Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

Snopchenko
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

As usual, my 1D Mark II N, 16-35 and 70-200 are going, whatever the destination. The third lens will probably be the 24-85 - on all past vacations since I got this gear, I was choosing between that and the 14, and every time (except one) only one went with me (though in China in 2011, it was the 50/1.8 instead).
It would be nice to get a second camera, but unless the newspaper loans me the 1D Mark III again, it's unlikely.
Speaking of vacations... I really need to work on where and when I'm going, but I already know what gear will be with me.

Jun 27, 2013 at 03:41 PM
pKai
• • •
p.2 #2 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

anscochrome wrote:
Heading up to Upper Peninsula of Michigan starting tomorrow. I am taking everything (18 lenses plus Bogan 3040 Studio tripod). That is why I like to drive to destinations-nothing needs to be left behind-modern age weight wussies be damned (no M43/Nex crap for me)

+1

I am the same..... Additionally, when flying, I budget in the excess baggage fees.

The only thing that may get left behind are big whites when the trip 100% will never call for one. Everything else goes in Pelican cases. I then have the flexibility to build a kit appropriate for every situation I will encounter. Things I don't need for the day's shooting (most of it) stays behind in the hotel/car/camp, whatever....

Nothing worse than being 5,000 miles away from the lens you absolutely need but didn't think you would.

Jun 27, 2013 at 03:53 PM
Tenn.Jer
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

I moved my oldest daughter from college in Illinois to her summer job in Yellowstone earlier this month, and turned it into a family vacation with the other two teenagers and spouse flying out to meet us there.

Since I was driving, I had no constraints on gear, and took A LOT. Too much, even...

A large backpack had my 500L with both extenders, 70-200 2.8 II, 100L macro, 50L, spotting scope, T4i as backup body, and various accessories - filters, sidekick, lightning trigger, chargers, etc...A smaller pack held 5DIII, 24-105L, and 70-300L.

I couldn't decide between taking the 70-300 or the 70-200 2.8, so I took both; the 2.8 lens is probably my favorite lens, and I anticipated needing it in shadowy forests and dawn/dusk shots. It never left the bag, partly because we always had bright sunny days, partly because mounting extenders was a pain, and mostly because the 70-300L is a pretty darn good lens...I even used it for some of my wildflower shots, but it was usually worth it to swap in the 100L macro; the IS was a huge benefit on the trails when I didn't want to haul along a tripod, and on roadside turnouts when I jumped out to take in a field of flowers...

On a couple of short hikes I carried a tripod (medium-duty Gitzo 3541) but never took it off, and thereafter left it in the vehicle. It was indispensable, however, for sunrise in the Tetons, extremely long ranges in the Hayden and Lamar Valleys, and for mounting the spotting scope.

I've dreamed for several years now of taking my 500mm to Yellowstone, but I found that either the wildlife was right next to the road (in easy reach of the 70-300), or it was two or three miles away, and even a 2x extender and the resulting 1000mm made the wolves into little more than gray dots with legs...of course I took the pictures anyway; if for no other reason than to help me remember the mornings we saw them...I did use it some to bring bighorns, R.M. sheep, osprey nests, and the like into range, but at times even my indulgent and supportive wife grew tired of waiting for me to assemble, use, and break down my gear...watching the ospreys trade off egg-sitting and fishing in the Canyon was thrilling, both for me and the grateful tourists I let see through the viewfinder...

The 50L was used only for town, restaurant, and other indoor and night time snapshots...

I really believe I could have been fine with only the 24-105, the 70-300, and the 100L macro (love those wildflowers!), but I'm not sure I'd think differently if (when) I drive out there again. I mean, some lenses are very specialized, and if I don't have them with me when those very special circumstances come up, then why have them at all? Of course, driving so far isn't usually an option, but it was a necessity this time.

Going through several thousand files (and this was a "family", not a "photographic" trip), I'm finding that 75% are deletable, 20% are "snapshots", good only for memories' sake, 4.75% are decent "keepers", good for internet display, and .25% are "good photography", worthy of printing and hanging...and I'll probably do that with about a half-dozen, for gifts and such...that's about what I expected for my level of ability...

Jerry

Jun 27, 2013 at 04:46 PM
gocolts
• • •
p.2 #4 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

I have an interesting combo of destinations this November. Going to Maui for 10 days, and then stopping in Austin on the way back to attend the Formula 1 Grand Prix. Plenty of opportunities for pictures, tough part is what equipment to take as obviously the needs in both places are much different, yet I like to keep things as simple and lightweight as I can, as these aren't "photography trips" but rather trips with my wife, even though we both love to take pictures. Good thing is, I've been to both places before, so I think I have an idea of what I need/don't need. Plenty of trial & error in the past.

7D, with small lightweight CF tripod and filters for long-exposure shots
Canon 15-85mm (walkaround lens for Maui)
Canon 70-300L (some Maui, mostly F1 race)
Canon 400mm DO (F1 race, unless we see a dolphin from the hotel balcony ).

And....I think that's about it besides memory cards and I'm sure I'll sneak my 1.4TC into the bag. My wife has an SL1 with a 40mm pancake that she'll take for her purse if we go out in the evening, but otherwise I'm pretty sure we can do the whole 2 week trip with that kit in a 24L hiking backpack.

Edited on Jun 27, 2013 at 06:40 PM · View previous versions

Jun 27, 2013 at 05:34 PM
Edward Rotberg
• • • •
p.2 #5 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

My wife & I will be going to Alaska for Grizzlies and Puffins in August (photo trip). Taking (all Canon unless specified):

1Dx
5D III
7D
500 f/4L IS
400 f/5.6L
300 f/2.8L IS
70-200 f/2.8L IS MkII
24-105 f/4L IS
Tammy 28-75
50 f/1.4
100 f/2.8 Macro
Sigma 15 fisheye
tripods, flashes, cards, cable releases, filters, batteries, etc.
waders
insect repellent
laptops
Buzz-off clothing

Some of this will be shipped ahead and shipped back to make travel easier.

Jun 27, 2013 at 05:37 PM
ScooberJake
• • •
p.2 #6 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

I'm in the "less is more" camp. Planning a trip to southern Germany and northern Italy for October. I'm sure something longer would come in handy a few times, but I really don't want to deal with the weight and worry of my Drainpipe for just a few shots. Plus, this will be our first major trip bringing the baby along, so space and weight will surely be at a premium. Not sure whether to add anything from the "potentials" list below or not.

Planned:
5DII
24-105 (to be acquired)

Potential:
17-40L
35L
17-18mm prime (to be acquired)

Jun 27, 2013 at 06:00 PM
hsk06
• • •
p.2 #7 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

I still feel the pain of losing my T2i+135L right in front of Waikiki beach in may 2011. I was bringing with me the t2i+24Lii+135L. Luckily the thief stole it at the end of my vacation and I already transferred most of the photos to my laptop.

We are heading to Puerto Vallarta shortly and don't really know what should I bring with me this time. I can go ultra light with just the t4i+18-55 kit lens, or can go all the way with 5dii+24-70ii+ either a normal or tele prime

Jun 27, 2013 at 06:05 PM
stanj
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

I am going with wife and two small kids to Guatemala and Belize. Not sure what to take. The SL1 with kit lens for sure. Then undecided between 1DX and 5D3, probably 5D3. As for lenses, 24-70/II, 16-35/II, 70-300LIS, 100 macro, and maybe the 17TSE for the ruins. Small tripod buried in the bag.

Suggestions and opinions are invited

Jun 27, 2013 at 06:17 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.2 #9 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

Well, I'm sitting in the airport in Denver waiting on my next flight. I have my camera gear with me, except for the tripod which is in a checked bag. I'll be driving from Grand Junction, Co to Haines, Ak over the next nine days. Then it's eleven days on the Tatshenshini/Alsek Rivers. The gear that made the trip is the same gear I usually take. A 5D3, 16-35L, 24-105L, and the 70-300L. Some extra batteries, a few filters and a S100. I took the same kit down the Colorado through the Grand Canyon last month. The gear covers a wide range is is pretty portable.

Jun 27, 2013 at 07:48 PM
carnac
• •
p.2 #10 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

Going to the Pittsburgh area for a family vacation. About a week long trip.

Plan for now is: 5DII, 16-35II, 24-70L, 50L, 100L, and 100-400L.

I'd like to cut out a lens or two to save weight.

- First to stay behind will be the 16-35II (I can always do some stitching with a longer lens).

- Second on the list to drop is the 100 macro.

- I really want the 50L for people and campfire shots. The 100-400L should be good for boating and water skiing. I might sub my 24-105L for the 27-70L to save some weight and get the longer FL along with IS.

This is a good thread. It would be interesting to get some post-trip info from those that posted --- things like did you take the right lenses? what percentage did you use each lens? etc.

Jim

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

15Bit
• • • •
p.2 #11 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

Doing a tour of family (parents and in-laws), which involves some international travelling. Shooting is mainly family and flowers in the garden when I'm bored. So 5D, 17-40mm f/4, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/2.8, macro tubes and a 90mm f/3.5 Voigtlander APO Lanthar I bought when I arrived. For walkaround I have my Fuji X10 too.

After 1 week here I have used the 70-200, the voigtlander and the Fuji X10.....

Jun 28, 2013 at 08:09 AM
NigelA

p.2 #12 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

Next week we have a family trip to Costa Rica. Planning to take 1Dx with 24-70 and 5D3 with 100-400. Not sure whether the 17-40 and 100 macro will make it or not.

Main concern is keeping it all dry! I intend to take two holster bags inside a North Face duffel bag.

Far fewer packing dilemmas when driving, but the discipline of having to decide is good!

Jun 29, 2013 at 06:20 AM
bcguy
• •
p.2 #13 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

I'll be taking all of my modest gear collection. It's a family vacation, but that's the only kind of vacation there is for me. That means it's also the best opportunity for me to make photos that I'll get too. I'm not overburdened with gear anyway, so it's not a hardship.

Jul 01, 2013 at 04:08 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.2 #14 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

carnac wrote:
... It would be interesting to get some post-trip info from those that posted --- things like did you take the right lenses? what percentage did you use each lens?

Well I can add my $.02 FWIW I visited Greece and Turkey last spring, Costa Rica last fall, and Nepal and Bhutan this spring. I took my 5D(2 or 3) 24-105, 17-40, and 70-200 f4 on the Greece and Nepal trips. And took 5D2, 7D, 24-105, 100L, and 100-400 to Costa Rica.

The 24-105 takes 80 to 90% of my keepers with the 100-400 coming in 2nd (more tries per keeper). On the two spring trips I found I didn't use the 17-40 or the 70-200 very much. The 17-40 doesn't have IS and needs to be stopped down to f8 or more and so needs a tripod. The opportunity for this much time is limited especially when you can snap a panorama sequence fairly quickly with the 24-105. The 70-200 is great for street and people but you either have to have it mounted losing the wide end or you change lenses a lot. Beyond that, I find that if I need more than 100mm I usually need more than 200 so the 100-400 is the more appropriate. There is often at least some birdlife around the lodges and the 70-200 just won't cut it. The 100-400 can do everything the 70-200 can do nearly as well. The lens is a beast but weighs just 3.7 oz more than the 17-40, 70-200 combo. So, from now on, if I take a 2nd lens, it will be the 100-400.

For Costa Rica I took two bodies. This was nice but a heavy load. If you are doing wildlife tours two bodies is great since you can capture wildlife with one and landscapes/people with the other. Around the lodges in Costa Rica I found the pace casual enough that I picked a camera and lens and went out for a walk then choose another combo for another walk. Now that the 5D3 can do f8 the 7D could have been replaced with a 1.4x which can go in checked baggage since it has no moving parts.

The 100L was great for extreme close-ups of the frogs and butterflies at the La Paz Waterfall Gardens in Costa Rica. I'd probably take it again. But, the DOF is really narrow so only partial frogs, etc were in focus. I could do nearly as well with the 24-105, especially with a bit of extension. I usually take extension tubes, they're light. I might instead try my 35 IS next time.

The G1X is a great supplemental camera. My wife takes it. We're currently experimenting with an SL1 kit for her to see if the IQ compares to the G1X.

These are my experiences. I find there are three kinds of photographers. Those where a P&S is good enough. Those who want what decent equipment can produce. And those who are only satisfied with a really fast prime, a tilt/shift or a big white. I'm definitely in the middle category! Hope this is useful.

Jul 01, 2013 at 06:08 PM
jshalvorsen

p.2 #15 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

On my first week of vacation to our cabin at the coast of Norway I'll bring a bit of everything:

5Dii
70-200L f2.8 IS ii
2x TC iii

Fujifilm X100S
Fujifilm X-E1
XF 35mm 1.4
I'll also borrow a XF 14mm for this first part of my vacation.
A few speedlights + triggers and some modifiers

On my second trip wich will be to Marbella, Spain I'm only bringing the Fuji gear and a speedlight + trigger(cybersync) for some high speed sync action. Trying to travel as light as possible.

Jul 02, 2013 at 09:35 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

jshalvorsen wrote:
On my second trip wich will be to Marbella, Spain I'm only bringing the Fuji gear and a speedlight + trigger(cybersync) for some high speed sync action. Trying to travel as light as possible.

I took my X100 and X-Pro 1 with XF 14/2.8, 35/1.4, and 55-200/3.5-4.8 OIS for vacation to Boulder CO last week. THe 55-200mm is very nice.

Jul 02, 2013 at 10:08 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.2 #17 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

I'm going to Mexico in two days and bringing only a junky P&S
I'm going to Vegas in August and only bringing a junky P&S
I"m going to Hawaii in September and only bringing a junky P&S

My conclusion is that I need a better P&S RX100 II please

Jul 02, 2013 at 10:18 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

The RX100 isn't half bad.

Jul 02, 2013 at 10:38 PM
WebDog
• • •
p.2 #19 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

Standard packing:
5D3+charger+CF's, 24-70/2.8II and 70-200/2.8II

Everyting else is optional...

Jul 02, 2013 at 11:07 PM
garyroach
• • •
p.2 #20 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

I'll be heading to Alaska for two weeks at the end of August and I think I've settled on what to take. I'll be taking my 5DII and 7D along with a 300 f/4 IS, 24-105, and 70-200 f/4 IS. Of course, I'll need a travel tripod, filters, rain protection, bug spray, etc. I thought about renting the 100-400, which I owned a long time ago, but I just don't enjoy shooting the lens because of the design. I'll also be leaving the 2.8 lenses at home because of the weight. It would be nice to take a 500mm lens, but it needs a separate case just for itself. Anyway, I believe I can get by with what I'm taking and it should be great with two bear viewing trips, a glacier cruise, a sealife cruise, flightseeing with a glacier landing on Denali, and a bus trip through Denali.

I also plan to take a small waterproof shockproof Nikon AW100, an extremely lightweight Canon video camera, and a GoPro camera that I like to mount on the inside of the windshield.

Edited on Jul 03, 2013 at 07:01 PM · View previous versions

Jul 03, 2013 at 12:27 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password