Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

Archive 2013 · D800 and "D" lenses
  
 
DGC1
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D800 and "D" lenses


I have a Nikon 20-35 f 2.8 D and a Nikon 35-70 f2.8 D. Would I better better off selling these two and picking up a Nikon 28-70 f2.8 for use with my D800? I'm not interested in any third party lenses so please don't recommend any. I'm also not interested in spending the extra money for a Nikon 24-70f2.8.


Jun 26, 2013 at 09:02 PM
AMaji
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D800 and "D" lenses


I think the D lenses may be pushed beyond their limits with the D800, that is of course assuming you are pixel peeping. If you don't want to get the 24-70, how about the 24-120/4 instead of the 28-70? Again, this assumes you don't need f/2.8, and the VR should help during hand held shots in low light.

Anyway, to answer your original question, I believe it is better that you replace the D lens with the beast aka 28-70.



Jun 26, 2013 at 09:07 PM
sonofjesse2010
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D800 and "D" lenses


IF your happy with your current pictures I would say no. Let your eye be the judge.




Jun 26, 2013 at 09:22 PM
Mark_L
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D800 and "D" lenses


It is a case by case really but newer lenses pretty much always outperform the older ones. I have the Nikon 35-70 f2.8 D, it was not brilliant on my D700 and on the D800 is relegated to location reference/ebay pictures.

If you are not interested in nikon's best lenses or third party alternatives I'm not totally sure why you blew so much money on a D800. At least look at nikon's the 28, 50 and 85 1.8 lenses.



Jun 26, 2013 at 09:35 PM
HauntedHat
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D800 and "D" lenses


I guess I had a pretty good copy of a Nikon 35-70 f2.8 D, I mean, I don't have a D800, but I was never let down. I'm with Sonofjesse2010 in this one, if you like your pictures, keep them. The law of diminishing returns is strong on lenses, so I really doubt you'll see a world of difference, but that's just my humble opinion.

It's easy to get consumed by Gear Acquisition Syndrome, because you'll always chase some kind of magical lens properties that you'll never get, simply because they can't live up to your expectations. I've been there.



Jun 26, 2013 at 10:18 PM
DGC1
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D800 and "D" lenses


To responders 1, 2 & 4: thanks. To #3:Mark, you have no clue what other lenses I have so your remark is uncalled for. The other thing you don't know is that almost every person I have spoken to that has owned or had access to both the 24-70 and he 28-70 agree the only real difference is 4mm. Yes, they also say that the 24-70 is "tad" sharper but ALL agree that IQ is identical.

You prove the point that it is impossible to post on this forum without at least one person making disparaging and totally uncalled for remarks that help no one.



Jun 26, 2013 at 10:45 PM
RRRoger
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D800 and "D" lenses


DGC1 wrote:
I have a Nikon 20-35 f 2.8 D and a Nikon 35-70 f2.8 D. Would I better better off selling these two and picking up a Nikon 28-70 f2.8 for use with my D800? I'm not interested in any third party lenses so please don't recommend any. I'm also not interested in spending the extra money for a Nikon 24-70f2.8.


Yes,

the 28-70 is better than the other two put together and I have never had a compelling reason to upgrade mine to a 24-70. Perhaps because I have a 14-24.

That said, I use my 28-300 at least 100 times more often.
but, I will leave it on the D800 and put my 28-70 on the e to compare right now!


Edited on Jun 26, 2013 at 11:30 PM · View previous versions



Jun 26, 2013 at 11:12 PM
DGC1
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D800 and "D" lenses


Roger,

Understood on all counts. I have a 14-24 ax well which is one reason why I "blew so much money" on my D800!



Jun 26, 2013 at 11:24 PM
DGC1
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D800 and "D" lenses


HauntedHat,

Trading two lenses for one that is hopefully (and most likely) superior is the main reason in this case.



Jun 26, 2013 at 11:27 PM
RRRoger
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D800 and "D" lenses


Well, I just took my D800 out to shoot a little Orange tree at 70mm f/5 with the 28-300
and compared the hand held 28-70 at 70mm f/5 on the e.
It was sharper, but why did I buy an e?
Otherwise not a huge difference.
The f/2.8 is obviously going to be faster and better in low light and that is why I kept and use it.
The 28-300 is pretty good at 28 and better from 71-300
and that is why it is (1 or both copies) on my cameras most of the time.



Jun 26, 2013 at 11:57 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Stdon
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D800 and "D" lenses


FWIW I use several "D" lenses on my D800. A 20mm 2.8, 28/105 3.5/4.5 and the 28/70. All are great even the 50 1..2 Ai.


Jun 27, 2013 at 04:22 AM
mshi
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D800 and "D" lenses


DGC1 wrote:
I have a Nikon 20-35 f 2.8 D and a Nikon 35-70 f2.8 D. Would I better better off selling these two and picking up a Nikon 28-70 f2.8 for use with my D800? I'm not interested in any third party lenses so please don't recommend any. I'm also not interested in spending the extra money for a Nikon 24-70f2.8.


What you say in your images is far important than what you use to create them in the first place. All lens are great lenses if you know what you're doing. Cindy Sherman's prints can be sold at millions of dollars a pop but she never talked about the lenses or cameras she used because hardware is NOT important.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8056/8115288234_51785af6bc_o.jpg



Jun 27, 2013 at 04:31 AM
DGC1
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D800 and "D" lenses


And where did this come from?? My original question had to do with EQUIPMENT, not art. Try to contribute something to the topic at hand instead of posting a pointless image of what you think is "art". This is a NIKON forum, not an art forum.

By the way, if you're trying to say something with this image, I'd suggest you go back to school and take a course or two in communication as this one says absolutely nothing to me.



Jun 27, 2013 at 11:56 AM
RRRoger
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D800 and "D" lenses


Mark_L wrote:
It is a case by case really but newer lenses pretty much always outperform the older ones. I have the Nikon 35-70 f2.8 D, it was not brilliant on my D700 and on the D800 is relegated to location reference/ebay pictures.

If you are not interested in nikon's best lenses or third party alternatives I'm not totally sure why you blew so much money on a D800. At least look at nikon's the 28, 50 and 85 1.8 lenses.



Not sure about the original poster, because he evidently never used a 28-70,
I would not trade mine for these three primes and the 35-70.
Not saying the primes do not have their place, just not in my bag.
I've had 4 different 50s and always end up getting rid of them.
For me, only the 85 f/1.4 was superior and then only for Portraits.
The 28-70 is much more versitle, especially hand held,
I do not like to zoom with my feet even when things are not in the way.




Jun 27, 2013 at 01:02 PM
molson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D800 and "D" lenses


DGC1 wrote:
I have a Nikon 20-35 f 2.8 D and a Nikon 35-70 f2.8 D. Would I better better off selling these two and picking up a Nikon 28-70 f2.8 for use with my D800?


That depends on how you define "better off"... but I would certainly recommend the AF-S 28-70 f2.8 over the 35-70 f2.8, assuming you find one that has a healthy SWM motor.

As for giving up the 20-24mm range, that's a tougher call.



Jun 27, 2013 at 02:35 PM
RRRoger
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D800 and "D" lenses


molson wrote:
As for giving up the 20-24mm range, that's a tougher call.



Everyone needs to read the entire thread (including myself) before posting.
He has that range more than covered with his 14-24.




Jun 27, 2013 at 04:06 PM
mshi
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D800 and "D" lenses


DGC1 wrote:
And where did this come from?? My original question had to do with EQUIPMENT, not art. Try to contribute something to the topic at hand instead of posting a pointless image of what you think is "art". This is a NIKON forum, not an art forum.

By the way, if you're trying to say something with this image, I'd suggest you go back to school and take a course or two in communication as this one says absolutely nothing to me.


I thought you might have something to say in your images since what i said was, "What you say in your images is far important than what you use to create them in the first place. All lens are great lenses if you know what you're doing." If you don't have anything to say in your images, just ignore my comments instead.

BTW the above image is a image of Cindy Sherman at work. That's it.



Jun 27, 2013 at 05:38 PM
kendalltristan
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D800 and "D" lenses


I know this is hideously immature of me, but the only thing I've been able to think while reading this entire thread is that the D800 must be a prude because it doesn't love "the D".

I'll show myself out.



Jun 27, 2013 at 05:48 PM
Jim8EL
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D800 and "D" lenses


DGC1 wrote:
And where did this come from?? My original question had to do with EQUIPMENT, not art. Try to contribute something to the topic at hand instead of posting a pointless image of what you think is "art". This is a NIKON forum, not an art forum.

By the way, if you're trying to say something with this image, I'd suggest you go back to school and take a course or two in communication as this one says absolutely nothing to me.


Little quick to anger aren't you. That's twice in a one page thread you've lambasted someone for some "perceived" insult or off topic post. You asked for opinion and that comes in all forms. Sometimes useful sometimes not. Feel free to "hide" me...I've done that for you.



Jun 27, 2013 at 06:17 PM
DGC1
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D800 and "D" lenses


I am not angry. I sometimes foolishly expect on topic answers and help when I make a request. Just because its an accepted part of posting on the net, it doesn't mean I have to like it. If people would simply read and then respond to what the OP says, it would make things much more pleasant for us all.

As for hiding me? You've obviously mistaken me for someone who cares.



Jun 27, 2013 at 06:49 PM
1
       2       end




FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password