
Single focal length only kills it for me.

The main advantage to FF is the dof, fov, more real estate for larger pixels or more pixels (or combination of choice). Of the three advantages to FF .. fov is the one most challenging to pull off with crop formats. So, why limit FF to 35mm? Or are they going to try to do like Sigma with a set of single focal length cameras? Add another one with a Zeiss 21/2.8 (or wider) to the stable and it might make some sense. Till you can address fov @ UWA ... why really
...Show more

The problem is that the RX1's lens sits too close to the sensor to be interchangeable, and the rear element is so large that the mount for an interchangeable version would have to be huge. Think about how relatively large the lenses are for NEX and Fuji X, and then imagine how much larger they'd be for a FF version.

I love shooting with a single focal length, and the small size is an added benefit.

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:47 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1R Full Frame with no AA filter

douglasf13 wrote:
I love shooting with a single focal length, and the small size is an added benefit.

I get shooting with a single focal length ... I do it all the time. I may leave a given prime lens mounted for days or even weeks at a time. But when I want to change up my perspective from 90mm to 18mm, I don't want to be "trapped" into 35mm only.

That being said, if I had to be trapped into one and only one, it would be between 24mm and 35mm (likely 24 for me), so 35mm isn't exactly a "bad" choice. I would certainly prefer it to 50mm, but I still am having some difficulty seeing where Sony is going with this "FF Rangefinder"... or is it simply going to be today's version of my old Yashica (not a bad thing, just an incomplete solution, imo)? Fuji or Nex seem to make more sense than FF with only a single focal length.

Edited on Jun 27, 2013 at 01:35 PM · View previous versions

Jun 27, 2013 at 01:28 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1R Full Frame with no AA filter

RustyBug wrote:
I get shooting with a single focal length ... I do it all the time. I may leave a given prime lens mounted for days or even weeks at a time. But when I want to change up my perspective from 90mm to 18mm, I don't want to be "trapped" into 35mm only.

That being said, if I had to be trapped into one and only one, it would be between 24mm and 35mm (likely 24 for me), so 35mm isn't exactly a "bad" choice. I would certainly prefer it to 50mm, but I still am having some difficulty seeing
...Show more

Yeah, I guess I don't see Sony as going anywhere with it, per se. A-mount and E-mount seem to be their focus, in terms of an interchangeable system, and the RX1 seems more in line with your Yashica.

Jun 27, 2013 at 01:32 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1R Full Frame with no AA filter

Maybe an RX-W with a fixed Zeiss 18 or 21 with a dedicated sensor/software for distortion correction to that specific lens for interior/landscape would be nice. Trading off (interchangeable) versatility for excellence @ UWA could be a worthy trade, imo.

Maybe a 17-35 fixed zoom @ RX-Z, but at least something to take better advantage of the fov FF offers. Might as well shoot 24 on crop if smaller size is your motivating factor @ convenience to carry? Just seems like such a waste to be @ 35mm only on FF.

Jun 27, 2013 at 01:45 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1R Full Frame with no AA filter

RustyBug wrote:
Maybe a 17-35 fixed zoom @ RX-Z, but at least something to take better advantage of the fov FF offers. Might as well shoot 24 on crop if smaller size is your motivating factor @ convenience to carry? Just seems like such a waste to be @ 35mm only on FF.

Notice how large the new Fuji 23/1.4 is going to be, as well as the current Zeiss 24/1.8, and neither will have quite the background separation of the RX1 (although Fuji should be close.)

I believe that 35mm is Leica's biggest seller, and it is very popular with single lens shooters.

Jun 27, 2013 at 02:03 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1R Full Frame with no AA filter

+1 @ Leica market. That's really the only target I see Sony hitting with this one ... niche with $$$ as a lesser $$ than Leica. Guessing driven @ market share from Zeiss vs. Leica more than Sony vs. CaNikon.

Jun 27, 2013 at 02:19 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1R Full Frame with no AA filter

RustyBug wrote:
+1 @ Leica market. That's really the only target I see Sony hitting with this one ... niche with $$$ as a lesser $$ than Leica. Guessing driven @ market share from Zeiss vs. Leica more than Sony vs. CaNikon.

Yeah, my last 3 cameras, before the RX1, were the X100, X100s and M9+35/2, so the RX1 is right up my alley.

Jun 27, 2013 at 02:47 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1R Full Frame with no AA filter

Gotcha ...

Guess I'll stick with my Kodak SLR/C (FF, non-AA) for a while longer ... a platform that allows me to play with a whole bunch of Alt glass options.

Jun 27, 2013 at 02:59 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1R Full Frame with no AA filter

I think you clearly need to like 35mm to be interested in a camera of this type. When the "premium fixed lens cameras" first appeared (eg x100) I wasn't too really won over by the 35mm focal length. As a similar type of cmaera, I was used to 40/1.7 on my hi-matic as an everywhere lens. However, over the past two years I've used a 35mm lens on my main SLR which has allowed me to appreciate what 35mm is all about. Today, I'd choose that focal length without hesitation if I was going to have a 'one lens cam'.

Jun 27, 2013 at 03:08 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1R Full Frame with no AA filter

ricardovaste wrote:
I think you clearly need to like 35mm to be interested in a camera of this type. When the "premium fixed lens cameras" first appeared (eg x100) I wasn't too really won over by the 35mm focal length. As a similar type of cmaera, I was used to 40/1.7 on my hi-matic as an everywhere lens. However, over the past two years I've used a 35mm lens on my main SLR which has allowed me to appreciate what 35mm is all about. Today, I'd choose that focal length without hesitation if I was going to have a 'one lens cam'.
...Show more

Yeah, I was always a 50 guy, but my M9 started shifting my preference towards 35, for whatever reason.

Jun 27, 2013 at 03:23 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1R Full Frame with no AA filter

Rumor:

RX2 has an M mount, $3000, no AA filters, curved photosites to eliminate purple fringing.

Jun 27, 2013 at 03:37 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1R Full Frame with no AA filter

j.liam wrote:
1++

The add on EVF weights a mere 1.2 ounces, I don't think its even possible to tell from the weight if its on or off its so light.

Additionally, its has the really useful feature of tilting upwards, which is so useful for lower level shots. Its not cheap by any means, but its a pretty handy accessory to the camera.

Jun 27, 2013 at 03:46 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.