Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Monopod Help for 300 2.8

Steven Campbel
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Monopod Help for 300 2.8

I just picked up a Canon 300 2.8 IS Ver. I. It seems like a lens you can hand hold, but I also hear it's useful to have a monopod. I would also like a tripod and head for this rig, but I know that is going to really cost me. The tripod and head I have now are not really up to the task of this new lens and a 7D. However, perhaps a monopod would be an affordable start.

My question is, what am I looking for here? I know nothing about them, and even less about what type of head to use. I'll be shooting Rugby and birds, wildlife etc.

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:47 AM
rolette
• •
p.1 #2 · Monopod Help for 300 2.8

I mostly shoot my 300/2.8 handheld. When I do use a monopod, I don't use a head... just direct attach with a RRS quick release clamp.

Jay

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Steven Campbel
• •
p.1 #3 · Monopod Help for 300 2.8

rolette wrote:
I mostly shoot my 300/2.8 handheld. When I do use a monopod, I don't use a head... just direct attach with a RRS quick release clamp.

Jay

How does that work? The monopod has a screw at the top that would attach to the camera? Plate?

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Tapeman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Monopod Help for 300 2.8

The screw attaches to the foot on the lens.

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Monkey Falls
• •
p.1 #5 · Monopod Help for 300 2.8

This is the monopod that I use with my 300 2.8. It is the Gitzo GM2541. I attach it directly to the lens foot by screwing it in. It is very sturdy and supports the weight of the lens very well. I do not use any sort of ballhead with the monopod. I find that between the rotation of the lens foot and leaning the monopod forward, backward and side to side I can direct the lens anywhere I want to without difficulty.

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:15 PM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #6 · Monopod Help for 300 2.8

I use a Bogan/Manfroto 3218 I believe. Don't know if their numbering system is the same. I have one of their smaller ball heads on it so I can tilt the lens up or down if necessary-if you always shoot subjects at your same level-you wouldn't need a head, but I like to have one on the pod. Just get one that goes to your required height and that is sturdy enough to hold the equipment. I prefer aluminum, but there are other constructions. There are also models that have a set of small legs that can be extended/attached to the bottom so they are semi-self standing.

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:34 PM
lowa2
• • •
p.1 #7 · Monopod Help for 300 2.8

I use an acratech long lens head on my monopod with my big lenses. I then use my BlackRapid Sport strap with an acratech swift clamp to make sure I don't drop the heavy lenses. I do this with both the Sigma 120-300/2.8 OS and Canon 500/4IS.

I then install the pod into a belt support (in this case a cheapo cell phone holder I got at home depot).

And this is what it looks like:

It wasn't cheap to build this setup, but it saves my back and I didn't want to hang a 6000$ lens off a cheap no name clamp/strap!

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Steven Campbel
• •
p.1 #8 · Monopod Help for 300 2.8

Thanks for the information guys! Is there any advantage to using a ballhead or other type of head. This is the head I currently have:

http://www.gitzo.ca/product/72038.71852.82451.0.0/GH1780QR/_/Series_1_Quick_Release_Center_Ball_Head_with_Bubble_Sphere

Jun 26, 2013 at 01:25 PM
lowa2
• • •
p.1 #9 · Monopod Help for 300 2.8

Steven Campbel wrote:
Thanks for the information guys! Is there any advantage to using a ballhead or other type of head. This is the head I currently have:

http://www.gitzo.ca/product/72038.71852.82451.0.0/GH1780QR/_/Series_1_Quick_Release_Center_Ball_Head_with_Bubble_Sphere

With heavy lenses, there is no advantage. I used a ballhead once on a 300/2.8 and almost broke my wrist!

The acratech LL head doesn't bobble. It allows vertical and horizontal movement without the sloppyness of a ballhead.

Jun 26, 2013 at 01:34 PM
bigrob

p.1 #10 · Monopod Help for 300 2.8

I know some don't like ball heads as more chance of something going wrong (i.e. slipping out, not clicking in properly).

Jun 26, 2013 at 01:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

acoll123
• •
p.1 #11 · Monopod Help for 300 2.8

Monkey Falls wrote:
This is the monopod that I use with my 300 2.8. It is the Gitzo GM2541. I attach it directly to the lens foot by screwing it in. It is very sturdy and supports the weight of the lens very well. I do not use any sort of ballhead with the monopod. I find that between the rotation of the lens foot and leaning the monopod forward, backward and side to side I can direct the lens anywhere I want to without difficulty.

I have the same setup and use with my 300 2.8 IS ver 1 for field sports. I usually hand hold for gym sports since you have more opportunities to sit on the sideline while shooting.

Andy

Jun 26, 2013 at 01:56 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Monopod Help for 300 2.8

I have used an inexpensive ballhead on a monopod with both the 300 f2.8 and 500 f4 without any problems.

Not using a ballhead for shooting sports may be okay, but for wildlife it is too restrictive.

Jun 26, 2013 at 02:05 PM
Steven Campbel
• •
p.1 #13 · Monopod Help for 300 2.8

Again, thanks for the information! The Gitzo GM2541 is sold by Henry's here in Canada, so I can check that out. So, without a head, you can just screw the monopod directly onto the hole in the hole in the footing of the tripod mount?

Maybe that Acratech LL head is worth a look also?

Edited on Jun 26, 2013 at 02:16 PM · View previous versions

Jun 26, 2013 at 02:12 PM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Monopod Help for 300 2.8

BUSHHAWK !

Beats any monopod by a mile.

Jun 26, 2013 at 02:12 PM
Steven Campbel
• •
p.1 #15 · Monopod Help for 300 2.8

martines34 wrote:
BUSHHAWK !

Beats any monopod by a mile.

Expensive?

Jun 26, 2013 at 02:18 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Monopod Help for 300 2.8

I have had a Monfrotto 681B for a few years and it's been a fantastic monopod. Light, but extremely sturdy, and cheap! I've had everything up to an old 400 2.8 (very heavy) on it and it was great. Just packed it in my suitcase a few minutes ago actually to make another trip for a shoot I'm doing this weekend where it's going to be holding my 1DX and 500mm lens. It's also nice when you're walking to throw the whole rig over your shoulder and just hold on to the monopod leg to keep it in place on your shoulder.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5480-REG/Manfrotto_681B_681B_3_Section_Monopod.html

Jun 26, 2013 at 03:35 PM
mfreardon
• • •
p.1 #17 · Monopod Help for 300 2.8

Here's what I use:

http://www.calumetphoto.com/eng/product/calumet_7108_4_section_monopod_with_quick_release_tilt_head/ck7108k

This has worked well for me for several years.

Mike

Jun 26, 2013 at 04:14 PM
Steven Campbel
• •
p.1 #18 · Monopod Help for 300 2.8

Will Patterson wrote:
I have had a Monfrotto 681B for a few years and it's been a fantastic monopod. Light, but extremely sturdy, and cheap! I've had everything up to an old 400 2.8 (very heavy) on it and it was great. Just packed it in my suitcase a few minutes ago actually to make another trip for a shoot I'm doing this weekend where it's going to be holding my 1DX and 500mm lens. It's also nice when you're walking to throw the whole rig over your shoulder and just hold on to the monopod leg to keep it in place
...Show more

The price looks right, but what about maximun height? I'm 6'2, so should any monopod I get extend to at least that height? The Manfrotto you have only goes to a bit over 5 feet. It's a 3 section. Maybe I need a 4 section.

Jun 26, 2013 at 04:15 PM
mfreardon
• • •
p.1 #19 · Monopod Help for 300 2.8

The price looks right, but what about maximun height? I'm 6'2, so should any monopod I get extend to at least that height? The Manfrotto you have only goes to a bit over 5 feet. It's a 3 section. Maybe I need a 4 section.

The lens foot mounts to the top of the monopod or any quick release attachment that you might add. So monopod height + quick release height + vertical distance from the bottom of the lens foot to the camera eyecup should ideally = the height of your eye (not your overall height).

Hope that this helps.

Mike

Jun 26, 2013 at 04:22 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Monopod Help for 300 2.8

Steven Campbel wrote:

I am 6'1" and with the lens foot as mentioned already, the height is fine. There have been plenty of times where I've had to lower it a little to get the eye piece where I want.

Jun 26, 2013 at 04:50 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password