Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Anyone using Photo Ninja?

andrenth

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Anyone using Photo Ninja?

I see it mentioned more and more online, always with a lot of praise. I guess it counts as "alt PP software"

Anyone here moved completely from Lightroom, Capture One, etc to Photo Ninja? Does it have all the main features (eg. local adjustments), or is it meant to be used in conjunction with some more complete suite?

Cheers,
Andre

Jun 25, 2013 at 05:31 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.1 #2 · Anyone using Photo Ninja?

I tried it for a couple of weeks. Really nice conversions, good neutral color, great dynamic range, great handling of noise. But in the end, I went back to Capture One since it's a more fully featured program and I just like the way my files look after being converted in Capture One.

I guess if I was looking for a very basic raw conversion with the intent of doing the bulk of my editing in Photoshop, PN would be great. But I do more to my image in Capture One and usually use Photoshop just for sharpening, touch ups and resizing.

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:40 PM
CalW
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Anyone using Photo Ninja?

I am using PN along with PS CS5 - details here:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1216885/0#11592046

Bottom line: The rendering is great, some tools (e.g. color adjustment) are truly weird, others seem magical (e.g. detail.) I haven't settled on a work flow, but for sure doing the conversion and rendering in PN gives me better results than ACR.

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tariq Gibran
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Anyone using Photo Ninja?

I use PN occasionally. In testing PN against ACR and Capture One, I found PN able to maintain highlight detail to a much greater degree than the others. I also think what PN does with the "Detail" adjustment to be unique and, as mentioned above, somewhat magical. Because of workflow and other requirements (custom camera profiles for instance) I really only use PN for one-off images and not everything I shoot.

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:22 AM
ytwong
• • •
p.1 #5 · Anyone using Photo Ninja?

I am moving to Capture one, quite like it. Works great with Nikon files and Sony files (haven't used it with other raw files yet), but lens profile support is poor compare to DXO or LR. Sony raw files are much better in C1 than in LR/ACR.

Tried the PN in its early days, probably in its beta stage (because I'm a Noise Ninja customer), didn't like it (mainly tried with NEX-7 file, which produced weird color in the shadows) so I didn't purchase it despite huge discount to former customers. Maybe I will try it again if they offer discount again.

DXO seems good with some Sony files as well, particularly with Sony and RX-100 files. I like the option to correct distortion without maintaining aspect ratio (it produces a larger and wider image). I just don't like my D700 files requires a "Pro" edition...

While I haven't find a photoshop substitute yet (I do have Corel Paint shop pro), the Creative Cloud thing triggered me to stop relying on Adobe.

I do use ACR (Adobe bridge) to convert files when I 'm lazy to import photos.

Jun 26, 2013 at 01:20 AM
tsdevine
• • •
p.1 #6 · Anyone using Photo Ninja?

I used Capture One and Raw Shooter Pro (until Adobe bought them) a number of years ago, Lightroom never grew on me. For the past few years I've been using DxO. About a month ago I started using Photo Ninja and I've actually started going back through my portfolio, reprocessing them in PN. I still do some final touches occasionally in CS6, but PN gives you a decent amount of control. It's fairly new, so I imagine it's only going to get better.

-Tim

Jun 26, 2013 at 01:35 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password