Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Duck Ospreys

surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Duck Ospreys

Ospreys from the town of Duck on the Outer Banks of NC that is. We were in Duck for two days a week ago. I knew where there was an Osprey nest viewable from the local boardwalk even though it was a little further off than I would have preferred, it had a nice viewing angle, and best of all, the male often set in a pine tree right next to the boardwalk. It was so accustomed to people that you could almost get to mfd with a 500mm lens. However, when I arrived at sunrise, I was very disappointed to find out the b/w had been extended, and the pine had been removed to make room for the extension.

The below shots were shot at two locations on two different days, and anywhere from sunrise to about noon, with varying cloud cover, so the light may be different from shot to shot. Some with and some without a 1.4 tc. Most from a tripod as the nests never moved.

A sign at the second location said something like "NO PUBLIC ACCESS". It was at a real estate office, so I went inside and asked if I could shoot from their parking lot. The very nice lady asked if I would like to shoot from their second floor deck,and I said that would be great.

Posted in the order taken, and as always, C&C appreciated ~ Ron

surfnron 2012

1) This crow decided to check me out, and walked towards me. Maybe it thought I had food.

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x lens    700mm    f/6.3    1/500s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

surfnron 2012

2) From the first nest.

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x lens    700mm    f/6.3    1/640s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

surfnron 2012

3) My personal favorite - full frame.

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x lens    700mm    f/6.3    1/2500s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

surfnron 2012

4) As a resort town, businesses advertise using airplanes.

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x lens    700mm    f/6.3    1/5000s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

surfnron 2012

5) Feeding time .

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x lens    700mm    f/6.3    1/3200s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jun 26, 2013 at 01:42 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Duck Ospreys

Lovely shots Ron. I didn't expect to see colors like that on a crow...pretty cool stuff. Did they get you to buy a lot while you were shooting...seems only fair. This real estate office certainly had location, location, location!
Eric

Jun 26, 2013 at 01:45 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Duck Ospreys

The rest of the nest shots are all from the second nest.

surfnron 2012

6) Dad is off to catch more fish.

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x lens    700mm    f/6.3    1/3200s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

surfnron 2012

7) Feeding time at the second nest, first day. This is the only shot I managed where you could see the chick with food.

surfnron 2012

8) Mom feeding a chick. The chick already knows how to use it's nictating membrane,

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x lens    700mm    f/6.3    1/5000s    800 ISO    -0.7 EV  

surfnron 2012

9) Dad doing a flyby. Note the beautiful sky...

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF500mm f/4L IS II USM lens    500mm    f/8.0    1/1250s    400 ISO    +1.0 EV  

surfnron 2012

10) There was some other action going on too.

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF500mm f/4L IS II USM lens    500mm    f/8.0    1/2000s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Jun 26, 2013 at 02:04 AM · View previous versions

Jun 26, 2013 at 01:55 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Duck Ospreys

More...

surfnron 2012

11) Every time we go to Duck, I wonder about doing this and taking a camera.

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF500mm f/4L IS II USM lens    500mm    f/8.0    1/1600s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

surfnron 2012

12) So mom redocrates while dad works.

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF500mm f/4L IS II USM lens    500mm    f/8.0    1/1250s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

surfnron 2012

13) Dad bringing home the bacon - er - fish.

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF500mm f/4L IS II USM lens    500mm    f/8.0    1/2000s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

surfnron 2012

14) Sushi delived by air - must have cost afortune.

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF500mm f/4L IS II USM lens    500mm    f/8.0    1/1250s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jun 26, 2013 at 02:01 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Duck Ospreys

Hi Ron,

The feeding chicks are real nice yet my pick is that stunning photo of the crow.

You might want to bring a fake x-mas tree with you and place it where the osprey can enjoy it.

Morris

Jun 26, 2013 at 02:09 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Duck Ospreys

Ron- It pains me to take the high road- but you so completely litter the low road that I have no choice .
Plus, these osprey shots are magnificent!
And there is a good story to be read because of the number and variety of images.
I have some questions, though:
In a couple of shots, an adult is flying with a fish in its claws- and the fish are headless. Are fish heads a delicacy and the adults eat them before bringing the rest of the fish to their babies?
Or do they remove the heads because they might be a problem for the indiscriminately gulping chicks?
I know that both adults take care of the nest; but you give the impression the mostly the female stays on it and the male brings food to her and their babies. Or?
Thanks, Ron, for whatever juvenile answer you may give . (I usually deserve it anyway .)
Charlie

Jun 26, 2013 at 02:21 AM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Duck Ospreys

Gorgeous stuff Ron

Jun 26, 2013 at 05:17 AM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Duck Ospreys

Wow. Guess it doesn't hurt to ask!

Jun 26, 2013 at 06:20 AM
thomas_1950
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Duck Ospreys

Gee whiz Ron. It doesn't get any better than that. Outstanding set of Osprey pictures!

Thanks for sharing,
Tom

Jun 26, 2013 at 08:41 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Duck Ospreys

excellent feeding set Ron

Jun 26, 2013 at 08:53 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Frogfish
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Duck Ospreys

What a wonderful series of a magnificent bird ! Impossible to pick an Osprey fav but like Morris I want to mention that the Crow shot is exceptionally impressive too !

Jun 26, 2013 at 09:39 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Duck Ospreys

eyelaser wrote:
Lovely shots Ron. I didn't expect to see colors like that on a crow...pretty cool stuff. Did they get you to buy a lot while you were shooting...seems only fair. This real estate office certainly had location, location, location!
Eric

Thanx Mr. Quickdraw. I didn't have to buy anything, but she asked me to send her a nice Osprey photo.

morris wrote:
Hi Ron,

The feeding chicks are real nice yet my pick is that stunning photo of the crow.

You might want to bring a fake x-mas tree with you and place it where the osprey can enjoy it.

Morris

Thanx Morris. I was pleased with the crow shot too. I wonder if the town managers even gave a thought to what they were doing when they removed the pine - probably not.

Charlie Shugart wrote:
Ron- It pains me to take the high road- but you so completely litter the low road that I have no choice .
Plus, these osprey shots are magnificent!
And there is a good story to be read because of the number and variety of images.
I have some questions, though:
In a couple of shots, an adult is flying with a fish in its claws- and the fish are headless. Are fish heads a delicacy and the adults eat them before bringing the rest of the fish to their babies?
Or do they remove the heads because they might be a problem for
...Show more

Go ahead and take the high road Charlie. The low road is way more fun, and besides, I'll be in Scotland afore ye. And thanx.
As far as the headless fish are concerned, I really don't know, but I have seen it many times before. As far as who is who, I'm applying human attributes to the Osprey.

For those who don't get the Scottish reference, go here.

sritri wrote:
Gorgeous stuff Ron

Thanx Shreeni.

dgdg wrote:
Wow. Guess it doesn't hurt to ask!

Thanx - it's always better to ask.

Ron

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:58 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Duck Ospreys

A grand collection Ron! Good photography!
Douglas

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Duck Ospreys

Excellent series Ron

Ted

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:45 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Duck Ospreys

Superb set Ron. Your fave is also mine. An excellent image.

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #16 · Duck Ospreys

Lovely set Ron. I think the 3rd is may favourite.

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:45 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · Duck Ospreys

Ron,
excellent series, sequence with wonderful sharpness and detail
I think the third is my favorite as well, but I would be thrilled with any of these
And that crow is looking pretty good too!
Scott

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Desert Drake
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Duck Ospreys

My gosh that looked like quite the outing, Ron. Great shots and angles of approach. You captured the black and dark purples in that crow to a "T"! Well done. I would imagine you took K's worth of pictures of the osprey. I would have for sure. I sure did enjoy this.
Al

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:51 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Duck Ospreys

Quite the trip Ron! Great work on all of these!

Charles

Jun 26, 2013 at 01:08 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · Duck Ospreys

What a set Ron! Love the shots into the Osprey nest, a refreshing change from the neck craning view we are usually afforded The crow is magnificent, you are now a member of the Crow Club that Martin and I started. What does that mean? Well, absolutely nothing Except it is an exclusive club Loving the set Ron

Tim

Jun 26, 2013 at 02:39 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password