Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Fujifilm X-M1 and XC 16-50mm OIS lens

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Official: Fujifilm X-M1 and XC 16-50mm OIS lens

Official: Fujifilm X-M1 and XC 16-50mm OIS lens

Fujifilm has announced the X-M1, a compact-bodied mirrorless camera. It uses twin electronic control dials to change exposure parameters and is equipped with a 16MP APS-C X-Trans CMOS sensor and a tilting 920k dot 3" LCD screen.

It comes with a new kit zoom, the XC 16-50mm F3.6-5.6 OIS that offers a 24-75mm equivalent range and optical stabilization.

Main features:
  • 16.3MP APS-C X-Trans CMOS Sensor
  • One Handed Operation & The 3.0-inch, 920K-dot Tilt LCD screen
  • Built-in Wi-Fi Connectivity
  • Full HD 1080p Video with Stereo Sound
  • Focal Plane Shutter
  • 100-25600 ISO Sensitivities
  • Magnesium Alloy Body
  • External Microphone Outlet

Now available for pre-order at B&H Photo:

Fujifilm X-M1 Mirrorless Digital Camera Body:

Fujifilm X-M1 Mirrorless Kits:

Fujifilm X-M1 Mirrorless Lenses:

Jun 25, 2013 at 04:12 AM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.1 #2 · Official: Fujifilm X-M1 and XC 16-50mm OIS lens

Wow. Updated sensor?
Great price.
Brown is rather handsome.

Jun 25, 2013 at 05:34 AM
Karel Geertsem

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Official: Fujifilm X-M1 and XC 16-50mm OIS lens

Could this be a viable Leica Vario X alternative?

Jun 25, 2013 at 07:19 AM
chris78cpr
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Official: Fujifilm X-M1 and XC 16-50mm OIS lens

Looks rather incredible!

Jun 25, 2013 at 09:48 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Official: Fujifilm X-M1 and XC 16-50mm OIS lens

Karel G:
Wider lens, faster lens and with OIS, articulated LCD, way cheaper and good looking. I'd take this over the Leica Vario-X any day. And, you can change lenses too.

Fuji are rolling them out now. Awesome. I am not in the market myself but I like the way they are heading with this.

Jun 25, 2013 at 02:08 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Official: Fujifilm X-M1 and XC 16-50mm OIS lens

I'm waiting to see the non-kit version price for the 16-50. The UK price for it is insane (440 pounds), I'm hoping it's closer to $250 here in the US. It's only a $100 adder to the kit, so I'm hoping it's relatively inexpensive by itself. Sample images from it look pretty darn good, and while it's a slow lens, if it's quality optically, it's got a great range, and I might look to pick one up. The 18-55 is a good lens, but a bit pricy...I had it for a while, but exchanged it for the 60/2.4. The 16-50 could be a good lens to add to the stable if the price is right. Given the plastic build, it should be pretty cheap. I'd imagine a lot of people will be buying the kit and selling the lens, so I could pick one up that way too.

I love the look of the brown X-M1, though it doesn't look good with black lenses.

Jun 25, 2013 at 02:57 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Official: Fujifilm X-M1 and XC 16-50mm OIS lens

Jman13 wrote:
I love the look of the brown X-M1, though it doesn't look good with black lenses.

yup
better with this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/984431-REG/fujifilm_fujinon_xf_27mm_f_2_8.html
although it doesn't look they offer it bundled

Jun 25, 2013 at 03:03 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Official: Fujifilm X-M1 and XC 16-50mm OIS lens

The 18-55 really was a bit too big/heavy to balance well on the smaller X series camera's I thought, not to mention as Jordan stated, a bit pricey.

The 16-50mm could be a nice alternative for those times when you might want the convenience of a zoom, and/or OS, but don't really want to sink too much money into something you wouldn't use a lot because you've already got the great Fuji primes.

Bit of a shame they didn't make a 23mm pancake as it would fit nicely into the lens lineup.

The 27 seems a bit redundant if you've already got the 35mm f1.4 as they are kind of close in focal length, and the 28mm equiv is kind of pricey for its performance.

A compact little 23 pancake would of fit nicely between the 21/50 equiv's and been a nice stop gap til a 23mm f1.4 comes out

Jun 25, 2013 at 05:06 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Official: Fujifilm X-M1 and XC 16-50mm OIS lens

Shame no touch screen as well, though the tilt feature is super handy. I though touch screens were a gimmick til my OM-D and darn if people able to just touch any part of the screen to move the focus point around is one of the handiest features to come along in ages

Jun 25, 2013 at 05:07 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Official: Fujifilm X-M1 and XC 16-50mm OIS lens

Here's the lens road map. I'm going to need that 23mm F1.4.

Looks like I'm definitely getting a Fuji camera... now which one...

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/xf_lens/roadmap/

Jun 25, 2013 at 05:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Official: Fujifilm X-M1 and XC 16-50mm OIS lens

Guess there was no way to get a viewfinder in that size package. I just can't work without one.

On a totally irrelevant note: I wonder how many ways Fuji can name something with X in it? Do you suppose there is a Mulder endorsed "X-Files 1000" headed our way?

Jun 25, 2013 at 05:15 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Official: Fujifilm X-M1 and XC 16-50mm OIS lens

Well, the name of their mirrorless mount is the X mount, so expect all X mount cameras to start with X. They also view their other high-end cameras to be part of the X series (X100s, X20, etc). Their lower end is the 'Finepix' series. Yes, I know at one point they made DSLRs with Finepix in the name, but not any more.

It's sort of like asking why all of Canon's lenses have 'EF' in the name, or how many cameras they can make with a '1' in the name.

Edited on Jun 25, 2013 at 05:21 PM · View previous versions

Jun 25, 2013 at 05:19 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Official: Fujifilm X-M1 and XC 16-50mm OIS lens

FlyPenFly wrote:
Here's the lens road map. I'm going to need that 23mm F1.4.

Looks like I'm definitely getting a Fuji camera... now which one...

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/xf_lens/roadmap/

That 56mm f1.2 R sounds even more tempting still.....

14/23/56 for a 21mm/35mm/85mm fast prime trifecta would be pretty heavenly for me

Jun 25, 2013 at 05:21 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Official: Fujifilm X-M1 and XC 16-50mm OIS lens

Yeah, the 56/1.2 should be awesome. I hope it's similar in size to the 60 macro (though I'd imagine it'll be heavier). I'd probably swap the 60 for the 56, since I use my Olympus 60/2.8 on the OM-D for almost all my macro due to the much faster AF, IS, much larger magnification and slightly better image quality.

Jun 25, 2013 at 05:23 PM
itai195
• • •
p.1 #15 · Official: Fujifilm X-M1 and XC 16-50mm OIS lens

This really does look pretty small: http://camerasize.com/compare/#396,466

With the pancake it should make a nice, compact combination. I really am still a little ticked that the pancake doesn't have an aperture ring, though.

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:45 PM
itai195
• • •
p.1 #16 · Official: Fujifilm X-M1 and XC 16-50mm OIS lens

millsart wrote:
That 56mm f1.2 R sounds even more tempting still.....

14/23/56 for a 21mm/35mm/85mm fast prime trifecta would be pretty heavenly for me

Yeah, I may go that way too once the 23 and 56 are out, but I'm not sure. The 35 would be hard to part with, but I could see it happening if the 23 is stellar. I'm almost definitely getting the 56mm, barring some unexpected circumstance like Fuji removing the aperture ring

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Official: Fujifilm X-M1 and XC 16-50mm OIS lens

itai195 wrote:
I really am still a little ticked that the pancake doesn't have an aperture ring, though.

me too but at the end of the day I dont think it would match the philosophy of this camera (PASM instead of analog controls, no VF) and the target group would probably not know what to do with it anyway
I think fuji would be better off adding a touchscreen because the camera is made to be operated from the back, an aperture ring would probably be an inconvenience more than anything else

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Official: Fujifilm X-M1 and XC 16-50mm OIS lens

We shouldn't have to worry about the aperture ring in the other lenses. And we should have seen that the 27 wouldn't have one. The 'R' in the lens name means it has an aperture ring, and the roadmap released in April showed the 27 without the R, and the 23, 56 and 10-24 with it.

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
corposant
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Official: Fujifilm X-M1 and XC 16-50mm OIS lens

itai195 wrote:
Yeah, I may go that way too once the 23 and 56 are out, but I'm not sure. The 35 would be hard to part with, but I could see it happening if the 23 is stellar. I'm almost definitely getting the 56mm, barring some unexpected circumstance like Fuji removing the aperture ring

I already sold the 35mm - I would be interested in the 23 if it performs well across the frame at the wider apertures.

I am sure it's not a coincidence that Fuji pushed all the most interesting (read: expensive) lenses towards the holiday season, possibly to coincide with the body updates to the Pro/E.

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:01 AM
jonrock
• •
p.1 #20 · Official: Fujifilm X-M1 and XC 16-50mm OIS lens

millsart wrote:
Bit of a shame they didn't make a 23mm pancake as it would fit nicely into the lens lineup.

I think they purposely avoided doing that in order to not weaken the sales of the X100s though people have been saying the same thing about Fuji not releasing the 23mm f1.4 as one of the three initial prime lenses for the system. I know it's quite possible to make one as Canon has a decent pancake 35mm equivalent for their EOS-M camera.

millsart wrote:
Shame no touch screen as well, though the tilt feature is super handy. I though touch screens were a gimmick til my OM-D and darn if people able to just touch any part of the screen to move the focus point around is one of the handiest features to come along in ages

I'm kind of hoping they're putting one in for the X-Pro 2/X-E2. It's extremely helpful to change focus points on my NEX 5N.

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:02 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password