Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Some advice on landscape lenses

justindong
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Some advice on landscape lenses

This is particularly in regards to the Swiss Alps, since I'll be in Switzerland till the end of August.

Anyways, I have the Nikon 18-35g, 28-300g, and Samyang 14/2.8. Now the issue is weight. I can comfortably hike with my D600 and 2 out of the 3 lenses, but all three is pushing it. I'd assuming I should only take one of the 14 or 18-35 and definitely take the 28-300.

So far, I haven't brought the 14mm with me and not the 18-35, so I'm not sure how restrictive it would be having only the 14 on the wide end. I will say that the 18-35 has been OUTSTANDING so far, and when I needed to go a bit wider, handheld panorama came out very much to my liking. However, I know the 14 can offer a more unique perspective beisdes just being wider.

I'd assume there will be moments when I'll need something much longer, though I'm not all that experience with landscape photography or the swiss alps. It would just seem a bit silly to take both the 14 and 18-35. I COULD attempt to take all three, but it would be a bit hard on my back. And there'll probably be times when I want to bring a tripod for a sunrise/set and will definitely be limited to only two lenses then.

Any insights?

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:20 AM
MalbikEndar
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Some advice on landscape lenses

I'd take the wideangle zoom and a macro lens.

When concerned about weight- I took the 18-55 and a D40.

Early in the season you will have lots of wildflowers, hence the macro. I didn't see much need for a telephoto, although I got a few snaps of wildlife.

Jun 27, 2013 at 01:00 AM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Some advice on landscape lenses

I suggest taking the 14mm and the 28-300. The 28-300 is remarkably close focusing (18" or so), and can help in some instances.

Jun 27, 2013 at 01:04 AM
SSISteve
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Some advice on landscape lenses

MalbikEndar wrote:

I'd take the wideangle zoom and a macro lens.

When concerned about weight- I took the 18-55 and a D40.

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n610/MalbikEndar/nadelhorn.jpg

Early in the season you will have lots of wildflowers, hence the macro. I didn't see much need for a telephoto, although I got a few snaps of wildlife.

I don't see any flowers up there

Jun 27, 2013 at 02:23 AM
Fingerstyle78
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Some advice on landscape lenses

I live in Alaska. I only have a 14mm Samyang f/2.8 and a 70-300 on the way. Unless I start shooting portraits sometime soon, that's all I really need up here.

Jun 27, 2013 at 03:05 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password