Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Fisher Towers

alatoo60
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fisher Towers

Sharing few remaining pictures from my April trip to Moab.
I had a copy of Laurent Martres book, and used it for the planning, but somehow left it at home, so had to rely exclusively on my memory. Could not recall the exact location recommended for shooting Fisher Towers. so came up with my own. Enjoy

2. Shorter exposure time

3. Final glance

Thanks for looking. C&C very encouraged.

Sasha.

Edited on Jun 26, 2013 at 10:34 PM · View previous versions

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:31 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fisher Towers

By the cattle grate. Like your second best.

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:34 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fisher Towers

Thank you, Ben!

I remembered about cattle grate, went there and could not find the way down other than bushwhacking. But one of the pullouts east from the grate worked just fine.

Sasha.

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fisher Towers

Two classic shots, Sasha, and an excellent mirror image, also.
For the first two, I think I'd have preferred the tree to either be more to the left, or more to the right. For greater separation.
The mirror shot has the separation- and that's what I mean.
Charlie

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:41 PM
deepjay
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fisher Towers

Sasha,
When you do your thing the results are great. You don't have to seek out someone else's --even Laurent's'--tripod holes! I bet he never got a mirror shot like yours.
David

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:14 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fisher Towers

Very nice Sasha!

It's unfortunate that darn tree is right in the middle though.
(wonder why that one is so tall).
Oh well! Still a nice set of shots.

And I agree with the above, the book isn't needed to duplicate tripod holes, it should be a general pointer as needed.

Jun 27, 2013 at 02:24 AM
John Richter
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fisher Towers

Hi Sasha,

Nice trio here. I keep going back and forth between 1 and 2. I'll go with #1. I like the wind blown look across the water. It has a little more contrast as well and lends to more depth IMO. Nice work.

Cool mirror shot, too.

JBR

Jun 27, 2013 at 04:15 AM
Tuan Le
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fisher Towers

Sasha, my favorite is #2 with the shorter exposure time on the water. Not sure why the tree is so much greener on that one though.

Jun 27, 2013 at 07:24 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fisher Towers

alatoo60 wrote:
Thank you, Ben!

I remembered about cattle grate, went there and could not find the way down other than bushwhacking. But one of the pullouts east from the grate worked just fine.

Sasha.

Hey that one from water level must be a low water winter shot. I also scouted it and never found it. I generally stay near the road.

That big rock in his Watchmans shot is also hard to find and not near the bridge. Finding Sand Creek trail to a spot for the Patriarchs required a lot of scouting.

Jun 27, 2013 at 02:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fisher Towers

Last two summers the Tams were so thick it was impossible to reach the water at the cattle guard. Even if you could reach the water the Tams are very large and hang way out into the river. You would need a chain saw to make an opening.

Anyway, nicely done. I prefer the second image. This can be a tough area to shoot. It looks like you got some nice afternoon color without having the foreground become too dark.

BTW, Google maps has a great wide angle street view of the entire road. You can "drive" with Google maps and look at all the scenery including the alignment of the river, Fisher Towers and the LaSal mountains.

Jun 27, 2013 at 02:42 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fisher Towers

Look.
A lot of what was in the book has changed for many locations, not just Fisher Towers. Once, when that book first came out, I went over to Capitol Reef to get a shot of the river leading up along the cliff. I could not even get close to what he had in the book because of the growth. Trees had grown up. Many of his shots are 10 years old or older. It depends on river levels, the tamarisk (like Jim says), general undergrowth, etc. One year you can stand on a rock, the next it's several feet under.

You are artists. Not lemmings! Find your best framing and go for it!!

Jun 27, 2013 at 03:16 PM
J Mosher
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fisher Towers

I was there in April and I actually went 1/2 mile or so past the cattle guard. We went down a pretty steep berm to find a place to shoot. There were a couple rocks near the bank that were barely visable from the road. My shot below.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1213714/0#11566242

Jeremy

Jun 27, 2013 at 03:52 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fisher Towers

Jeremy, really nice shot, thanks for sharing! April - that's about same time I was there. Judging by the tree location, you were shooting a little bit more on the east from where I did.

Jun 27, 2013 at 05:57 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fisher Towers

ckcarr wrote: You are artists. Not lemmings! Find your best framing and go for it!!

Craig, can't agree more, but with me being a single woman traveling, it may be not safe to do lots of exploration on my own (I am already accused by my family on taking too much risk). Having at least some guidance really helps.
Believe it or not, I never try to repeat anybody's image and match the tripod holes, always looking for new composition; besides, with me using completely different camera and lenses than the most it would be very unlikely.

Sasha.

Jun 27, 2013 at 06:03 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fisher Towers

Camperjim wrote:It looks like you got some nice afternoon color without having the foreground become too dark.

Jim, thanks. I spent a lot of time there, first scouting for location, and then simply waiting for the sunset, balancing on one smallish rock and trying to keep tripod balance on the other three There was an interesting phenomenon - some time after sun sank below the mountains, the Towers became very brightly lit, probably through the gap that's not visible in a picture.
Waiting for the water to calm was another story. First, the was lots of wind and no reflections at all, then the water would go calm and mirror-like, and all of a sudden, a large fish would jump out of the river (there is lots of fish!) and cause circles on a surface. I actually have a shot with circles.
It was an enjoyable experience, very peaceful.

Jun 27, 2013 at 06:12 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fisher Towers

Tuan Le wrote: Not sure why the tree is so much greener on that one though.

Tuan, thank you for the comment. As about tree, there was a perfect moment when it was brightly lit, literally glowing. If I could capture it, the tree would be an embellishment rather than nuisance. Unfortunately, there was a strong wind, so I waited - probably, too long, so sun was almost gone from the tree. Perhaps #2 was taken when the tree still had some light on it.

Sasha.

Jun 27, 2013 at 06:15 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fisher Towers

Lovely set Sasha. I do like the longer exposure more.

Jun 27, 2013 at 08:13 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fisher Towers

AMaji, thank you!

Jul 04, 2013 at 07:37 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password