Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Monopod Help for 300 2.8

lowa2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Monopod Help for 300 2.8

Will Patterson wrote:
I am 6'1" and with the lens foot as mentioned already, the height is fine. There have been plenty of times where I've had to lower it a little to get the eye piece where I want.

I'm 6'5" and still need to lower it. I have the exact same cheapo pod!

Jun 26, 2013 at 04:53 PM
Steven Campbel
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Monopod Help for 300 2.8

There is a Manfrotto 680 available locally for $85 and a Gitzo GM2541 for $300. I wonder if the Gitzo is $215 better? Manfrotto rated at 10kg, Gitzo rated at 12kg.

Jun 26, 2013 at 05:22 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.2 #3 · Monopod Help for 300 2.8

Kirk MPA-2 Monopod Head

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=849711&is=REG&Q=&A=details

This works well and allows quick disconnect from the mono-pod.

Jun 26, 2013 at 05:28 PM
martines34
• • • •
p.2 #4 · Monopod Help for 300 2.8

Expensive is a relative term.

I buy a lot of used stuff - including cars.

Look into past FM offerings for a used Bushhawk.

No more expensive then a monopod and far more versatile.

Much preferred to shooting BIF then a dedicated tripod. Much easier to acquire the moving object.

Jun 26, 2013 at 05:42 PM
outlawyer
• • •
p.2 #5 · Monopod Help for 300 2.8

lowa2 wrote:
I use an acratech long lens head on my monopod with my big lenses. I then use my BlackRapid Sport strap with an acratech swift clamp to make sure I don't drop the heavy lenses. I do this with both the Sigma 120-300/2.8 OS and Canon 500/4IS.

I then install the pod into a belt support (in this case a cheapo cell phone holder I got at home depot).

And this is what it looks like:

http://lowa2.smugmug.com/Other/Monopod-Setup/i-kQn4T9q/0/XL/pod-1-XL.jpg

It wasn't cheap to build this setup, but it saves my back and I didn't want to hang a 6000$ lens off a cheap no name
...Show more

That's freakin awesome

Jun 26, 2013 at 06:03 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · Monopod Help for 300 2.8

I use a monopod frequently and really hated screwing my rig directly on the head. A real time waster when you need to disengage from the monopod for a free standing shot. For horizontal shooting--track sports or surfing--I prefer an plain Acra clamp on the head. Simple and quick to mount/dismount. I have a Sunwayfoto monopod tilt head I can quickly mount on the clamp but I find twisting and titling the stick directly better for action. Where the tilt head proved essential was shooting in churches and museums with tripod bans. The tilt was great for ceiling and wall murals.

Jun 26, 2013 at 08:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Monkey Falls
• •
p.2 #7 · Monopod Help for 300 2.8

Steven Campbel wrote:
There is a Manfrotto 680 available locally for $85 and a Gitzo GM2541 for $300. I wonder if the Gitzo is $215 better? Manfrotto rated at 10kg, Gitzo rated at 12kg.

I don't know if the Gitzo is worth the price difference, but I can tell you that I have used it regularly for 5-6 years in rain, snow, sand, ocean salt water, 10 degrees below zero to 120 degrees above and had no issues with it, ever.

Jun 26, 2013 at 09:55 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.2 #8 · Monopod Help for 300 2.8

Steven Campbel wrote:
I just picked up a Canon 300 2.8 IS Ver. I. It seems like a lens you can hand hold, but I also hear it's useful to have a monopod. I would also like a tripod and head for this rig, but I know that is going to really cost me. The tripod and head I have now are not really up to the task of this new lens and a 7D. However, perhaps a monopod would be an affordable start.

My question is, what am I looking for here? I know nothing about them, and even less about what
...Show more

Hi Steven,

For shooting afield with my Sigma 120-300mm my monopod setup goes like this...

First, I slapped one of these...

Rapid Connect Adapter With Sliding Mounting Plate 357PL 357 - Plate Adapters | Manfrotto:
http://www.manfrotto.us/rapid-connect-adapter-with-sliding-mounting-plate-357pl

...onto one of these...

Heavy Duty Grip Ball Head 322RC2 - Joystick | Manfrotto:
http://www.manfrotto.com/heavy-duty-grip-ball-head

...and then mounted that combo onto one of these...

Neotec Monopod With Safety Lock 685B - Neotec | Manfrotto:
http://www.manfrotto.com/neotec-monopod-with-safety-lock

...and, voila! A two trigger system to point anywhere from overhead to down-low! Pull to go up on the monopod, squeeze the monopod trigger to go down. Easy peasy, no latches, flip locks, twisty locks to mess with requiring the user to take their eyes off their target to fiddle and fumble with...zip. zip. you're there, eyes on the prize the whole time.

The only modification I made to this setup was to flip the handle on the trigger ball head (with supplied tool) to make it left-handed operable. So, left hand on the ballhead trigger, right hand on the monopod trigger, acquire my target, move right hand to shutter and rear AF button...click, click, click. All motions have become second nature, a true point and shoot rig.

Well, that's what works for me! Best of luck in your research!

Jimmy G

P.S. Links provided for informational purposes only. I have no affiliation with this manufacturer.

Jun 27, 2013 at 02:20 AM
Tapeman
• • •
p.2 #9 · Monopod Help for 300 2.8

If you can get lucky you can find a used Gitzo 1558 monopod with an integrated tilt head. I wouldn't sell mine in a million years.

Jun 27, 2013 at 02:27 AM
AJSJones
• • •
p.2 #10 · Monopod Help for 300 2.8

Steven Campbel wrote:
I just picked up a Canon 300 2.8 IS Ver. I. It seems like a lens you can hand hold, but I also hear it's useful to have a monopod. I would also like a tripod and head for this rig, but I know that is going to really cost me. The tripod and head I have now are not really up to the task of this new lens and a 7D. However, perhaps a monopod would be an affordable start.

My question is, what am I looking for here? I know nothing about them, and even less about what
...Show more
If the birds or wildlife are up at any significant angle, you will need a swivel head for up and down adjustments (rotating the whole rig gives you sideways/lateral rotation). If everything is within a few vertical degrees of eye level, then you don't need a head, just tilt the pod.

Jun 27, 2013 at 02:53 AM
Steven Campbel
• •
p.2 #11 · Monopod Help for 300 2.8

Thanks for the great responses! I appreciate the effort, links photos etc. Looks like I have a few options to reserach. There's a lot to absorb and get my head around. I'll start researching now. This helps alot.

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:42 AM
ChrisHA

p.2 #12 · Monopod Help for 300 2.8

If travel weight or being compact are important, here's another option to consider (copied from my blog under Putting Gear on a Diet - Ounce by Ounce).

6. Consider using a shoulder brace instead of a monopod. Make your own with a small ballhead and a 7 oz., 7.5 inch Leica tabletop tripod. This Leica tripod is angled, so perfect for positioning one leg against your armpit and the other two against your chest; or, adjust them so they're pressed into your shoulder and chest, etc. I use the Leica with the reasonably priced 12.5 oz. Giotto MH-1302-655 QR @ 13 lbs. load capacity (because I had one in the closet) and this combo helps me to support a pro body plus a 300/2.8 lens. The Really Right Stuff BH-30 @ 15 lb. load capacity would be comparable. With smaller lenses and for macro, you can use the Leica as designed; i.e., on tables, rocks, or sideways on walls. Note: the quick release clamp needs to be connected to the camera body to maximize neck comfort, so you need a plate. I use 4th Generation bi-directional camera plates because they're extremely light and versatile (aka you can mount cameras to ballhead/gimbals when using non-collared lenses). Although I haven't tried one, the Really Right Stuff Pocket 'Pods are now in stock. They're rated for 100 lbs., weigh 5 oz. and fold down to 6". Every ounce counts when traveling albeit I don't know how comfortable the Pocket 'Pod will be for supporting significant weight against one's chest and hands.

I figured this out after ordering/returning the Bushhawk (wasn't comfortable on my neck and was flimsy IMHO).

When I need a monopod - i.e., for rocky terrain - then I use the GM5541 monopod with a RRS monopod head.

Chris
http://www.wildliferhythms.com
http://chrisprestegardtraveltipcentral.blogspot.com/

Jul 03, 2013 at 10:59 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password