Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · D700 does Dance (my first time shooting dancers)

jasoncallen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D700 does Dance (my first time shooting dancers)

So the other day, I had the opportunity to try my hand at dance photography for the first time ever. My friend Abigail was looking to get some promotional shots for an upcoming duet performance, and I was happy to contribute with my time and efforts.

I brought my D700, 18-35 f/3.5-4.5 AFD, and Sigma 85 f/1.4, SB-910, a shoot-through umbrella, a 9' black seamless backdrop, and a stand.

I shot mostly off of the backdrop, as 9' width proved limiting while photographing 2 moving subjects, even with the 85mm's narrower angle of view. Forget staying on the backdrop with the 18-35!

Here are some of my favorites from the day, curious to hear what you guys & gals think:

JCA_0177 by Jason Allen Photo, on Flickr

JCA_0144 by Jason Allen Photo, on Flickr

JCA_0127 by Jason Allen Photo, on Flickr

JCA_0196 by Jason Allen Photo, on Flickr

Jun 25, 2013 at 04:14 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D700 does Dance (my first time shooting dancers)

Nice ones, Jason.

Jun 25, 2013 at 09:05 AM
Frogfish
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D700 does Dance (my first time shooting dancers)

The last shot is really lovely ! Though not much to do with dance

For promo shots maybe it would be better not to have them both looking at the camera most of the time. Shooting up from a low perspective makes women/girls look chunkier than they are. The wall on the right would have made a decent alternative backdrop rather than have the practice bars in the shots ? Just some suggestions - probably wrong on all of them !

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:39 AM
jasoncallen
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D700 does Dance (my first time shooting dancers)

Thanks guys!

The last shot was just Manual mode, 1/250th @ f/8, ISO 200, flash set to i-TTL +/- 0.0, boomed in overhead through a shoot-through umbrella. That's a very quick setup for that "big, soft light" look on a low-key background.

I have a bunch of shots where they're not looking at the camera, but I really enjoyed the energy in these - they both have great smiles.

That wall without the rail was my preferred choice as a backdrop, but we were space-limited (about 25'x20' small practice studio), so I needed to add some depth to the shots by shooting into the corner.

Jun 26, 2013 at 02:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

baabbott
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D700 does Dance (my first time shooting dancers)

Hi Jason,

How far away from the backdrop are the girls in the last photo? When I shoot with a black paper backdrop in my garage studio, my black comes out gray with too much light thrown on it. Maybe the subject is not far enough away from the paper?

Jun 26, 2013 at 04:26 PM
ytwong
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D700 does Dance (my first time shooting dancers)

The 4th photo is lovely.

I have to say I actually dislike the big foot photo (#2)

#3 look more like judo to my eyes (I know, it's just me, sorry!)

Overall, maybe the complete lack of motion blur make me feel that they are not really dancing but posing?

And yes, I'd prefer the wall without rail as backdrop..

I have a feeling that... if the pomotion is about the duet performance, the photos seems showing too much space of the empty practice studio....I would connect "dancing class" rather than dancing performance looking at the photos.

Ok, just some throughts from a random viewer, not from a professional

Again, #4 is really nice

Jun 26, 2013 at 04:40 PM
jasoncallen
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D700 does Dance (my first time shooting dancers)

baabbott wrote:
Hi Jason,

How far away from the backdrop are the girls in the last photo? When I shoot with a black paper backdrop in my garage studio, my black comes out gray with too much light thrown on it. Maybe the subject is not far enough away from the paper?

The subject to background distance was about 10'. The light was only about 2' from their heads though - deliberately very close to the subjects, which limits flash spill.

ytwong wrote:
The 4th photo is lovely.

I have to say I actually dislike the big foot photo (#2)

#3 look more like judo to my eyes (I know, it's just me, sorry!)

Overall, maybe the complete lack of motion blur make me feel that they are not really dancing but posing?

And yes, I'd prefer the wall without rail as backdrop..

I have a feeling that... if the pomotion is about the duet performance, the photos seems showing too much space of the empty practice studio....I would connect "dancing class" rather than dancing performance looking at the photos.

Ok, just some throughts from a random viewer, not
...Show more

The shots are deliberately framed with empty space for promotional text! I agree, as standalone shots, they do feel empty.

Also, #3 looked like judo even when in motion! Carrie was spinning Abby around like a ragdoll in that movement!

Edited on Jun 26, 2013 at 11:30 PM · View previous versions

Jun 26, 2013 at 06:19 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D700 does Dance (my first time shooting dancers)

image 2 and 4 are my fav's ...... I design lighting for many dance shows ...

Jun 26, 2013 at 07:17 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password