Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Seventeen

canerino
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Seventeen

I had 7 weddings in 9 weeks. Thats the most I've ever had in that span of time. I know its not as many as most of you here, but it was a grind since I had my full time job, coaching two baseball teams, and picking up a third job mowing lawns. This is the fifth wedding of that stretch.

Jun 25, 2013 at 05:05 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #2 · Seventeen

1-3 are really nicely lit. Not sure i'd use 10 with 13 so close behind (it's similar but stronger imo). nice job as usual!

edited: for to fix grammar.

Jun 25, 2013 at 05:34 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Seventeen

Titles... I'm seeing a pattern.

Okay, here's what I see...

4, 7, 8, 9, 11... These are not "you". I'm not sure if you're handing post over to Tony, but the processing is not "you". The rest of the set is "you" by a mile.

Shooting... after yesterday's post, I revisited the comments about your "changing style". I have to agree that you've made some changes in focal lengths. Strangely, its the same numbers I mention above show these changes. The rest of the set is "classic Chuck".

So, I ask myself... what is it? Is it the processing? Is it the B&W? Is it the selection of what you're showing? WTF

The B&W is distinctly "you". Never abandon it. Never change it. 'Nuff said.

However, I do believe the numbers I listed above need looking at. Those images need to be brought back into the "Chuck" realm.

Maybe it's just a matter of images you're showing? I'd be very interested in the workflow process now that you're with Tony - both in processing and exhibition. Is he handling it all? Is what you're posting "your" processing? If so, are you being given direction?

Trying to help where you've asked, but I need to know what's going on behind the scenes to see if I'm right in my thinking.

I have a feeling the [color] processing is yours. I just also feel you're trying to "meld" with Tony, and you need to take some time to really find something that fits with your black and whites. The color images I didn't mention... THAT'S where you need to be all the time.

Maybe it's just that I've not seen this much "open light" from you before. Maybe it's [the brightness] just a shock to a handful of us?

Hope this is the feedback you've been looking for.

Jun 25, 2013 at 05:35 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Seventeen

Thanks DHP!

Alan,

I appreciate the time you've taken to respond! I generally do not respond to critique as not to risk being seen as 'defensive'. You did ask some questions, so here goes:

1) I have a studio manager who handles all of my processing/delivery/client services. She edits the bulk stuff, but these were all edited by me and all blog posts are edited by me. In terms of direction, I am not given any direction by Tony (which is a good thing). It was something we talked about when I joined him. I operate as if I did when I had my own studio going. Tony did help develop a preset for me when I first moved to LR since I had been all photoshop up until that point.

2) Regarding 4, 7, 8, 9, 11. The focal lengths are as follows:

4 - 24-70L @ 41mm
7 - 35L
8 - 24-70L @ 24mm
9 - 24-70L @ 24mm
11 - 24-70L @ 35mm

This is where I spend most of the day! So I'm not exactly sure what you are seeing, but surely it isnt focal length. Same was said yesterday, but all shots were taken with the same lenses that I shot with for the past 6 years. This wedding I just posted was the first where I used my 24-70L v2. But even using it, I'm almost always under 50mm.

3) Is it the images I'm showing? I am not holding anything back, really. I'm shooting the same way (or trying to shoot the same way) as I have done long before I ever got into weddings.

4) Open light. Not really sure what to say about this one. I've been shooting some outdoor weddings in the afternoon lately and it is summer here! Not really sure what else to do with it except make it look as it looked! I went back to my second wedding ever. I second shot with Evan Baines. It was a summer wedding with a room with lots of natural light. We just shot it as it was. Here is a shot from the parents dance and it was probably around 7pm:

5) Is it how I'm shooting? I dont think so. My approach generally involves me being close to the subjects. You pointed out #11 as not being 'me'. Not sure why? Thats exactly the type of shot I've always tried to make. Content, composition, light, timing. That's my mantra. And that image has them all. I'm close...that was 35mm. I dont think there is a shot that is more 'me' than that one (in this set). I actually think the others that you mentioned fit the bill too (4, 7, 8, 9).

Thanks again Alan, hope that came off as more conversational than defensive.

Chuck

Jun 25, 2013 at 06:52 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Seventeen

amonline wrote:
Okay, here's what I see...

4, 7, 8, 9, 11... These are not "you". I'm not sure if you're handing post over to Tony, but the processing is not "you". The rest of the set is "you" by a mile.

However, I do believe the numbers I listed above need looking at. Those images need to be brought back into the "Chuck" realm.

Maybe it's just a matter of images you're showing? I'd be very interested in the workflow process now that you're with Tony - both in processing and exhibition. Is he handling it all? Is what you're posting "your" processing?
...Show more

I think you're reading way too much into Chuck's relationship with me ... The only thing that's changed is the watermark.

Jun 25, 2013 at 06:58 PM
Brian Virts
• • •
p.1 #6 · Seventeen

These are lit very differently than your usual work?

Jun 25, 2013 at 06:59 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #7 · Seventeen

Another great set. I'm really liking your recent portrait work. 1, 2 & 3 feel more like paintings than photographs, if that makes sense

Jun 25, 2013 at 07:03 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Seventeen

Brian Virts wrote:
These are lit very differently than your usual work?

which ones?

the only ones that have artificial light are as follows:

8 - my normal reception lighting setup since i became a primary
9 - my normal reception lighting setup since i became a primary
13 - LED light behind the couple (i've done that in the past)
14 - direct flash with shutter drag (have shots from 2010 with this effect)
15 - i used the video guy's light (did this in the third wedding i ever shot)

Jun 25, 2013 at 07:07 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Seventeen

morby wrote:
Another great set. I'm really liking your recent portrait work. 1, 2 & 3 feel more like paintings than photographs, if that makes sense

thank you! its definitely an area i've been trying to improve on.

Jun 25, 2013 at 07:07 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Seventeen

canerino wrote:
Thanks again Alan, hope that came off as more conversational than defensive.

Definitely. I was just trying to give you what [impressions] I know you come to this board for. I stand by my 'take some time to hone the color side of things'. I just think there's something better you're capable of in these brighter situations. But hey, if the clients are happy, who cares!

Tony Hoffer wrote:
I think you're reading way too much into Chuck's relationship with me ... The only thing that's changed is the watermark.

I think you read way too much into my response. lol I did ASK those questions because I thought it was questionable. I never said I thought you were "directly" impacting it; but I was curious. After all, Chuck really didn't do much color before hooking up with you. So, it's hard to tell if he's trying to blend with your brand on purpose, or not. I actually did said I thought it was Chuck's processing, but I did believe it was probably based on your "input"... which he verified with the "preset" thing. No harm, no fouls... just my impressions.

Regardless, he still produces kick ass work, and you're lucky to have him as a partner.

Jun 25, 2013 at 07:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

fotojennik
• •
p.1 #11 · Seventeen

Who cares if someone on an online forum thinks you are shooting differently or processing differently, or doing whatever you do differently...

If you like it, and clients like it, do it!

Anyways, Chuck, I really like this set.

I love shots like 12 that give such a sense of movement and commotion.
1-3 are great portraits

The only ones I didn't care for were 5 (don't care for her bright white skin tone) and 13 (because of the odd shadow cast on the lady's face)

Otherwise, carry on and keep doing awesome things

Jun 25, 2013 at 07:28 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Seventeen

amonline wrote:
I actually did said I thought it was Chuck's processing, but I did believe it was probably based on your "input"... which he verified with the "preset" thing. No harm, no fouls... just my impressions.

I wouldnt view it as input as much as me asking for help with LR4. Tony has never ever ever said something like 'your images should look like ________' .

Jun 25, 2013 at 07:44 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Seventeen

Yea, I wouldn't think that he would.

How do you feel about your color processing? I know you're constantly looking for feedback on it. (I'm the same way about my b&w... which is why I don't do much) I understand that feeling. Where are you on it? Do you feel like you're still searching a bit for your niche? Seems like a few of these recent weddings have been in some pretty bright situations. (receptions)

Jun 25, 2013 at 07:55 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Seventeen

One thing that I think people forget is that I'm relatively new at weddings. It's not a cop out, or an excuse, but in a lot of ways I'm still finding my way. I think this was wedding #21 for me as primary. I've been using LR for less than a year.

I think my color processing is just OK. I often struggle with while balance, particularly the decision to keep it as it appeared when I shot it or corrected for white. I'm not searching for any niche at all...I think I found it. My goal is to shoot 12 weddings a year and I'm lucky enough to be associated with a great guy to get to that number. I really just want to create quality work for the people who pay me to do so!

Four of the last five weddings I posted here were in the afternoon/evening for the ceremony and/or part of the reception:

Fifteen: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1222336
Quick 12: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1218162/0#11601875
Lucky 13: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1218715/0#11606941
and this thread.

Jun 25, 2013 at 08:37 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Seventeen

I think we'll continue to see your color work evolve. That's not a bad thing. It's good. I just think it'll continue to grow until you've found where it fits "better with" your perfected B&W. I think I'm the complete polar opposite of you. lol

Jun 25, 2013 at 08:45 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Seventeen

What is interesting is that the wedding I posted before the ones I listed above here was this one:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1207312/0#11503736

Sure, the setting is different, but I think my approach on the day and what I look for is the same...I think.

I hope I continue to evolve!

Jun 25, 2013 at 08:51 PM
mineymole
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · Seventeen

Could it be that in the past you only posted one or two images and those were really the cream of the crop? You, like all of us, have to also photograph the mundane at weddings. The images that are not "signature" images for instance. And you have perhaps gotten bolder and are posting more of those rather than *just* selecting the truly standout images?

Jun 25, 2013 at 09:24 PM
Aron Goss
• • •
p.1 #18 · Seventeen

Great coverage. #14 is a standout.

Jun 25, 2013 at 09:35 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Seventeen

canerino wrote:
What is interesting is that the wedding I posted before the ones I listed above here was this one:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1207312/0#11503736

Sure, the setting is different, but I think my approach on the day and what I look for is the same...I think.

I hope I continue to evolve!

That set (while straight up hoffer color ...lol) is where you need to be all the time from an exposure standpoint. I remember when I saw that set, I thought "Hoffer". That's not bad. It's fits perfectly with your B&W. That set is, for lack of a better word, "perfect". I think the key is taming the bright situations like in these recent sets.

Jun 25, 2013 at 09:42 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Seventeen

1, 3, 12, 13, 14 and 16 feel somewhat more like your style to me, though most of them still are not as complex as what I'm used to seeing from you. They are generally darker like your normal use of b&w, IMO.

10 and 11 look...like stuff I would do. Generous flare, certain orange/peach colors (augmented by the flare). However, in reviewing one of your other popular sets I see that you have done this before...

4-9 look brighter than "you." The whites are super-white or more dominant than I'm used to in your photos. None of them have that same depth and complexity I expect from you, even if some of the shots are very likable (the bouquet kick especially). 7 is absolutely something like I would do: center subject, bright, single target, point of interest off to one side without being given any special importance, etc...

I suppose I don't generally associate your photos with "fun" so much as I do with "serious, emotional and thoughtful documentary." I like the idea of being able to balance the concepts and become more diverse, but I also very much appreciate what I recognized as your original style with its depth, complexity and especially its difficulty to reproduce. The fact that your original style shows a more careful and observant perspective than mine makes it something I consider much harder to obtain than...the other shots.

I wonder when those "complete story in one photo" shots will come along again.

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:48 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password