New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Interior design photography

bvais
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Interior design photography

I was approached by the owner of the coffee shop where I display my art to photograph her shop for her website. She asked me how much would I charge for that, and I have absolutely no idea.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bruno

Jun 25, 2013 at 04:00 PM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Interior design photography

Free lattes for life.

How many shots (or how many hours)?
Models involved, i.e., shop w/ customers, baristas at work, etc.?
Supplemental lighting used?
Product shots?
Assistant needed?

Maybe just start by asking, "What's the scope and budget?"

Jun 25, 2013 at 06:00 PM
dkmiles1
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Interior design photography

Depends on outcomes. We usually have packages for real estate agents depending on the number (and quality) of photos...

Jun 25, 2013 at 06:03 PM
pstreet

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Interior design photography

dkmiles1 wrote:
Depends on outcomes. We usually have packages for real estate agents depending on the number (and quality) of photos...

It sounds like she wants the photos to market/advertise her shop which has nothing to do with real estate photography. The value of a real estate photograph ends the minute the agent gets a contract that will close. Advertising photography like this could be used for years in many type of media.

Get a shot list from the owner to start with. Find out how she wants to use the image - web site, brochures, paid advertising in local magazines, etc. The other poster had the right idea - get more information. Once you do let us know.

Jun 25, 2013 at 07:20 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Interior design photography

Have you ever shot interiors before? What is your approach going to be ... ambient only, on camera flash, off camera / studio lighting? Delivering SOOC or color correcting for mixed lighting @ window/artificial/falloff?

Concerns over licensing to infinity & beyond are one aspect of your pricing structure. So is "work for hire". Others are the amount of time that you'll be putting into the project and the level of workmanship that you'll be delivering.

As mentioned ... you need a more defined scope of work. You can get that by asking the client ... OR ... you can suggest to the client what it is that you are going to recommend / provide and the accompanying pricing structure for that delivery. Then ... if the client wants something else, they can always ask to modify it. I find that if you are asking them what they want (when they really don't know), it sends a message that you may not be the "expert" after all ... and that thought has a way of diminishing your value in both their mind and yours.

The client gets what the client wants, but I don't tell my doctor how to perform the procedure, just that I want it done. If the doctor were to ask me how I'd like it done ... well, you get the gist. I'm not saying that you should be "bull headed" about doing it your way ... just be sure and have a game plan going in. If you are relying on the client (some have good thoughts, some are clueless) to have a strategy at what they want, you may find yourself in a challenging situation to deliver something you're not prepared for.

If you're familiar with the "storyboard" concept, you can present that either in draft, sketch or verbal form. They'll either follow your lead or provide some feedback from that baseline ... but either way it shows you've come prepared as knowing your mission ... which adds value to you.

If you're only providing walk around snaps (which may be what she's thinking), then your pricing will likely reflect that. If you are providing more than that then you may have a challenge to value the work differently than she may be thinking. In the end, it will be "what the market will bear" ... but as you get more "scope" info lined out, the way to approach the $$$ will become more clear.

Jun 25, 2013 at 07:27 PM
pstreet

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Interior design photography

RustyBug wrote:
As mentioned ... you need a more defined scope of work. You can get that by asking the client ... OR ... you can suggest to the client what it is that you are going to recommend / provide and the accompanying pricing structure for that delivery. Then ... if the client wants something else, they can always ask to modify it. I find that if you are asking them what they want (when they really don't know), it sends a message that you may not be the "expert" after all ... and that thought has a way of diminishing
...Show more

Now that is some of the best advice I have ever heard on an online forum. I work with clients that are educated and forget that working with clients with little knowledge of licensing takes educating them. Of course I like this better than educating as it is the Pro from Dover approach.

Jun 25, 2013 at 08:27 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Interior design photography

Just don't use the term "educating" too much, it sounds condescending.

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:16 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.