Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

Planning a summer trip or vacation? If so, what are you taking?

It certainly depends on whether it is a family vacation or a "photo-safari".

I've got a trip coming up with my wife to visit family in Washington state, near Mt. Rainier and other areas. Mostly it will be my wife, brother and sister-in-law. I'm planning for family candids and general sigthseeing, not self-assigned photo project.

You may have different goals for your trip.

How about sharing your plans on what you plan to do and the gear you intend to take, then later come back and show us a few shots of how it all went?

Have a great summer vacation!

Jun 26, 2013 at 09:06 PM
Sheldon N
• • •
p.1 #2 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

Full blown family vacation right now... traveling by air so limited to one carry on backpack. I brought 1DX, 50 f/1.2, 24-70 II, 70-200 II, 600EX + STE3RT, as well as an X100S and a Hasselblad 500cm w/80mm (just for grins).

X100s has gotten the most use, with some shots on the 1DX too. Haven't broken out the Hasselblad yet, but I've got some portraits planned.

Jun 26, 2013 at 09:27 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #3 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

Funny you should ask. I'm packing tonight for a month long trip through the Canadian Rockies to Haines, Ak. Once there we will drive back to the Yukon to launch on an eleven day raft trip. So far I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what to bring for gear. I'm weight and volume limited so it might be less than more. Probably the 5D3 over the 1Dx, 16-35L and 70-300L. Debating the 40 pancake over the 24-105L (though the zoom is probably going). I'll take a travel tripod. I'll also have a S100.

Jun 26, 2013 at 09:38 PM
outlawyer
• • •
p.1 #4 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

6D and Drainpipe, 17-40, and either 50 1.4 or 85L comprise my travel kit. All bases covered. I don't really like traveling with the 85, though. It's worth more than my car.

Jun 26, 2013 at 09:45 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

Very interesting!

I see some strong common points between Andy and Sheldon.

I have just finished packing too.

I'm taking the 5D2 without the grip, plus the little G10, which so far, is a similar small sensor "P&S" to what you guys are taking. Lenses are simple too: 24-105 IS and 50L, plus the tiny 270EX II flash. No tripod -- if I can't prop the camera on something and use the timer, or catch it wide open with the 50, it's not on my agenda.

I've decided to again take the Lowepro Passport Sling that I've so enjoyed for walking around Yosemite and keeping my gear-lust in line. Everything fits in there easily, along with a couple extra batteries and charger for the 5D2, plus a B+W 77 CPL.

Jun 26, 2013 at 09:47 PM
rebelshooter
• • •
p.1 #6 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

Great idea for a thread. I am leaving for Yellowstone and the Black Hills in about 3 weeks and am taking the following
6D , gripped 7D, 17-40, 24-105, 100-400, 35, 50, 430EX
Still debating on the 70-200 II. Hate to leave it at home but thinking I have everything covered so save the weight and space and leave it home. My wife will have here XT with 18-55 and 70-300, and my daughter will have here T3 with 18-55 and 55-200. Probably a couple of point and shoots in the mix as well.

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Foskram

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

Heading off to Kruger in 3 and a bit weeks. 7D, 1Diii, 35 F2, 24-105, 100-400 and 120-300 2.8OS. 270EX and 550EX. THink Tank Hard Drive and flying with an airline who allow a bit more carry on luggage!

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

Gunzorro wrote:
Planning a summer trip or vacation? If so, what are you taking?

It certainly depends on whether it is a family vacation or a "photo-safari".

I've got a trip coming up with my wife to visit family in Washington state, near Mt. Rainier and other areas. Mostly it will be my wife, brother and sister-in-law. I'm planning for family candids and general sigthseeing, not self-assigned photo project.

You may have different goals for your trip.

How about sharing your plans on what you plan to do and the gear you intend to take, then later come back and show us a few
...Show more

I usually take the 24-105L IS and my 5D3. That's it. If I know that there will be a chance for to me to make some nice landscapes I might add the 24TSE II and/or the 17-40L and a few filters + a tripod.

No need for more.

I spent a week on a photo trip to Glacier National park and only took the 24mm TS-E II, the 40mm pancake and the 70-200 f4L. I know, on a trip like to a place like that one is tempted to pack every L lens one can get ones hands on. But the reality is that going lighter is better.

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

I almost grabbed the 17 TSE with 1.4X, but, I went, "Why?"

I'm more likely to get a shot of family at a restaurant. I can stitch a pano from hand held shots and get as wide as I want.

Someday, I'll take a trip to Yosemite and only bring the TSE lenses. . . and a tripod.

Jun 27, 2013 at 01:03 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #10 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

I'm right there with you on the 5D3 + 24-105. But you forgot critters! Put the 100-400 beast somewhere where you can reach it when necessary - and maybe the 1.4x for it.

I should be receiving my SL1 kit 18-55 + 55-250 on Friday as a hiking kit. 2 1/4 lbs 28-400 mm range. I was worried and 've been reassured about IQ, now I'm worried I won't want to carry the 100-400 ever again. Its good to worry.

Jun 27, 2013 at 01:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

timpdx
• • •
p.1 #11 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

Short trip to SLC via Pink Coral Sand Dunes and perhaps a night a Bryce (been before 3 times, but I am open to suggestions between southern UT and the SLC area where I need to be Sat. afternoon) before work related stuff later in the weekend, at least this covers the cost of the trip and hotels. Got myself about 2.5 shooting days. Leaving bright and early tomorrow at 5 or 6AM with 6D, 17-40, 24-105, Tamron 70-300VC and Sigma DP2M for B&W work.

Jun 27, 2013 at 01:48 AM
Chris Anthony
• •
p.1 #12 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

Taking a cruise to Alaska at the end of August. I bought a 100-400 and 17-55 this year for this trip (the 100-400 especially) I'm taking the following, 7D, 20D as backup, 17-55, 100-400, and various filters. I'm leaving my 70-200 F4 at home and I haven't decided if ill bring my 100 macro, and or my Tokina 12-24. I've been throwing the idea around for a monopod also, don't have one as of yet. I'm open to suggestions if I'm missing anything.

Edit to add, I also have a 50 1.8 ill probably throw in the bag or luggage

Jun 27, 2013 at 02:51 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

my family travel kit has been whatever version of 5d I have, 24-105, and a fast prime (35 or 50 1.4). If I bring a 3rd lens, its the 16-35II, which is not only my most used landscape lens, but my favorite video lens, and big group/Hotel room lens.
I have a light traveler tripod that I have been taking with me more frequently.
If its a dedicated photo trip, I may take a little more. when I went to Yosemite last month, I also took my 24 tseII and 70-300L. the tse got some use, and the 70-300 not much. I also took the 24 1.4 II to do some star scapes, but got no used. my 24-105 ended up getting the most used, though it was my least heralded lens.

Jun 27, 2013 at 03:39 AM
anscochrome
• •
p.1 #14 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

Heading up to Upper Peninsula of Michigan starting tomorrow. I am taking everything (18 lenses plus Bogan 3040 Studio tripod). That is why I like to drive to destinations-nothing needs to be left behind-modern age weight wussies be damned (no M43/Nex crap for me)

Jun 27, 2013 at 03:45 AM
robbymack
• •
p.1 #15 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

No real travel plans here due to a recent job change and no vacation time saved up yet. although I do have a late season golf trip to pebble on the books. Doubt I'll even bother with the dslr there. iPhone will do. Otherwise probably a weekend trip or two to the coast and napa are likely in store. I'm all about the one lens solution when I travel so its 5diii and Tammy 24-70 to me although I've been toying with renting a 24-105 for a trip just because the added range is nice. If I stumble upon a sub $600 used version I may just splurge on it for more regular use.

To the OP, good topic dude. Love to hear what plans folks have for the summer and the gear envy that goes along with those planning safaris.

Jun 27, 2013 at 04:25 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

Thanks Robby!

It's cool to hear who's going minimalist and why, and who's going gonzo-nutso -- and why they want it all.

I love hearing the destinations for ideas of future trips.

Thanks all, and keep it coming. Looking forward to some of the images, and explanations of use of the gear like Kevin did.

Jun 27, 2013 at 04:49 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

I'm on vacation in Boulder CO, at the moment. I'm on an all-Fujifilm gear fest; X100, X-Pro 1, XF 14/2.8, 35/1.4, 60/2.4, and 55-200/3.5-4.8 OIS. The whole setup weighs about the same as my 1DX and 24-70/2.8L II.

I posted a sample image on a different forum.

Jun 27, 2013 at 04:52 AM
Mpking
• •
p.1 #18 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

Nothing too exciting for me. Renting a beach house on the Washington coast for a few days with extended family. I'll bring a 5D2, my tokina 17mm f/3.5 atx-pro, 24L, 50 1.8, and a tripod which will probably sit in my trunk the whole time. I'll be looking mostly for FPJ type shots but maybe I'll sneak away to do a landscape shot or two.

Jun 27, 2013 at 09:00 AM
tsdevine
• • •
p.1 #19 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

Heading to Maine for my family vacation and staying along the coast. Bringing my 5D II, Zeiss 15mm, Zeiss 21mm, Canon 40mm STM, Sigma DP1M, Sigma DP2M and Voigtlander 125mm. In another bag I'll have my old 5D as a backup, along with my 70-200 f/4 IS for when I need a telephoto. And of course a couple tripods, bunch of filters, etc.

I have a couple more primes (Canon 28mm IS, Sigma 35mm f/1.4) but my inclination right now is to not make my backpack a boat anchor and rely on the DP1M/DP2M + the 40mm STM to cover that range. (I want to have the DP2M with me at least.....so why not take both.)

Shooting predominantly landscapes and maybe a few macros.

-Tim

Jun 27, 2013 at 09:58 AM
robstein
• • •
p.1 #20 · Summer Vacation Gear Fest

Not heading out right now (not long back from a long Oz trip actually) but travel kit is always similar :-

* 5D2 and the F4 set => 17-40, 24-105, 70-200
* Sometimes will add the 7D as backup
* Sometimes include a fast prime 50f1.4 or 85f1.8 but not the big heavy ones
* Sometimes throw in a 580EX
* Sometimes a big tripod and sometimes a little table top one and find a wall :-)

I almost never carry it all.... usually pick single body & 1-2 others at the start of the day - so if I take the full tripod I take a single lens.

Jun 27, 2013 at 03:30 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password