Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

d5100 + Swiss/Netherlands/UK trip - Lens Recommendation?

thcaleb

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · d5100 + Swiss/Netherlands/UK trip - Lens Recommendation?

Wow, a lot of exceptional food for thought. Thanks very much everyone. I don't check the forum for a day and was going to come back and say I was thinking about changing gears to a Fuji X-E1 or a Sony NEX-6 (due to their lighter weights / smaller form factor). Now I'm not so sure anymore Too many good options in this thread—and in the mirrorless camp.

I will have to spend some time considering these. Once again, thank you very much. If you do have opinions on the X-E1/NEX-6 substitution as well, I would love to hear those.

Jun 27, 2013 at 07:00 PM
Amrit

p.2 #2 · d5100 + Swiss/Netherlands/UK trip - Lens Recommendation?

don't worry about the camera, bring a raincoat!

anyhow, I have a D5100 + 16-85mm. I like it, it's a small package and will fit in a non-camera shoulderbag. For such a relatively small package very flexible and very good quality and it atracts little attention. When I'm on holiday I'll bring this package. For cities maybe add a bit more wide-angle, for landscape a bit more zoom.

I'm actually Dutch, and live in The Hague, have spend a lot of holidays in Switserland, and last year went to Ireland for a holiday [I like the Irish, they like their beer ]. The last few years I have brought the D5100 with 16-85 and a 105 Nikon micro vr-lens with me, worked great for me. Allthough I am considering a change to a successor of the Fuji X-Pro [not an early adaptor] for a bit more stealth and less weight.

But regardless, enjoy your trip, bring a raincoat and watch out for cyclists when you're in the Netherlands.

Jun 27, 2013 at 09:44 PM
Delatant
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · d5100 + Swiss/Netherlands/UK trip - Lens Recommendation?

Great options suggested here - many are excellent choices. However, now that you have opened the door to a new camera, I would strongly consider moving to Fuji X-E1 (or updated X-Pro) - I went on my honeymoon last fall to Hawaii - bought the Olympus OMD E-M5 (although I then owned 3 Nikons/dozen lens of very high caliber) - shot over 3,000 pics - never once regretted not taking a Nikon! Unless I go professionally (and I am not sure even then), I don't think I will ever travel outside the states with any current Nikon/Canon APS or FF camera - period. So instead of just looking at lenses, you might want to reconsider cameras also.

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ghostinz
• •
p.2 #4 · d5100 + Swiss/Netherlands/UK trip - Lens Recommendation?

I like what Frogfish said. There is no perfect solution. Part of the point of having a DSLR is so you can switch lenses to accommodate the environment. As far as cost and such, remember you can have it fast, good, and cheap, but only TWO of those features at any one time!.

If you polled most of the people here, you would probably find they have a minimum of two lenses with them at all times. Partly because the last thing you want is one lens, and a failure.

Just want to carry a small camera/lens?, then snag a compact super zoom like the Canon SX500 or something similar. My daughter has a Lumix Fz150 that I use on occasion. It takes great photos.

Otherwise, take your camera and a couple of good lenses and have fun. I would say an 18-200 paired with a 35 1.8 would be a good combo and fits nicely into a small case. The Tamron does focus a bit slow, but you aren't doing sports with it, so it would give you good results too. you could even just do an 18-55 and a 55-200 to save a few bucks.

Do you have a budget of what you want to spend?

Jun 28, 2013 at 05:10 AM
jemfinch

p.2 #5 · d5100 + Swiss/Netherlands/UK trip - Lens Recommendation?

It's an FX lens, but I've had some pleasant success with the new 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 VR on my D5100. It's a decent range (36-128 equivalent), pretty cheap to acquire (regularly $350 LN or EX+, since there was a market glut and Nikon offered it basically for free with the D600 for awhile), and it's small/light enough that it doesn't feel like you're sacrificing the lightweight nature of the D5100.

It's not fast, but maybe you'll have the spare cash for a 35mm f/1.8G or 50mm f/1.8G?

Jun 28, 2013 at 05:51 AM
thcaleb

p.2 #6 · d5100 + Swiss/Netherlands/UK trip - Lens Recommendation?

Much thanks for the additional sweet lens combos. And thanks for the cyclist warning. I am one myself so maybe I'll be the person to watch out for. I will keep 'compromise' in mind while I decide between each of these options.

Although, I am strongly considering the NEX-6 or X-E1. Seems like NEX-6 is rated as a better camera on sensor sites (which I understand aren't definite), though lenses for the X-E1 seems to be better base quality. The articulating screen on the NEX seems nice too. I will start a thread in the alt section and keep following this one for Nikon specific combos.

Edit: there seems to be enough nex-6 vs x-e1 threads already, and a corny but entertaining video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmwEQB0KM8U

I very much appreciate all your comments and willingness to help. Seeing the different ways to approach and solve my problem has been a fantastic learning experience for me. The (16-85 or the Tamron) and a prime are becoming more attractive to me.

Also, I'm quite stunned by sjms's shots, fantastic.

Jun 28, 2013 at 06:45 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password